Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's talk OL line-up should Rankin miss BYU

vCash

What about the redshirt on Tyre Phillips...

Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I agree with this. This Moon's 3rd year, and if Hevesy thinks he is not good enough to play, maybe he should transfer to another school. It seems we have quite a few similar OL. Sign them to a scholarship, but never see them on the field.
    I would assume that may come off if Rankin is out for the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilldawg View Post
    I would assume that may come off if Rankin is out for the year.
    Maybe but I bet we would just go with Eiland and hope for the best.

That would mean- our tackles are both redshirt freshman and honestly Reese profiles better at guard. The guards are a So. and a Jr. And the center is a Jr. in his first year of playing Jr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Maybe but I bet we would just go with Eiland and hope for the best.

That would mean- our tackles are both redshirt freshman and honestly Reese profiles better at guard. The guards are a So. and a Jr. And the center is a Jr. in his first year of playing Jr.
    Unless those guys are 5 star guys then it is never a good thing to have a freshman at Tackle in the SEC. Freshmen end up typically looking like Eiland did against AU. Hopefully he will improve since everyone but Bama is a big step down from what he has already played against.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    And we were a bad team last year and they had to kick a 50 yd FG to win, at home. KY is not that good.

Hell, they couldn't beat a bad Fla. team at home.

If we play like we are capable, we handle Ky easily
    The score is what it is, but we were lucky to even be in that game against KY last year. They outgained us by 200 yards and we had a 80+ yard fumble return TD when they were about to score on us. If people continue to just assume the Kentucky game is a walk-through, there might be a meltdown on here if the game is close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    The score is what it is, but we were lucky to even be in that game against KY last year. They outgained us by 200 yards and we had a 80+ yard fumble return TD when they were about to score on us. If people continue to just assume the Kentucky game is a walk-through, there might be a meltdown on here if the game is close.
    There will be a melt down for every game, no matter the outcome

vCash
    It seems we have quite a few similar OL. Sign them to a scholarship, but never see them on the field.
    Not saying our o-line recruiting hasn't been sub-par, because it absolutely has, but what you said is simply the reality of o-line recruiting for practically everyone. It's the hardest set of positions on the field to evaluate aside from arguably place kicker, so you have to take the shotgun approach. Without doing the research, I'd be surprised if more than half of the average team's OL signees ever played significant snaps under ideal circumstances. Again, not saying our OL recruiting hasn't been awful, but signing OL to scholarships who go on not to contribute isn't out of the ordinary.

vCash
    I think Florida beats LSU by double digits

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Not saying our o-line recruiting hasn't been sub-par, because it absolutely has, but what you said is simply the reality of o-line recruiting for practically everyone. It's the hardest set of positions on the field to evaluate aside from arguably place kicker, so you have to take the shotgun approach. Without doing the research, I'd be surprised if more than half of the average team's OL signees ever played significant snaps under ideal circumstances. Again, not saying our OL recruiting hasn't been awful, but signing OL to scholarships who go on not to contribute isn't out of the ordinary.
    We also don't process players out like other programs do. Bama doesn't keep guys on schollies who aren't going to produce. We end up with guys who play only in blowouts 2 or 3 times a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyper View Post
    Eiland is not SEC-ready. If he has to play extended snaps- then we likely do not beat Kentucky, A&M, or Arkansas. Beatdown by Bama. That leaves the Ole Miss game deciding if we go bowling or not depending on our team grades

Losing Rankin would be crushing
    I agree. Eiland is no-where near SEC ready. We have other guys on the team that I'm sure are more advanced than him. Moon is a center, and has played pretty good in the few times that Hevesy has allowed him to play. Why not give him a shot and put Jenkins back at tackle where he should be in the first place.

vCash
    I agree. Eiland is no-where near SEC ready. We have other guys on the team that I'm sure are more advanced than him. Moon is a center, and has played pretty good in the few times that Hevesy has allowed him to play. Why not give him a shot and put Jenkins back at tackle where he should be in the first place.
    I have no clue how they are rating him but there is more to center than blocking the guy in front of you. It could be that he struggles on making the calls at the line. At the end of the day, Hev and Mullen get paid to put the best combination of guys out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I have no clue how they are rating him but there is more to center than blocking the guy in front of you. It could be that he struggles on making the calls at the line. At the end of the day, Hev and Mullen get paid to put the best combination of guys out there.
    Yeah, you are correct in that Hev and Mullen are getting paid (an exorbitant amount I might add) to put the best combination of guys out there. Based on the outcome of these last 2 games in which we were outscored 80-13, some may question whether we are getting an acceptable ROI.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    you make good points regarding that game but wasn't that one of the worst defensive games of the year last year? despite the last 2 ass whippings we've taken, I still think we take care of them handily this year. I still think we're better this year. should handle the Jell Meisters easily this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    you make good points regarding that game but wasn't that one of the worst defensive games of the year last year? despite the last 2 ass whippings we've taken, I still think we take care of them handily this year. I still think we're better this year. should handle the Jell Meisters easily this year.
    No, that was one of many bad defensive games last year. We were terrible against Auburn (down 35-0 at the half), Arkansas and Alabama. Alabama put in their substitutes in the second half and just ran the ball to hold down the score. They could have beaten us bad as they wanted to.
    Last edited by NCDawg; 10-06-2017 at 03:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    There will be a melt down for every game, no matter the outcome
    True story

vCash
    Yeah, you are correct in that Hev and Mullen are getting paid (an exorbitant amount I might add) to put the best combination of guys out there. Based on the outcome of these last 2 games in which we were outscored 80-13, some may question whether we are getting an acceptable ROI.
    I actually think who they play and where is not a bad coaching job. My biggest problem with them is we are having to play freshmen at the tackle spots and they aren't ready. You either recruit at such a high level that you get those premier tackles similar to the ones UM bought or you have to recruit enough guys and process out the ones not cutting it. Bama does both of those and we do neither.

vCash
    I think Florida beats LSU by double digits
    You were saying???
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    You were saying???
    Missed on that one for sure. LSU getting some guys back on defense was big for them

vCash
    I trust Hev.
    Like a fart after Taco Bell.

vCash
    Missed on that one for sure. LSU getting some guys back on defense was big for them
    and, with all respect, you are giving KY too much credit too. Florida is horrible, and won at KY
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    and, with all respect, you are giving KY too much credit too. Florida is horrible, and won at KY
    I agree. I think last season KY looked better then this one. They have not played a tough schedule and have not looked very clean in any of them. They are hurting worse on the O Line then us when it comes to injuries.