Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Were A Top QB Prospect, Would You Consider Bama?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    You have this backwards. Alabama's offense is actually tailor made for what actually works, percentage wise, in the NFL. The pro-style offensive system will always be the method of choice up there, and with that, you have to 1 - have the arm to make the throws, and 2 - possess great decision making. Everything else is simply gravy.

Alabama's problem has been quarterback evaluation. I don't think Hurts is an NFL quarterback, but he's a good college quarterback, in a great situation. Having talent around you is never a bad thing. I see several things in your post above that are just wrong. Clemson wasn't a top recruiter? WTF? Auburn had average talent around Cam? WTF? Did you see their offensive line?

Isn't McCarron in the NFL?
    Alabama's offensive system is good for QB's looking to go pro. What is not good is having 9 or even 10 games a year where your team is so dominant that it doesn't really matter what you do, especially if your OL is consistently giving you plenty of time to throw and your WRs are good enough that you don't have to make great throws to move the offense.

I definitely think Bama has had some QBs lately that weren't making it regardless, but I do think McCarron benefited from playing in possibly the strongest division ever. If McCarron is playing on the last few year of alabama teams, I think they end up so dominant that it does result in him progressing less than he did playing the competition he actually played.

ETA: All that to say, I'd definitely consider Bama. But I would be less inclined to go there as a QB compared to any other position.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 10-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDAWGFAN View Post
    Jameis Winston grew up a Bama fan in Mobile. He wanted to go there. But all Jimbo Fisher had to do to get him to go to FSU was to tell him to look at the history of NOT putting guys in the NFL. You don't get better by handing the ball off every play in the 4th quarter up by 35 points. I'd say it was NOT a "retarded" move. I'd say he's actually pretty smart because he is a starter in the NFL, and the best QB Saban has ever put in the NFL is a career benchwarmer. Winston developed at FSU.

I'd say if you were a legit NFL potential talent, you'd be wasting your shot at being the NFL by going to Bama. But hey, I'm just going by the numbers. Saban is 0-fer when it comes to his QBs becoming starters in the NFL. Compare Mullen's track record, who has put Josh Harris, 14 year vet and #1 pick Alex Smith (who by the way was the current pro bowl starter), Heisman Trophy Winner and NFL starter Tim Tebow, and some guy named Dak who went on to have arguably the greatest rookie year for a QB in NFL history and currently has more endorsement deals than any other player in the NFL. He also started in the pro bowl. Saban has, well, his lone QB currently in the league has his own restaurant. No major endorsement deals, but nobody really wants that anyway, right? What people really dream of is owning their own restaurant. If that's your dream, Saban is right up your alley!
    The reason Jameis went to FSU was because his dad wanted him to. Period. Well, that and Saban and staff wasn't fond of character/daddy issues.
    Last edited by Token Bammer; 10-10-2017 at 02:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Token Bammer View Post
    The reason Jameis went to FSU was because his dad wanted him to. Period. Well, that and Saban and staff wasn't fond of character/daddy issues.
    Spin. We didn't want him anyway. Saban ABSOLUTELY offered him. This is an objective fact.

Since when did Saban have issues with having players on the team with problems as long as they have talent? Cam Robinson had illegal guns in Louisiana and Saban didn't kick him off. Tim Williams failed 3 drug tests while at Bama, and he wasn't kicked off. I'll give you one guess as to how many seconds he missed and I'll give you one hint: Not one second. You need me to name more?

Saban had Jonathan Taylor on the team AFTER he had been arrested for domestic abuse and then Taylor got arrested AGAIN. Why would Saban put up with DOMESTIC ABUSE but not Daddy issues? He also kept Courtney Upshaw.

Stop the spin.

Saban would have ABSOLUTELY taken him (and that's why he offered).
    Last edited by MSUDAWGFAN; 10-10-2017 at 03:03 PM.

vCash
    Why would Saban have allowed him to play baseball AND football if he didn't really want him?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ston_sign.html

vCash
    Saban had Jonathan Taylor on the team AFTER he had been arrested for domestic abuse and then Taylor got arrested AGAIN.
    I agree with you on this! No way any guy should get a 2nd chance after beating up a girl...*
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I agree with you on this! No way any guy should get a 2nd chance after beating up a girl...*
    I think you miss the point. He said Winston went to FSU because Saban didn't want to deal with daddy ssues. First, that's patently false, but if it was true, it'd be very hypocritical to deal with issues he has dealt with. Its spin just like the poster that stated that Saban didn't want Winston because he wasn't smart. Both posters would do themselves a favor by doing a little research or just not posting at all.

vCash
    I think you miss the point. He said Winston went to FSU because Saban didn't want to deal with daddy ssues. First, that's patently false, but if it was true, it'd be very hypocritical to deal with issues he has dealt with. Its spin just like the poster that stated that Saban didn't want Winston because he wasn't smart. Both posters would do themselves a favor by doing a little research or just not posting at all.
    You completely missed my crack....

Somebody help this cat out....

No.

vCash
    No- As mentioned earlier Saban' s job is to win championships. The defense gets the benefit because he's a defensive coach that is hands on. No Qb development in preparation for the NFL. His philosophy changed with Kiffin. Hence, the reason they never saw eye to eye imo. Kiffin was trying to develop and run plays, Saban just wanted to win via running the ball.

vCash
    You completely missed my crack....

