Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NCAA BB & FBI investigation plot thickens...

Banned
    vCash
    I just read one of the arrests was an Addidas exec. good. to me, they are the problem. if a player signs with you because he got paid by Addidas, what did the school do wrong? I'm sure they know what's up, but what did the school specifically do wrong in a case like that? the coaches that got arrested, were they not all due to steering players to financial advisers for "finder fees"?

Now if the coach was in contact with Addidas being informed of what Addidas was going to do, then that's a different story. So what if any of the players involved with getting paid by Addidas are still on college rosters? wouldn't they be ineligible?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I just read one of the arrests was an Addidas exec. good. to me, they are the problem. if a player signs with you because he got paid by Addidas, what did the school do wrong? I'm sure they know what's up, but what did the school specifically do wrong in a case like that? the coaches that got arrested, were they not all due to steering players to financial advisers for "finder fees"?

Now if the coach was in contact with Addidas being informed of what Addidas was going to do, then that's a different story. So what if any of the players involved with getting paid by Addidas are still on college rosters? wouldn't they be ineligible?
    By your logic schools shouldn’t get in trouble when agents or boosters are the ones providing benefits but they clearly do and should.

As for “finder’s fees”, the problem probably arises in the roles that the coaches are playing in steering kids to certain advisers. Also, the coaches are being paid up front (and then funneling some of that money to the players) to direct players to certain advisers, not paid after the fact for steering a player to a certain adviser. So it’s not actually a finder’s fee and is more of a “use your influence in an 18 year old’s life to try to get him to sign with me” fee. And in financial situations, I’m not sure what is a legal or illegal finder’s fee. I’m sure someone could dig through the laws, but I’m guessing if the fbi is making arrests, they have violated (or potentially violated) laws regarding finding fees and financial advisers.

vCash
    The laws that are likely to be broken in these cases are SEC laws regarding who and how a financial advisor can be compensated. And I'm not talking about the Southeastern Conference, but the Securities and Exchange Commission. Those are Federal laws and would explain why the FBI could/would get involved.