Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway 12 woes

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

Highway 12 woes

The highway 12 project in Starkville is a disaster. So last night I was headed westbound to Taco Bell. I try to turn in at the entrance and see that there is a barrier there. The place to cross is immediately past the entrance. The car in front of me(also trying to get to Taco Bell) turns and tries to perform a mini u-turn to go into Taco Bell. OF course there is not enough room to make the turn so he has to reverse INTO east bound traffic to complete the turn and I have to do the same when it is my turn. So the east bound traffic had to come to a complete stop to allow this to happen. Whoever designed for this project is an idiot.

vCash
    What was the reasoning behind this project? Because it really seems like a monumentally bad idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    What was the reasoning behind this project? Because it really seems like a monumentally bad idea.
    I think it was to make it "safer" by taking out the suicide lanes but they failed miserably. It has caused more frustration and will lead to more wrecks IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    It was explained to me that hwy 12 is one of the most dangerous in the state (in terms of wrecks). Mostly from folks turning left and crossing traffic. This was supposedly going to address that.

This is how it was described to me by a Rotary member. I just work here in Starkville, and I hardly ever go down 12 so I'm kind of indifferent about the whole mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post
    It was explained to me that hwy 12 is one of the most dangerous in the state (in terms of wrecks). Mostly from folks turning left and crossing traffic. This was supposedly going to address that.

This is how it was described to me by a Rotary member. I just work here in Starkville, and I hardly ever go down 12 so I'm kind of indifferent about the whole mess.
    That?s what they say but I don?t buy it. I?ve lived in Starkville the last 10 years and 99.999% of the wrecks I see on 12 are rear ends. This project is a complete cluster. I haven?t found one person that thinks it?s a good idea. I drive a 4 door ram 2500 and to say it has a large turn radius is putting it mildly. If I ever attempt a U turn I?ll be in the same predicament. It has seriously crossed my mind just jumping those stupid barricades they have up. They?re angled and not too tall.

vCash
    I graduated in 97 with better roads. Absolutely zero leadership in the city of Starkville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    It has seriously crossed my mind just jumping those stupid barricades they have up. They?re angled and not too tall.
    If I had a big truck I would do this for sure.

vCash
    Its not just Starkville, its everywhere. Somebody has decided that it is too dangerous to make left turns and cross oncoming traffic. Now it is safer to make a u turn and then you will always turn right and never cross on coming traffic. Drive down Beach Blvd in Orange Beach, you cant even turn left at traffic light s onto intersecting roads, you must go past to a designated uturn lane and return to turn right. They are even starting to do this at interchanges on Hwy 45 south of Meridian. Its the future boys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    The highway 12 project in Starkville is a disaster. So last night I was headed westbound to Taco Bell. I try to turn in at the entrance and see that there is a barrier there. The place to cross is immediately past the entrance. The car in front of me(also trying to get to Taco Bell) turns and tries to perform a mini u-turn to go into Taco Bell. OF course there is not enough room to make the turn so he has to reverse INTO east bound traffic to complete the turn and I have to do the same when it is my turn. So the east bound traffic had to come to a complete stop to allow this to happen. Whoever designed for this project is an idiot.
    I feel your pain, I drive a 4 door truck with too wide a turning radius. Was at lunch the other day going to Taco Bell and had to pull into the parking lot next door to Taco Bell (NAPA?) then pull back out into traffic and turn into Taco Bell.....17n ridiculous

vCash
    Yellowjacket Dr and Gillespie St are your friends. Use them to get past your destination, then cut back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyrbrown View Post
    Yellowjacket Dr and Gillespie St are your friends. Use them to get past your destination, then cut back.
    Yep I am going to avoid 12 as much as possible now. Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chainedup_Dawg View Post
    I feel your pain, I drive a 4 door truck with too wide a turning radius. Was at lunch the other day going to Taco Bell and had to pull into the parking lot next door to Taco Bell (NAPA?) then pull back out into traffic and turn into Taco Bell.....17n ridiculous
    yep!

Banned
    vCash
    So are there any turn lanes at all? Typically you should be routed to the next light or designated U-turns, with turning lanes.

A break in the barrier with no turn lane certainly seems dangerous.
    Last edited by Hasu Dackds; 10-12-2017 at 10:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyrbrown View Post
    This, exactly.

Banned
    vCash
    It's called the Michigan Left.

At this point, pick your poison. It's either super heavy traffic due to turns and lights all over the place, or this. No engineer can design their way out of sheer number of vehicles, unless it's more lanes, which isn't feasible 80% of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    That?s what they say but I don?t buy it. I?ve lived in Starkville the last 10 years and 99.999% of the wrecks I see on 12 are rear ends.This project is a complete cluster. I haven?t found one person that thinks it?s a good idea. I drive a 4 door ram 2500 and to say it has a large turn radius is putting it mildly. If I ever attempt a U turn I?ll be in the same predicament. It has seriously crossed my mind just jumping those stupid barricades they have up. They?re angled and not too tall.
    I don't disagree with you at all. Matter of fact, one of my buddies that lives in Starkville told me he did just that, leaving some liquor store on 12...drove his Explorer right over those "curbs".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    Its not just Starkville, its everywhere. Somebody has decided that it is too dangerous to make left turns and cross oncoming traffic. Now it is safer to make a u turn and then you will always turn right and never cross on coming traffic. Drive down Beach Blvd in Orange Beach, you cant even turn left at traffic light s onto intersecting roads, you must go past to a designated uturn lane and return to turn right. They are even starting to do this at interchanges on Hwy 45 south of Meridian. Its the future boys.
    Same with Canal Street in New Orleans. Just like traffic circles and smaller cars we are trying to go to an European like traffic system.

vCash
    people still take hwy 12 instead of taking roads 1 block off of hwy 12? huh, y'all must be new to starkville......

vCash
    I have the same issue with having a big, four door truck with a wide turning radius. For instance, just to get to zaxby's, I have to turn onto Airport Road and cut through the gas station there because if I try a U Turn at that intersection, I will end up on the corner median.

The turn lanes are too small as well to be able to make a U Turn at them.

Archimedes
    vCash
    This design is being put in everywhere. Just better get use to it.