Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 77

Thread: The US....

  1. #21
    Super Moderator CadaverDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26,203
    vCash
    3113175
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Hopefully soccer will soon go away. Probably not in my lifetime though.
    We're closer to football going away imo than futbol going away. I enjoy watching international soccer, especially the WC, so I'm disappointed. Maybe this will finally cause a much needed reset with American soccer, and we'll start focusing on skill development at an early age and stop with the "pay to play". The only kids getting refined skills are the ones with money to pay for expensive travel clubs....that isn't right, and it's killing US soccer in my opinion. We have the athletes on the field, but our players have an ounce of the skill some of these countries have. And coaching....coaching & showing up should have beaten Trinidad. That shit was an embarrassment

  2. #22
    Senior Member mstatefan91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,931
    vCash
    455
    Oh look. A thread with men aged 40+ calling soccer irrelevant or a pansy sport. How original

    Time for the system to be gutted. Got to drive up professional clubs and development. Introduce relegation and quit letting talent slip through the cracks. Enough with hand picking teams because "my daddy knows your daddy." There is no reason that the USA should not be top 10 in soccer other than corruption and incompetence.
    LFC "YNWA"

  3. #23
    Senior Member mstatefan91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,931
    vCash
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Hopefully soccer will soon go away. Probably not in my lifetime though.
    Not going to happen. Get over it
    LFC "YNWA"

  4. #24
    Senior Member Dawg61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Gold, Mississippi
    Posts
    16,552
    vCash
    700
    That was the worst game I have ever seen USA play. Zero energy. We intimidate nobody.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    540
    vCash
    500
    Mullenz to US Soccer!

  6. #26
    Senior Member TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    6,986
    vCash
    1006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    The women will make it. It is their sport.
    I knew it... you are a "mutt the hoople" alter!!!

    edit: what is this thing yall call "soccer{?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,680
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Oh look. A thread with men aged 40+ calling soccer irrelevant or a pansy sport. How original

    Time for the system to be gutted. Got to drive up professional clubs and development. Introduce relegation and quit letting talent slip through the cracks. Enough with hand picking teams because "my daddy knows your daddy." There is no reason that the USA should not be top 10 in soccer other than corruption and incompetence.
    54, love the sport. Agree with everything you said for the most part. Need to start allowing tackling in the youth leagues as well. All leagues need to have winners and losers.

  8. #28
    Senior Member BrunswickDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Home of Slay, GA
    Posts
    4,697
    vCash
    69667
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Oh look. A thread with men aged 40+ calling soccer irrelevant or a pansy sport. How original

    Time for the system to be gutted. Got to drive up professional clubs and development. Introduce relegation and quit letting talent slip through the cracks. Enough with hand picking teams because "my daddy knows your daddy." There is no reason that the USA should not be top 10 in soccer other than corruption and incompetence.
    Easy now - a lot of us 40+ guys love soccer. It?s our parents who never could understand the rules and thought it was cute.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    43
    vCash
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneDawg View Post
    No one cares
    I care. Shut your face

  10. #30
    Senior Member smootness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11,717
    vCash
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    US soccer is the Big 12 of the world.

    No matter how many resources we pour into the program, we aren't to turn the corner until the culture is changed.

    Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, & Brazil are SEC teams with real identities, toughness, & play makers, while the US is a soft, over coached team that lacks physicality & an identity.
    If you think the problem with US soccer is that it isn't tough or physical enough, then I don't know what to tell you. The problem is that we don't have enough creative talent, and our touch still lags way behind the rest of the world.

    And the problem isn't really that we haven't sent people abroad. We had an entire generation (4-5 years) that didn't develop, for whatever reason, and it is killing us. Klinsmann had a lot of great ideas about soccer development in the US, and the good thing is that we're starting to see the benefits at the 15-year-old to 20-year-old level. We have some legit talent there, and some of these guys are already starting to break through at legit programs across the world.

    I am not a fan of Arena, but this is not his fault. This team just wasn't good. Period. Sure, they should have been better than they were, but the talent itself wasn't good enough. John Brooks being out hurt, because it also meant we weren't comfortable with Cameron on the back line. Bradley has declined and is no longer good enough to control things in the middle, and we have essentially no other controlling center midfielders we can turn to. Nagbe is not good enough to be starting for the US national team.

    It is time to commit 100% to a youth movement. I don't want to see guys like Dempsey, Nagbe, Gonzalez, Besler, etc. ever play for the US again, and I don't care if Bradley ever does again. This is Pulisic's team; Altidore and Wood are fine up top, but it is time to start getting these young guys caps with the senior national team, even if they're really too young right now. Emerson Hyndman, Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent...they need to be playing now. And yes, guys like Kellyn Acosta do need to leave MLS.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Jack Lambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    misippi
    Posts
    7,037
    vCash
    70227938
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Easy now - a lot of us 40+ guys love soccer. It?s our parents who never could understand the rules and thought it was cute.
    What I don't get is when soccer comes up the pro soccer guys feel they have to go out of their way to defend it. When someone says something negative about soccer they get all offended. Just look at some of the post in this thread.

