Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to sign some more offensive linemen this year?

Banned
    vCash

Are we going to sign some more offensive linemen this year?

I thought I read where Rosie said we weren't. We have 2 committed, with 13 coming back on the roster next year. That's not enough, Mullen.

Losing Cole Smith is still a head scratcher.

Any JUCOs on the horizon?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    We will sign at least 2 maybe 3 more. My money is on 2.

Banned
    vCash
    Awesome, thanks

vCash
    What are the chances we make a late run at Cole Smith? Maybe he has 2nd thoughts with LSU laying a turd this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    We will sign at least 2 maybe 3 more. My money is on 2.
    2 more high school? Or are you counting JUCO? Seems like we really need 2 more high school following up on getting one HS OL to campus in the previous class.

Banned
    vCash
    So we have the stud Kwatrivious Johnson committed and we expect to get 2 more H.S OL committed and sign for Feb 2018?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    I thought I read where Rosie said we weren't. We have 2 committed, with 13 coming back on the roster next year. That's not enough, Mullen.

Losing Cole Smith is still a head scratcher.

Any JUCOs on the horizon?

Wonder how Cole feels about Ed O and disgruntled fanbase over in tigerland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
    What are the chances we make a late run at Cole Smith? Maybe he has 2nd thoughts with LSU laying a turd this year?
    I just don't see it & im not that torn up about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    2 more high school? Or are you counting JUCO? Seems like we really need 2 more high school following up on getting one HS OL to campus in the previous class.
    2 more HS OL 4 total

vCash
    I'd take the OL at Brookhaven over Smith. I don't see us going after either very hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'd take the OL at Brookhaven over Smith. I don't see us going after either very hard.
    Well shit, we have to have actual bodies. Maybe we've got some double secret HS recruits locked up that we like better than Smith, but if we follow up signing one high school offensive lineman with two high school offensive linemen, that will basically guarantee us another 2011, except it will be worse because we will have a much better level of talent completely derailed by the inability to find bodies to fill out an OL.

vCash
    Don't worry Hev says we have a few TEs that he wants to make centers and tackles out of them.**

vCash
    Hev gonna go down to the local Chinese buffet to recruit some bodies for the OL.

*ahem* I mean, Hev's got some very secret OL recruits that he's gonna develop into studs***

vCash
    If things close out like it's looking then the OL class will be 1 we can be happy about.

vCash
    We lose 1 olineman (Rankin) this year and replace him with 4 olinemen (not counting RSs this year)... I think this is a step in the right direction

vCash
    Hoping for carvin, that mystery recruit is a tackle and Cunningham signs with us as an athlete

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    If things close out like it's looking then the OL class will be 1 we can be happy about.
    That's good to hear, but I don't expect it to close out like it's looking, because OL is still the position we constantly fail to close on.

I expect us to look good in December and/or late January, and then for us to lose recruits we thought we were solid with and have OL not qualify. We better be recruiting some decent back up options hard, so that we aren't playing catchup when we find out we are not actually getting 2 of the 4 OL we were counting on.

Hopefully this will be the year that either Hevesy proves that he was getting unfairly blamed for shitty OL recruting or that Looney proves he can make up for Hevesy, because we really can't afford to follow up signing one HS OL with another inadequate OL class.

vCash
    Like IYOK said prob 2 more both HS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We lose 1 olineman (Rankin) this year and replace him with 4 olinemen (not counting RSs this year)... I think this is a step in the right direction
    Well, this class will be RS So in 2020, so probably the better judge is how we doing compared to the starters we will in 2019. Of course with only signing one HS OL last year, we might need to judge it based on how many we expect to be ready as a RS FR in 2019.

In 2019, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese, Parker, Eiland, Suggs, Story, Williams, Phillips, and Champion. So basically we have already seen four OL play: Reese (RS Jr), Williams (Sr.), Story (Sr.), and Eiland (RS Jr.). Then Suggs will be a RS So, Parker will be a RS Jr., and Champion and Phillips will be RS Srs. You'd think that would be enough RS SO and above to put together a decent line.

In 2020, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese (RS Sr), Eiland (RS Sr.), Suggs (RS jr), and Parker (RS Sr.), and then whoever we sign this class will presumably be RS So at that point. Obviously this ignores JUCO additions, but it would be nice to have another 4 RS So to choose from to fill out our line (especially considering it seems unlikely we will have two straight classes where we don't suffer any attrition).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Well, this class will be RS So in 2020, so probably the better judge is how we doing compared to the starters we will in 2019. Of course with only signing one HS OL last year, we might need to judge it based on how many we expect to be ready as a RS FR in 2019.

In 2019, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese, Parker, Eiland, Suggs, Story, Williams, Phillips, and Champion. So basically we have already seen four OL play: Reese (RS Jr), Williams (Sr.), Story (Sr.), and Eiland (RS Jr.). Then Suggs will be a RS So, Parker will be a RS Jr., and Champion and Phillips will be RS Srs. You'd think that would be enough RS SO and above to put together a decent line.

In 2020, ignoring attrition, we're going to have Reese (RS Sr), Eiland (RS Sr.), Suggs (RS jr), and Parker (RS Sr.), and then whoever we sign this class will presumably be RS So at that point. Obviously this ignores JUCO additions, but it would be nice to have another 4 RS So to choose from to fill out our line (especially considering it seems unlikely we will have two straight classes where we don't suffer any attrition).
    Then we are halfway there with Johnson and McDowell and have IFYOK saying we have 2 more coming. There is your 4. It's also possible that Cooper and Richardson (from '17) make it from JUCO, and if they are RS like we tend to do, they will be RSJR in 2020. That's also why IFYOK said last January we didn't need to be in a panic if a couple of guys from this year went JUCO