Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This makes me smile

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yet. The All Star season hasn't started yet. I could see 1-2 potentially getting there depending on how they perform in the All-Star game.
    Only 1 with a legit shot is Dolla Bill. He would have to kill it at the MS/AL game & then dominate Under Armour week like Chris Jones.

vCash
    The Clarion-Ledger always picks at least one guy that isn't a major prospect that puts up big numbers and is a good high school player. This year it's Ragsdale.

That's one reason why it's almost impossible to sweep the Dandy Dozen. Plus they always try to put on there at least one guy that is going to commit to Ole Miss and possibly USM if they can. So, getting 8-9 Dandy Dozen guys is essentially cleaning up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Only 1 with a legit shot is Dolla Bill. He would have to kill it at the MS/AL game & then dominate Under Armour week like Chris Jones.
    He was one of the two I was thinking. Heath was the other. He doesn't have a great QB throwing the ball to him plus I'm sure teams do everything they can to keep him from getting the ball. If he has a good UA Game I could see him possibly getting it.

IMO Dolla Bill is the best player in the state although my guess is Marcus Murphy probably wins player of the year.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He was one of the two I was thinking. Heath was the other. He doesn't have a great QB throwing the ball to him plus I'm sure teams do everything they can to keep him from getting the ball. If he has a good UA Game I could see him possibly getting it.

IMO Dolla Bill is the best player in the state although my guess is Marcus Murphy probably wins player of the year.
    Dolla has the highest potential & ceiling but there isn't a better player on Friday night than Marcus Murphy. Not in a camp setting but with pads on I'm picking Marcus & it's not close.

Senior Member maroonwhitedawg3ddd's Avatar
    vCash
    Pretty Damn impressive ! Hailstate

Banned
    vCash
    Only 1 with a legit shot is Dolla Bill.
    Sorry but who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Sorry but who?
    https://247sports.com/player/kwatrivous-johnson-93986

Kwatrivous Johnson's nick name is Dolla Bill

Banned
    vCash
    That is an amazing nickname lol

vCash
    That's the way this list needs to look for the next few years. Mullen and crew need to lock down the borders and put their foot on OM's neck. If they can recruit OL and WR at a higher level State could get really good over the next few years.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Dolla has the highest potential & ceiling but there isn't a better player on Friday night than Marcus Murphy. Not in a camp setting but with pads on I'm picking Marcus & it's not close.
    Marcus is a great young man on the field and off. Cannot wait for him to join our family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Don't get too upset about any coast players, football sucks down here.
    Absolutely, football on the coast is terrible. Last year not one 6A team won s playoff game and I don't see a playoff win this year either.

vCash
    LOL! Right...the coast has some of the best in the state in all sports. Just a dumb thing to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    LOL! Right...the coast has some of the best in the state in all sports. Just a dumb thing to say.
    In Baseball, Basketball and Soccer yes but not football. Gulfport goes to play Rummel, gets splattered, shutout. SSC goes to play St Pauls out of Mobile, gets shutout. I think only SSC has made it to at least a south state championship in the last few years. Hell MRA came down and beat SSC.

vCash
    Historically speaking, this couldn't be more wrong.

vCash
    I've seen coast FB since the late 60's. Up until about 5 years ago you always had a few teams that could compete and win at the State level. The farthest Gulport has gotten is the 2nd playoff game in 2003 or 2003. They lost to Waynesboro in a great game. Biloxi hasn't hardly sniffed a winning season in the last 20 years. I think SSC, Ocean Springs and iDberville are about the only Coast teams to have even played for a state championship in the last ten years. Now back in the 60's to 80's you had state powerhouses in the big 8 and also at he lower levels. Heck half the 77 state champs from Gulfport played on the Bellard teams. Soccer and year round basketball and Baseball are killing fb down here. All you have to do is look at the Dandy Dozen to see how Coast talent stacks up against state wide talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shrimp View Post
    Historically speaking, this couldn't be more wrong.
    History aside, in 6A there is not one team on the coast that could compete for a state championship. The north half teams would have little trouble pushing aside even the best teams on the coast. As far as 4A and 5A there are a couple of good squads but I don't think they can keep pace with the teams north of the three coast counties.

vCash
    I've seen coast FB since the late 60's. Up until about 5 years ago you always had a few teams that could compete and win at the State level. The farthest Gulport has gotten is the 2nd playoff game in 2003 or 2003. They lost to Waynesboro in a great game. Biloxi hasn't hardly sniffed a winning season in the last 20 years. I think SSC, Ocean Springs and iDberville are about the only Coast teams to have even played for a state championship in the last ten years. Now back in the 60's to 80's you had state powerhouses in the big 8 and also at he lower levels. Heck half the 77 state champs from Gulfport played on the Bellard teams. Soccer and year round basketball and Baseball are killing fb down here. All you have to do is look at the Dandy Dozen to see how Coast talent stacks up against state wide talent.
    HS football is not the draw on the coast that it is other places in the state. Just too much to compete with. Even in other relatively large population centers in the state (or at least large for MS), there's just not the competing draws on Friday nights.

Not sure how it is now, but several years ago, you could be talking to somebody in Madison that didn't have a kid at the school and they could tell you generally how Madison Central and possibly even MRA are at football. My impression from my time on the coast is that if someone isn't connected with the school or somebody playing, they have no clue where any of the coast schools stand. Not sure if that really plays into how many legit prospects the areas produce, but I could see it resulting in some good prospects dropping football whereas in other areas of the state the emphasis on football and attention it gets convinces Jr. High and early high school players with potential to stick with it.