Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA BB & FBI investigation plot thickens...

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    He has benefited the most from shoe companies steering recruits to his schools he has been a coach of from his days at Memphis to his days at Kentucky. He certainly laid out the blueprint of exactly what we are seeing now and what the FBI wants stopped. Nike paid Anthony Davis’ family $200k to go to Kentucky back in 2010. The Chicago Tribune even had an expose on it but they have done it dozens of times over the years there. If I was the FBI, I would focus on World Wide Wes. Not only was he long time employee of Nike but also an agent and the slimeball was able to actively recruit for Calipari at Nike events while the NCAA wouldn’t do anything about it.
    If you think paying players started with Cal then you're wrong. If you think wasn't paying the Grant Hill's & Elton Brand's then I have some oceanfront property in Idaho for you. Sonny Vaccarro & others were using shoe companies to get kids to schools 15-20yrs ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    IYOK...I guess we don't really know how many we can sign this year until we see if any jump to NBA or have any attrition, so how do we go about recruiting when we're in a situation like this? I think we have a couple open spots now, but I guess that could go to as many as 3,4 or 5 depending on how things shake out.

How do you recruit in this type situation when you have anywhere from say 2-5 spots that may or may not be there next summer? I know we can fill those spots later on in the process, but how do you keep 4-5 star types to stay interested in your program knowing a spot may not be there in the end?
    We have 2 open scholarships. We'll sign 3 guys because in all likelihood Lamar goes pro after this year. We will sign a 4th in the spring if we have someone transfer.

vCash
    Win big and getting players to the NBA like Peters, Nick W, and Perry.
    That will help but we still won't beat out the blue bloods for the truly elite. We would start getting a couple more of the guys ranked in the 25-50 range. Which is the next step for us.

Banned
    vCash
    This really does suck for schools like us. Why is the FBI not going after the shoe companies? are they? to me, they are the ones that should be in the biggest trouble. not some asst coach who steers a player to a particular financial planner.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    That will help but we still won't beat out the blue bloods for the truly elite. We would start getting a couple more of the guys ranked in the 25-50 range. Which is the next step for us.
    I'd be more than satisfied with 25-50 range.

vCash
    If you think paying players started with Cal then you're wrong. If you think wasn't paying the Grant Hill's & Elton Brand's then I have some oceanfront property in Idaho for you. Sonny Vaccarro & others were using shoe companies to get kids to schools 15-20yrs ago.
    Oh I agree regarding Vaccarro. That slimeball was interviewed by Bob Lee after the FBI scandal broke. I kind of just laughed to myself as that would be like interviewing Al Capone after the FBI busted Mickey Cohen.

vCash
    Oh I agree regarding Vaccarro. That slimeball was interviewed by Bob Lee after the FBI scandal broke. I kind of just laughed to myself as that would be like interviewing Al Capone after the FBI busted Mickey Cohen.
    What Cal did 1st & continues to do is not lie to kids or fans about the most important goal being college. He lets you know the goal is the NBA & getting you there as quick as possible. People have a problem with that & rather hear K or Self or whoever lie about the importance of college. These kids are 9 month rentals until the draft. Cal doesn't shy or away or hide that & people can't handle that truth. He didn't make the 1 & done or shoe companies he just was the 1st to publically embrace it & its paid off. Hate or love him I respect his honesty. Especially when every other major coach is doing the same.

vCash
    A thread discussing widespread corruption in college basketball morphs into a right-wing political rant. Incredible.

vCash
    What Cal did 1st & continues to do is not lie to kids or fans about the most important goal being college. He lets you know the goal is the NBA & getting you there as quick as possible. People have a problem with that & rather hear K or Self or whoever lie about the importance of college. These kids are 9 month rentals until the draft. Cal doesn't shy or away or hide that & people can't handle that truth. He didn't make the 1 & done or shoe companies he just was the 1st to publically embrace it & its paid off. Hate or love him I respect his honesty. Especially when every other major coach is doing the same.
    I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with what he knows goes on behind the scenes. He allows himself to be used by Nike/WWW who have bought several of his players to steer his way. Does he really think when he tells WWW I want this guy that it is just based on WWW’s powers of persuasion that he gets those players? He’s a big part of the problem and the FBI just lets him sleeze his way on by.

vCash
    I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with what he knows goes on behind the scenes. He allows himself to be used by Nike/WWW who have bought several of his players to steer his way. Does he really think when he tells WWW I want this guy that it is just based on WWW’s powers of persuasion that he gets those players? He’s a big part of the problem and the FBI just lets him sleeze his way on by.
    You say all of that like the other coaches aren't doing the exact same thing. That isn't a Cal deal it's a college basketball deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Not talking politics, just MSU. When I was a student the CIA and NSA came to campus to recruit. They had the entire Lee Hall auditorium packed with kids ready to go fight bad guys...