    In the US soccer will always be viewed like the Olympics. Every four years everyone will get excited and then they forget. It will never change. I am indifferent about it. I will watch World Cup when the US is in it. Just because I can. Got something to pull for. After that the only soccer I will see is from the road passing by the soccer field.

    If someone likes it fine and if not that is fine as well. There is a lot of sports I don't watch and to be honest I would watch Soccer before NBA, NFL and MLB if that is all I have to choose from. You know I don't like volley ball but will turn the channel every time to watch women beach volley ball. "That gives me something else to pull"
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 10-11-2017 at 07:04 AM.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,456
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I disagree. Atlanta was fun as hell to watch this season. The problem is MLS is too big and the talent pool too spread out. Break the top 15/16 into MLS Premiership, then drop the rest into MLS 1st Division. That will force teams to consolidate talent or get relegated. Let teams develop organically - like Detroit and Miami in USL have and let them their way up and develop talent and fan bases.

    MLS is fun, and the crowds are getting better all the time, but the level of competition is just not good. It?s seen as a retirement league in Europe. The Latin Americans that come are the ones that have little to no shot at Europe or playing big time in Argentina, Brazil, or Mexico. The US team has declined as more of the bigger stars came home. Until we produce enough homegrown players to staff MLS at a higher level it?s always going to be that way. For now the guys in the national team need to be in Europe, even if it?s not a top tier league. In England the championship is defiantly better than MLS. I think League one is at least as good, and it?s a tougher, more hard nosed league. It will build backbone more than MLS will at the moment.

  13. #33
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,268
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If you think the problem with US soccer is that it isn't tough or physical enough, then I don't know what to tell you. The problem is that we don't have enough creative talent, and our touch still lags way behind the rest of the world.

    And the problem isn't really that we haven't sent people abroad. We had an entire generation (4-5 years) that didn't develop, for whatever reason, and it is killing us. Klinsmann had a lot of great ideas about soccer development in the US, and the good thing is that we're starting to see the benefits at the 15-year-old to 20-year-old level. We have some legit talent there, and some of these guys are already starting to break through at legit programs across the world.

    I am not a fan of Arena, but this is not his fault. This team just wasn't good. Period. Sure, they should have been better than they were, but the talent itself wasn't good enough. John Brooks being out hurt, because it also meant we weren't comfortable with Cameron on the back line. Bradley has declined and is no longer good enough to control things in the middle, and we have essentially no other controlling center midfielders we can turn to. Nagbe is not good enough to be starting for the US national team.

    It is time to commit 100% to a youth movement. I don't want to see guys like Dempsey, Nagbe, Gonzalez, Besler, etc. ever play for the US again, and I don't care if Bradley ever does again. This is Pulisic's team; Altidore and Wood are fine up top, but it is time to start getting these young guys caps with the senior national team, even if they're really too young right now. Emerson Hyndman, Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent...they need to be playing now. And yes, guys like Kellyn Acosta do need to leave MLS.
    Excellent post.

    I was speaking more to the culture problem than actual physicality

  14. #34
    Senior Member smootness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11,717
    vCash
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Excellent post.

    I was speaking more to the culture problem than actual physicality
    Gotcha.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,456
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    What I don't get is when soccer comes up the pro soccer guys feel they have to go out of their way to defend it. When someone says something negative about soccer they get all offended. Just look at some of the post in this thread.

    In the US soccer will always be viewed like the Olympics. Every four years everyone will get excited and then they forget. It will never change. I am indifferent about it. I will watch World Cup when the US is in it. Just because I can. Got something to pull for. After that the only soccer I will see is from the road passing by the soccer field.

    If someone likes it fine and if not that is fine as well. There is a lot of sports I don't watch and to be honest I would watch Soccer before NBA, NFL and MLB if that is all I have to choose from. You know I don't like volley ball but will turn the channel every time to watch women beach volley ball. "That gives me something else to pull"
    It’s not like that everywhere in the US. Some of the MLS teams have fantastic followings now. Seattle, Portland, and Atlanta stand out. As for as defending it, we aren’t really defending it as pointing out that not everyone in the US could care less. That has been changing for a while now.

