Thread: OT: wifi modem router help

vCash

OT: wifi modem router help

I need to find a new router/modem combo for my crib. I have AT&T service. What is a good modem to buy to get my wifi spinning? Thanks
    Wrap it in Maroon and White

vCash
    Will AT&T not supply you with one?

Linksys has always been a reliable brand.

vCash
    Make att send you one. All the companies that provide Internet will provide the modem now too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit View Post
    I need to find a new router/modem combo for my crib. I have AT&T service. What is a good modem to buy to get my wifi spinning? Thanks
    I had Apple Airport routers for the longest time, because I foolishly believed everything Apple was great. I switched to a Netgear Nighthawk which came with a free extender... and what a HUGE difference. I've had to reset the router once in 2 years. Previously I was resetting my Apple routers multiple times per month!

vCash
    I have one from at&t but it has slowed down over the past year as I have been able to upgrade my speed.

vCash
    I have an AirPort Extreme and like it quite well. I need to do some tweaking on it though since I just upgraded to 300 Mbps. On my "base station" (main computer with thruput from the modem through the AirPort) I get well over 300 ... around 350 most of the time. On WiFi through the AirPort I only get about 120. That's at 2.4 GHz. The AirPort has both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz, but I haven't used the 5.0 yet because I'm not sure if my other devices (iPhone, iPad, Roku, smart television, etc.) can use 5.0 or need 2.4. I think you can have one of each but I've got to play with it a bit. Before the upgrade it was a moot point.

The AirPort Extreme is about $200.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit View Post
    I have one from at&t but it has slowed down over the past year as I have been able to upgrade my speed.
    Call and ask for a new one.

Have you restarted it? They have software updates that require restarting and will update on their own when you do that.

In other words, unplug it and plug it back in.

vCash
    For everyone saying to get AT&T to send one, don't they charge you a monthly fee for it? I am not sure how good the ones they will send you are but Comcast is around $10 per month and you can buy a decent set up cheaper than $120 per year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    For everyone saying to get AT&T to send one, don't they charge you a monthly fee for it? I am not sure how good the ones they will send you are but Comcast is around $10 per month and you can buy a decent set up cheaper than $120 per year.
    Yes, they do. I am on my 2nd ATT provided modem in the last 5 years or so and they do add a fee to your bill every month. I'm glad someone else posted about this because my modem is now doing the same thing. I am having to reset it just about every other day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I had Apple Airport routers for the longest time, because I foolishly believed everything Apple was great. I switched to a Netgear Nighthawk which came with a free extender... and what a HUGE difference. I've had to reset the router once in 2 years. Previously I was resetting my Apple routers multiple times per month!
    What provider do you have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chainedup_Dawg View Post
    Yes, they do. I am on my 2nd ATT provided modem in the last 5 years or so and they do add a fee to your bill every month. I'm glad someone else posted about this because my modem is now doing the same thing. I am having to reset it just about every other day.
    I have to reset mine way too often. I am going modem shopping this weekend.