Somebody help this cat out....
    The maroon colored glasses are so thick for some they can't see anything objectively. In his defense, Simmons was defending his sister.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    The maroon colored glasses are so thick for some they can't see anything objectively. In his defense, Simmons was defending his sister.
    That shite was still funny, tho.... c'mon mane!

No.

Banned
    vCash
    Spin. We didn't want him anyway. Saban ABSOLUTELY offered him. This is an objective fact.

Since when did Saban have issues with having players on the team with problems as long as they have talent? Cam Robinson had illegal guns in Louisiana and Saban didn't kick him off. Tim Williams failed 3 drug tests while at Bama, and he wasn't kicked off. I'll give you one guess as to how many seconds he missed and I'll give you one hint: Not one second. You need me to name more?

Saban had Jonathan Taylor on the team AFTER he had been arrested for domestic abuse and then Taylor got arrested AGAIN. Why would Saban put up with DOMESTIC ABUSE but not Daddy issues? He also kept Courtney Upshaw.

Stop the spin.

Saban would have ABSOLUTELY taken him (and that's why he offered).
    I never said Saban didn't offer. I clearly said THE reason for Winston going to FSU was because his father wanted him to.

However, Saban and staff did reach a point with his father (who was very difficult to deal with and was sort of a handler) that it didn't hurt their feelings to see him go.

Saban has always given players second chances and he has openly explained why several times. A player and his father being a constant headache isn't something he cares for. Sure, he takes players with issues. Every coach does. However, if players don't adapt to Saban he doesn't adapt to them. It's his way or the highway. As he told Julio Jones to his face, "we will win with you, or we will win without you".

Anyhow, I think CNS did reasonably well without Winston.

vCash
    Anyhow, I think CNS did reasonably well without Winston.
    I'd say he did "aight"....

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    No, I just don't say Mullen won't take a player because of a difficult parent (something relatively very minor) to domestic violence (do I need to say this is relatively major?). There has been no documentation that Saban didn't really want Winston. That's just fan speak for losing out on a player. And given Saban's record of QBs becoming starters in the NFL, I'd say it was anything but "retarded".
    As for objective, I think I'm the only one here discussing objective facts. People have stated Saban only recruits "smart" players like McElroy (when Saban didn't recruit McElroy) and the equivalent of "we didn't want him" when they absolutely did. As I said before, any other position - sure you go. If your goal is simply to win a natty as a QB, then sure go. But most high profile recruits have the goal of going pro, and in that regard for a QB Saban has failed. Miserably. Thats objective.
    Last edited by MSUDAWGFAN; 10-10-2017 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    No, I just don't say Mullen won't take a player because of a difficult parent (something relatively very minor) to domestic violence (do I need to say this is relatively major?). There has been no documentation that Saban didn't really want Winston. That's just fan speak for losing out on a player. And given Saban's record of QBs becoming starters in the NFL, I'd say it was anything but "retarded".
    As for objective, I think I'm the only one here discussing objective facts. People have stated Saban only recruits "smart" players like McElroy (when Saban didn't recruit McElroy) and the equivalent of "we didn't want him" when they absolutely did. As I said before, any other position - sure you go. If your goal is simply to win a natty as a QB, then sure go. But most high profile recruits have the goal of going pro, and in that regard for a QB Saban has failed. Miserably. Thats objective.
    Yawn.

No.

vCash
    I'd say he did "aight"....
    Sure he did, but I may have missed the part where this was about Saban's teams. If I did, I apologize. Saban will average a NC every 2-3 years. That's mighty impressive. But I thought it was about the QBs. And if I'm right on being about the QBs, how is the NFL career going for the QBs that were there during Winston's FSU career? Was it Sims and Coker? How many yards did they pass for last year? What was their QB rating this last year?

You can yawn, call me triggered, say I'm not objective, make up "facts" or whatever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the OP was dead on that no high profile QB should go to Bama if their goal is to make the NFL. And I have laid out a very objective case as to why.

On a different note: do you think Saban is "clean" in his recruiting?

Full transparecy: I believe everyone is cheating, including us. And whether he is or not, it doesn't diminsh the accomplishments he has made, at least in my mind.

vCash
    Jameis not going to Florida State is probably going to be the biggest "what if" of the Saban era. They probably don't lose to Auburn on the last second field goal and they probably have at least one more National Title. They also probably don't lose to Ole Miss.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm still trying to figure out who said Saban didn't want Winston.....

vCash
    1)And if I'm right on being about the QBs, how is the NFL career going for the QBs that were there during Winston's FSU career? Was it Sims and Coker?
    2)How many yards did they pass for last year? What was their QB rating this last year?
    1) It was Sims and he had a shot in the CFL.... not sure if he's still playing...
    2) More than Winston.
    3) Higher than Winston's.

No.

vCash
    This thread has lasted almost 2 days. Amazing.

vCash
    1) It was Sims and he had a shot in the CFL.... not sure if he's still playing...
    2) More than Winston.
    3) Higher than Winston's.
    There you go, just making stuff up like other posters. Just stop. It doesn't help your case.