Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game day experience must-dos

vCash

Game day experience must-dos

Hey Dawg fans,

BYU fan here, even though our team is atrocious this year I still decided to come to next week's game b/c it's not that often that we play at an SEC venue (I don't count the LSU neutral site game).

Anyway, just wondering if ya'll (did I say that right?) have any suggestions for game-day stuff to do. Where to buy a cow-bell, where to tail-gate, where to eat, etc. Being a BYU fan any tips about the best brew in town will be wasted, but other than that, I'd love to hear anything you can tell me. See you all there Saturday, and tell Mullen not to beat up on my Cougs too bad.

vCash
    Cowbell- there are several places you can buy one. There is a Barnes and Noble right by the stadium that sells them and other MSU gear. There is a MSU store on Highway 12 called the Lodge that sells them. Maroon and Co. is a cool higher end store that has some cool cowbells as well but they're going to be more expensive.

The Junction is THE place to tailgate at MSU. It's in front of the stadium- right in front of the aforementioned Barnes and Noble. People are pretty cool and hospitable as long as you are respectful.

To eat- The Cotton District has a lot of bars and restaurants and college type places. If you want something fancy I would suggest Restaurant Tyler on Main St. A lot of people like The Veranda and I think it's OK. Lil' Dooey for bar-b-que is the place you'll probably hear about- at least on ESPN but there are other local places that are pretty good for that. I don't eat a lot of bar-b-que but if Petty's is still around you might try there or someone can give you better advice on bar-b-que. I will warn you that The Cotton District, Main St. and most of the restaurants are going to be very crowded on game day and it will be very difficult to park. Most of the local restaurants are on Main St.- I can't remember what Hobie's restaurant is called.

Usually there is something going on in Starkville on Friday and Sunday on football game weekends. The Friday's are usually some type of concert or something like that and then Sunday is usually something like a Farmer's Market. MSU sends me something every year and I can't find it as far as the weekend schedule goes.

It's y'all. And I'll tell Dan to take it easy on you as long as you don't bring your officials to the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Most of the local restaurants are on Main St.- I can't remember what Hobie's restaurant is called.
    Ya trying too hard.. It's Hobie's on Main

https://www.facebook.com/hobiesonmain/

vCash
    Tailgating at the Junction. Link:

http://www.alumni.msstate.edu/s/811/...gid=1&pgid=765

vCash
    Little Dooey
    Oby?s
    Bulldog Burger

All of these places get there early or prepare to wait a loooong time. If you don?t want to wait there?s always Huddle house and Sonic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Little Dooey
    Oby?s
    Bulldog Burger

All of these places get there early or prepare to wait a loooong time. If you don?t want to wait there?s always Huddle house and Sonic.
    Huddle House is closed.

vCash
    A suggestion I rarely see in these threads but worth a mention.

Go by the MAFES store. It is on campus.

https://msucheese.com/index.cfm
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 10-09-2017 at 08:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    A suggestion I rarely see in this threads but worth a mention.

Go by the MAFES store. It is on campus.

https://msucheese.com/index.cfm
    Muscadine Ripple ice cream is a must eat.

Banned
    vCash
    Yeah depending on you're r age and what you are in to, as well as where you are staying and which nights. Since the game is at 11:00 you need to come to the Junction around 9-9:30 and some State fan will welcome you in. After the game, the Veranda is a good place to get good food and drinks and watch other games. Like, mentioned thenDistrict has bars to bounce around to on Friday and Saturday nights.

vCash
    I am was born LDS and my family have been members for four generations all Mississippians. I am a State Alumni. My brother in law graduated from BYU and he will be at the game with me and son. You will have fun at the game. To bad it's a 11:00 kick off. Tail gating will be down some. I went to the BYU game last season and that was my first game to attend at BYU. This is a different world. Don't be surprise if some stranger ask if you want some barbecue or a beer. Most friendly people in the world down here. I kind of joke because we are a Castle Law state. Basically you can fire your weapon and then ask questions. However if you are broke down on the side of the road some guy in a truck is going to help. So If you need help we will help but if you need killing we will kill you. One thing you need is ear plugs. You have not witness noise until you have heard 60K cow bells. However there probably won't be that many there Saturday due to 11:00 time start.

Also be prepared if you are going to read and post on this board to hear magic underwear and polygamy jokes. I always hate the BYU week on these boards.

vCash
    A 11am kick makes for a subdued tailgating scene with probably as much going on in the Junction after the game as before. For Friday night I would go to Bulldog Burger and have the BBLT,( Pork Belly, Bacon, lettuce, and tomato), and tater tot fondue. For Saturday morning try Starkville Cafe on Main St, try the Duck Butter on biscuits or toast but get there early or be prepared to wait.After the game wander around until you get an invite to watch the rest of the days games at someones tailgate, that's what we will be doing. We are grilling burgers and watching the later games at the RV on campus, you are welcome to hang out. PM me if you want directions.

Banned
    vCash
    I recommend getting some MSU ice cream https://msucheese.com/about_us.cfm

vCash
    Check out our men's and women's basketball teams at Maroon Madness Friday night.

http://hailstate.com/news/2017/9/25/...or-oct-13.aspx

vCash
    The Dawg Walk (around 3 hours before game time in the Junction) might be good to see but like people have said, it being 11 am will drastically reduce the intensity of everything. I always like to walk around campus when I go somewhere else so you might enjoy that. There is tailgating all over campus but it is primarily around the stadium with the Junction being the biggest single spot. The Barnes & Noble also has a clock museum and our library is the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library if you are interested in that.