They made it clear they did not want any of the motivated kids. They wanted to talk about vacation days, work life balance, and roll-over vacation days. All the "Americans" in the room just looked at each other with acknowledgement they were listening to a bunch of soulless bureaucrats. Military service and multiple languages were NOT a plus

They wanted flabby, braindead, drones, that would obsess about vacation time and office dimensions.

This Happened! At Lee Hall at MSU in the 1990's
    Probably because they don?t want/need overly emotional types coming in trying to operate the CIA like a cowboy in an old west saloon. They want people who are smart, think before acting, and when they do act it?s calm, cool, and collected. Folks that show up ?to get bad guys? with their American flag shirt probably aren?t the type of agents they want running covert operations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Does everything have to turn into something political?
    Boy, you sure sound like a liberal or a conservative.

vCash
    Ok I'll say what many reading are thinking....are we going to survive this FBI deal?

Yes, we have been signing studs with ties to MS, but I've spent the last 3+ years knowing OM was guilty as sin while several of theirs had ties (not all, but some). So I can't be hypocritical and say I'm not a little nervous about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Ok I'll say what many reading are thinking....are we going to survive this FBI deal?

Yes, we have been signing studs with ties to MS, but I've spent the last 3+ years knowing OM was guilty as sin while several of theirs had ties (not all, but some). So I can't be hypocritical and say I'm not a little nervous about it.
    I think that's fair. Anyone who has recruited well as of late should be nervous. That's my general impression. I also think the NCAA should be nervous. This might be their end as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I think that's fair. Anyone who has recruited well as of late should be nervous. That's my general impression. I also think the NCAA should be nervous. This might be their end as well.
    Good point. Also, I would think a team that hasn't won shit in hoops in years wouldn't be a high priority. Maybe our recent suckage will actually help us for once

vCash
    I'm not really nervous. Not that i won't feel better when it's over & we're still good. I know the staff & admin aren't worried right now. I'll also say that if we couldn't pull the big name recruits we signed without our "in house" recruiting we deserved to get popped. None of the guys we've signed we needed Adidas help or were those potential 1 & done type guys except for Malik. And again if we needed someone outside of the MSU "umbrella" to sign Malik we deserve what we get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Probably because they don?t want/need overly emotional types coming in trying to operate the CIA like a cowboy in an old west saloon. They want people who are smart, think before acting, and when they do act it?s calm, cool, and collected. Folks that show up ?to get bad guys? with their American flag shirt probably aren?t the type of agents they want running covert operations.
    The majority of CIA and NSA positions are analysts. All they do is sort data, write algorithms, or produce reports. Who better than flabby, braindead drones. They leave the Spy vs. Spy stuff to the contractors.

vCash
    I'm not really nervous. Not that i won't feel better when it's over & we're still good. I know the staff & admin aren't worried right now. I'll also say that if we couldn't pull the big name recruits we signed without our "in house" recruiting we deserved to get popped. None of the guys we've signed we needed Adidas help or were those potential 1 & done type guys except for Malik. And again if we needed someone outside of the MSU "umbrella" to sign Malik we deserve what we get.
    Agreed. And with the hypersensitivity of our compliance department, I’d say we are in about as great a shape as any of the other schools that weren’t named in this mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

There is a huge hell of a difference between how our compliance department and their compliance department operates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The majority of CIA and NSA positions are analysts. All they do is sort data, write algorithms, or produce reports. Who better than flabby, braindead drones. They leave the Spy vs. Spy stuff to the contractors.
    Even contracted spies aren’t gonna be the fired to get bad guys type bros that are more apt to make a bad decision in the moment instead of being calm, cool, and collected.