Thread: Special teams will become a strength for Mississippi State

vCash

Special teams will become a strength for Mississippi State

After years of incompetence on special teams for Mississippi State, the Bulldogs are beginning to trend up on special teams.
    https://hailstatetakes.com/2017/10/1...issippi-state/

vCash
    We can thank Chris Boniol for this- and Dan for hiring him. We basically have a NFL special teams coach who specializes in kicking.

2013 was probably the low point for our special teams under Dan. We almost lost the 2013 Egg Bowl because of a blocked punt that Ole Miss recovered for a TD because we screwed up our punt protection and then we missed a game winning field goal from less the 40 yards away in the middle of the field. If I remember correctly we also lost a couple of other games that year in part because of special teams mistakes as well.

Our return game and punting has actually been pretty solid since then. Field goal kicking has really been the only other sore spot- and it appears that we have finally addressed that. Our special teams this year is arguably the best we have had since Dan has been here.

vCash
    Dan has always insisted on being the special teams coach, and you're right, hiring Boniol was the best thing to ever happen to our special teams unit. I can't remember the last time we had solid special teams unit all the way aroun, but it seems we are finally turning the corner.

vCash

What about the other phases?

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBites15 View Post
    After years of incompetence on special teams for Mississippi State, the Bulldogs are beginning to trend up on special teams.
    https://hailstatetakes.com/2017/10/1...issippi-state/
    Punts and kick-offs have not been an issue and we're quickly fixing the field goal issues.

But, no mention of our mediocre return game? Our return game is anything but "special" and our coverage teams are only adequate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBites15 View Post
    Dan has always insisted on being the special teams coach, and you're right, hiring Boniol was the best thing to ever happen to our special teams unit. I can't remember the last time we had solid special teams unit all the way aroun, but it seems we are finally turning the corner.
    I think he has started to delegate that to other coaches like Knox and is doing less than he did when he started as our coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoToHellOleMiss View Post
    Punts and kick-offs have not been an issue and we're quickly fixing the field goal issues.

But, no mention of our mediocre return game? Our return game is anything but "special" and our coverage teams are only adequate.

Adequate is acceptable to me in the return game. Obviously would like to have a Kevin Prentiss or Tony James back there but as long as we are making good decisions on returns and not fumbling at a minimum I'm not going to complain.

vCash
    We’re also close to the top of the sec in blocked kicks the last couple of years which seems to get glossed over when people talk about our special teams.

vCash
    As a stat junkie, I have many sites that I go to for stats. This one is my favorite for special teams ratings b/c they break it out so good then put all the different areas into 1 "score". Most sites will just have 1 overall efficiency rating, or just rate you based on totals. This years data won't be up until after this week for this year, so below link is for last year.

Last year they had us overall as a pretty average ST team. FG efficiency (#107) and punt return efficiency (#92) being our clear weakest areas. Outside of those, we were pretty good. With those 2 areas being improved, I would expect we will have at least an above average special teams rating this year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist2016

Banned
    vCash
    ST (outside kicking) is more about depth than anything else. That's why the big time recruiter programs have the best ST.

The coaching part is more about firing them up and having pride in playing ST.