If you are willing to go to a bar then there is probably some form of live music at Ricks Cafe.

As far as food goes, Oby's is great if you want a sandwich, Lil Dooey's is good BBQ (ESPN always talks about it). Petty's BBQ is just a small building with picnic tables outside to eat and it is on Highway 12 not too far from campus. The Veranda, Harvey's, or Restaurant Tyler are all good choices for a nicer sit down dinner but not where it would require "dressing up". Everywhere is pretty laid back and you won't be out of place wearing a Tshirt.

As far as a cowbell which would be a cool souvenir, The Lodge on Highway 12, Maroon & Co. also on Highway 12, Campus Bookmart on Main St., or the Barnes & Noble right by the stadium all will have several cowbells to choose from.

Safe travels and I hope you have a great time.

Banned
    vCash
    Speaking of Game-Day-experience, could someone fill me in a little on the positive changes that have taken place since I've been to a home game? sorry for the slight hijack but due to where I've been living and my job I haven't been to a home game since the year we beat Clemson in the Peach Bowl (went to that game too).

I remember going to a couple of away games to bamer back in the mid 90's. I was at the one where JJ poured it on bamer. I also went to the game in Knoxville with a UT buddy when the vols beat the gators when the vols won the natty that year when I lived in Memphis.

what I remember was wishing MSU would have things set up like I saw @ bamer and UT. live music, open door bar / restaurants where you could just casually walk in , grab some good food and a beer and stuff. The pathways to get to the stadium had all of these things on both sides. lot's of excitement, live music & food & alcohol galore.

I'm going to be in better position to go to some games next year and would be interested to know what differences I'm going to see other than our stadium renovation.

vCash
    If you are into history and have time, drive over to Columbus. There are a lot of antebellum homes there. There is a driving tour. There is one just north of town called Waverly that you can tour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BYUfan View Post
    Hey Dawg fans,

BYU fan here, even though our team is atrocious this year I still decided to come to next week's game b/c it's not that often that we play at an SEC venue (I don't count the LSU neutral site game).

Anyway, just wondering if ya'll (did I say that right?) have any suggestions for game-day stuff to do. Where to buy a cow-bell, where to tail-gate, where to eat, etc. Being a BYU fan any tips about the best brew in town will be wasted, but other than that, I'd love to hear anything you can tell me. See you all there Saturday, and tell Mullen not to beat up on my Cougs too bad.
    If you buy a cowbell, make sure you buy a legit one. The Lodge, Maroon and Co and others will have them for sale. The year of the cowbell ones, while visually pleasing aren't made of the same quality material as the bully bells.

As far as food,

MUST TRIES
    Burgers- Bulldog Burger Company
    BBQ- Little Dooeys
    Bar Food- Stagger Inn
    Pizza- Dave's Darkhorse Tavern (while it might look sketchy you won't be disappointed)

Others- The Veranda, Mugshots, and Lost Pizza.

Walk around the Junction on game day and interact. People will load you up on hospitality and food. Enjoy yourself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Speaking of Game-Day-experience, could someone fill me in a little on the positive changes that have taken place since I've been to a home game? sorry for the slight hijack but due to where I've been living and my job I haven't been to a home game since the year we beat Clemson in the Peach Bowl (went to that game too).

I remember going to a couple of away games to bamer back in the mid 90's. I was at the one where JJ poured it on bamer. I also went to the game in Knoxville with a UT buddy when the vols beat the gators when the vols won the natty that year when I lived in Memphis.

what I remember was wishing MSU would have things set up like I saw @ bamer and UT. live music, open door bar / restaurants where you could just casually walk in , grab some good food and a beer and stuff. The pathways to get to the stadium had all of these things on both sides. lot's of excitement, live music & food & alcohol galore.

I'm going to be in better position to go to some games next year and would be interested to know what differences I'm going to see other than our stadium renovation.
    It's completely different than back then and almost all the changes are good ones. You won't believe the Junction. Back then MSU didn't have a tailgate scene really. We sure do now. To bad this is an 11am game so unfortunately you won't get the full experience. If you haven't been on campus at all since then be careful driving. A lot of the roads you remember are no longer there and some have changed directions and routes. There are a ton of new and heavily renovated buildings. Go check out the Union for sure.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It's completely different than back then and almost all the changes are good ones. You won't believe the Junction. Back then MSU didn't have a tailgate scene really. We sure do now. To bad this is an 11am game so unfortunately you won't get the full experience. If you haven't been on campus at all since then be careful driving. A lot of the roads you remember are no longer there and some have changed directions and routes. There are a ton of new and heavily renovated buildings. Go check out the Union for sure.
    thanks Liver. what I remember about bamer and ut though was it appeared they were actually selling alcohol on campus. that can't be though, right? isn't alcohol sales prohibited on college campuses? If I recall, people were buying alcohol and food within walking distance to the stadium. I'm just going off memory from a long time ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    thanks Liver. what I remember about bamer and ut though was it appeared they were actually selling alcohol on campus. that can't be though, right? isn't alcohol sales prohibited on college campuses? If I recall, people were buying alcohol and food within walking distance to the stadium. I'm just going off memory from a long time ago.
    It is in Mississippi, selling it at least. It's not that way everywhere.