    Now what’s REALLY funny, at least in my case, is that I actually HATE international soccer. I wish it would go away and never come back. All it’s good for is getting the best players at a big club hurt. My club just lost its best player for at least 6 weeks. It happens dang near every international window. It took me a while to understand why the phrase “We aren’t English, we’re Scouse” carried such venom among soccer fans on Merseyside. Most other big club’s fans feel the same way toward their national teams. Club soccer is the best. It’s even awesome on down the pyramids in many countries over seas, nowhere more so than England.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,846
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneDawg View Post
    No one cares
    Just because YOU don't like it don't mean others don't. You sir are not the standard.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,456
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If you think the problem with US soccer is that it isn't tough or physical enough, then I don't know what to tell you. The problem is that we don't have enough creative talent, and our touch still lags way behind the rest of the world.

    And the problem isn't really that we haven't sent people abroad. We had an entire generation (4-5 years) that didn't develop, for whatever reason, and it is killing us. Klinsmann had a lot of great ideas about soccer development in the US, and the good thing is that we're starting to see the benefits at the 15-year-old to 20-year-old level. We have some legit talent there, and some of these guys are already starting to break through at legit programs across the world.

    I am not a fan of Arena, but this is not his fault. This team just wasn't good. Period. Sure, they should have been better than they were, but the talent itself wasn't good enough. John Brooks being out hurt, because it also meant we weren't comfortable with Cameron on the back line. Bradley has declined and is no longer good enough to control things in the middle, and we have essentially no other controlling center midfielders we can turn to. Nagbe is not good enough to be starting for the US national team.

    It is time to commit 100% to a youth movement. I don't want to see guys like Dempsey, Nagbe, Gonzalez, Besler, etc. ever play for the US again, and I don't care if Bradley ever does again. This is Pulisic's team; Altidore and Wood are fine up top, but it is time to start getting these young guys caps with the senior national team, even if they're really too young right now. Emerson Hyndman, Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent...they need to be playing now. And yes, guys like Kellyn Acosta do need to leave MLS.

    Most of the national team guys came home the last 4-5 years.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,456
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Easy now - a lot of us 40+ guys love soccer. It?s our parents who never could understand the rules and thought it was cute.
    I’m in my 50s.

  19. #39
    Senior Member BrunswickDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Home of Slay, GA
    Posts
    4,697
    vCash
    69667
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    What I don't get is when soccer comes up the pro soccer guys feel they have to go out of their way to defend it. When someone says something negative about soccer they get all offended. Just look at some of the post in this thread.

    In the US soccer will always be viewed like the Olympics. Every four years everyone will get excited and then they forget. It will never change. I am indifferent about it. I will watch World Cup when the US is in it. Just because I can. Got something to pull for. After that the only soccer I will see is from the road passing by the soccer field.

    If someone likes it fine and if not that is fine as well. There is a lot of sports I don't watch and to be honest I would watch Soccer before NBA, NFL and MLB if that is all I have to choose from. You know I don't like volley ball but will turn the channel every time to watch women beach volley ball. "That gives me something else to pull"
    I think a lot of it is where you are and your exposure to it. If you grew up around a larger city, you were exposed to more soccer and began following at a younger age. I grew up in the First Wave of Metro Atlanta youth soccer - late 70s and early 80s. Everyone I knew played. We went to weekend clinics with NASL players. We played 11 v 11 full field games from age 6 up (not this 3v3 or 7v7 small field crap you see in a lot of youth leagues now). Everyone had a team they got interested in from it - Atlanta Chiefs, NY Cosmos, Chicago Sting, Minnesota Kicks, Tampa Bay Rowdies. When the NASL folded shop we got the Atlanta Ruckus/Silverbacks, went to international exhibition matches at Atl-Ful Co Stadium, or Grant Field, and then got pissed off and stayed pissed off that after MLS formed Atlanta never got a team (that shows the long running stupidity on MLS's part). Now they are seeing 70,000+ at United games in Atlanta.

    So yeah, those of us who are pro soccer defend it because contrary to some anti-soccer opinions its not just some fad invented for soft millennials so they all get a trophy. It's been a part of our lives - just like MSU, the Braves, or any other team we follow.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,456
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We're closer to football going away imo than futbol going away. I enjoy watching international soccer, especially the WC, so I'm disappointed. Maybe this will finally cause a much needed reset with American soccer, and we'll start focusing on skill development at an early age and stop with the "pay to play". The only kids getting refined skills are the ones with money to pay for expensive travel clubs....that isn't right, and it's killing US soccer in my opinion. We have the athletes on the field, but our players have an ounce of the skill some of these countries have. And coaching....coaching & showing up should have beaten Trinidad. That shit was an embarrassment
    Soccer is basically the working class game everywhere but North America. Here, as you pointed out, it’s a game of the middle class, with the better players tending to come from the upper middle because they are the only ones who can afford the travel teams. Until that changes we won’t produce much top notch talent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.