Thread: The US....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We're closer to football going away imo than futbol going away. I enjoy watching international soccer, especially the WC, so I'm disappointed. Maybe this will finally cause a much needed reset with American soccer, and we'll start focusing on skill development at an early age and stop with the "pay to play". The only kids getting refined skills are the ones with money to pay for expensive travel clubs....that isn't right, and it's killing US soccer in my opinion. We have the athletes on the field, but our players have an ounce of the skill some of these countries have. And coaching....coaching & showing up should have beaten Trinidad. That shit was an embarrassment
    Soccer is basically the working class game everywhere but North America. Here, as you pointed out, it’s a game of the middle class, with the better players tending to come from the upper middle because they are the only ones who can afford the travel teams. Until that changes we won’t produce much top notch talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Soccer is basically the working class game everywhere but North America. Here, as you pointed out, it’s a game of the middle class, with the better players tending to come from the upper middle because they are the only ones who can afford the travel teams. Until that changes we won’t produce much top notch talent.
    As I've always said, the US will compete for World Cups the day that soccer goals are mounted underneath the baskets on New York and Chicago playgrounds

IMO, soccer must be played in small spaces in a creative environment. The US model is the opposite.

The US is the best in basketball because the development model is about creativity and is a playground sport. The US used to have this in baseball with inner city stick ball. Now the Dominican has that type of development

vCash
    Soccer is basically the working class game everywhere but North America. Here, as you pointed out, it?s a game of the middle class, with the better players tending to come from the upper middle because they are the only ones who can afford the travel teams. Until that changes we won?t produce much top notch talent.
    When youth football and junior high/high school football starts disappearing due to insurance premiums and liability, something is going to fill the void, and imo soccer stands to be the biggest gainer in talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    When youth football and junior high/high school football starts disappearing due to insurance premiums and liability, something is going to fill the void, and imo soccer stands to be the biggest gainer in talent.
    They will just start in soccer then, lots of concussions in soccer. It already has start d in fact, many youth leagues ban headers.

vCash
    They will just start in soccer then, lots of concussions in soccer. It already has start d in fact, many youth leagues ban headers.
    Difference is that it’s easy to eliminate headers from youth leagues. And science shows repeated banging of the head is as destructive as the major concussions, like OL don’t have some major head shot like a WR might take, but they still have brain damage. You don’t have guys hanging heads 60+ times per game in soccer. I also watch a fair amount of soccer and I’ve never seen a stumbling around or react like Luke kuechly did last year after a header. But you seen that multiple times a weekend watching football. I’ve only seen a couple of times where an elbow or another head collides with a player’s head and he reacted similarly to the way football players act after major concussions many times every weekend. Finally, the whole premise of football leads to banging heads. The whole premise of soccer does not lead to head to head or head to elbow contact, just as basketball doesn’t inherently lead to elbow to head contact in boxing out situations or baseball doesn’t inherently lead to taking a thrown or hit ball off the head.

vCash
    Difference is that it’s easy to eliminate headers from youth leagues. And science shows repeated banging of the head is as destructive as the major concussions, like OL don’t have some major head shot like a WR might take, but they still have brain damage. You don’t have guys hanging heads 60+ times per game in soccer. I also watch a fair amount of soccer and I’ve never seen a stumbling around or react like Luke kuechly did last year after a header. But you seen that multiple times a weekend watching football. I’ve only seen a couple of times where an elbow or another head collides with a player’s head and he reacted similarly to the way football players act after major concussions many times every weekend. Finally, the whole premise of football leads to banging heads. The whole premise of soccer does not lead to head to head or head to elbow contact, just as basketball doesn’t inherently lead to elbow to head contact in boxing out situations or baseball doesn’t inherently lead to taking a thrown or hit ball off the head.
    You must not watch the right leagues.

vCash
    You must not watch the right leagues.
    Show me a list of soccer players stumbling around like they are about 8 shots of tequila deep right after a header each weekend and we’ll see how it compares to football players doing the same. I’m not saying it never happens, but you just don’t see it happen all that often in soccer, yet I see it a couple times per weekend in college and nfl games and I don’t even watch all that much football these days.

vCash
    Clay Travis nails it. Listen to 1-15 minutes. (Sorry about his OCD about comments section around minute 4-5)

https://www.facebook.com/OutkickTheC...5257784832042/

vCash
    Show me a list of soccer players stumbling around like they are about 8 shots of tequila deep right after a header each weekend and we’ll see how it compares to football players doing the same. I’m not saying it never happens, but you just don’t see it happen all that often in soccer, yet I see it a couple times per weekend in college and nfl games and I don’t even watch all that much football these days.
    It's not just headers. It's the clash of heads going for headers. It happens in 30-40% of the games I watch from England at least once.

vCash
    US youth soccer instituted rules a few years ago that U11 and under can't head.

As for the guy mentioning small sided games are a problem. No, small sided games help more players get more touches . Typically with kids under 8, they don't know how to spread out and it is just a cluster of 22 players fighting for a ball. Small sided games help eliminate that.