Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We're the best team in the division, have been all year. It will be hard for us not to win it.
    Up until a few weeks ago, I thought the nats would catch us. Never been that scared of Phillies.

I actually like where we are positioned right now too. If we stay 2-seed, we'd get home series vs west winner. I'd much rather than draw than brewers or cards

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Up until a few weeks ago, I thought the nats would catch us. Never been that scared of Phillies.

I actually like where we are positioned right now too. If we stay 2-seed, we'd get home series vs west winner. I'd much rather than draw than brewers or cards
    Nats having Max Scherzer certainly helps their chances. We still don't have a shutdown ace like that but we do have a great young pitching staff. Gausman has been a great pickup.

vCash
    Right now the playoff rotation is Gausman, Folty, and ???? Need Newcomb to pick it up because a month ago I would be saying he's definitely the 3rd starter in a playoff series.

Newcomb has a better ERA but a higher WHIP than Teheran. Teheran has a .20 better BAA. But he gives up a metric crap ton of homers. I would prefer it to be Newcomb but he's got to pitch better.

As long as the bats continue to do their job we will win the division. But if we regress to what we did against the Marlins last week while we are playing some the best teams in baseball we are screwed.

vCash
    Gausam has been a great, surprise, pickup.

vCash
    Newcomb's just up and down. His last start was great, the two before that were bad, but the 3 before that were great. He just needs to become more consistent. I think he's still our best option in the 3rd slot in a playoff series.

I don't want to face the Dodgers in that series if we can help it, even if it's at home. Obviously I'll take that over a road series or the play-in game, but I'd actually rather play the Cards or Brewers than the Dodgers. I doubt we catch the Cubs, though.

vCash
    Braves finally address LH PH by getting Duda. Good move.

Not as sure about Rivera, but gotta assume he upgrades Chris Stewart

vCash
    Braves finally address LH PH by getting Duda. Good move.

Not as sure about Rivera, but gotta assume he upgrades Chris Stewart
    Problem is doesn't that say quite a bit about our feelings on Stewart? Can't imagine we have hardly any faith in him at all with us getting Rivera. Additionally, I would imagine us getting Flowers inked this early means we like him as our starter next year? Not gonna go after a big time catcher or even some upgrade?

vCash
    4.5 game lead with 31 games to go. The braves have the largest division lead in the NL. I'm starting to get excited.

Really hope the braves can snag josh Donaldson for the stretch run
    We have a really tough September schedule, including 7 against the Phillies.

I didnt like the Gausman trade, but I gave the caveat that if they saw something they could fix, then it's a good deal. And boy did they.

In the offseason I see them trading for a corner OF that has 2 years left on a deal. That lines them up to plug Pache in and trade Ender maybe for 2020, then plug in Waters or Jenista in 2021.

I see Carmago getting the 3B job. That gives them the flexibility to see how Swanson and Albies adjust. If they have to they can call up Riley and slide Camargo over to one of those spots.

Teheran will be traded, and Touki will be the 4th starter. Competition in spring for the 5th spot. I think Wilson has the inside track.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post

I didnt like the Gausman trade, but I gave the caveat that if they saw something they could fix, then it's a good deal. And boy did they.

In the offseason I see them trading for a corner OF that has 2 years left on a deal. That lines them up to plug Pache in and trade Ender maybe for 2020, then plug in Waters or Jenista in 2021.

I see Carmago getting the 3B job. That gives them the flexibility to see how Swanson and Albies adjust. If they have to they can call up Riley and slide Camargo over to one of those spots.

Teheran will be traded, and Touki will be the 4th starter. Competition in spring for the 5th spot. I think Wilson has the inside track.
    Touki is ready now. Would love to see him get some starts down the stretch. I would be more comfortable with Teheran going if I was more sure about Newcomb. But he flat out sucks the last 4-5 games. Fatigue maybe? We've also got Fried that has a chance, but Folty and Gausman is a good start for a 1-2 next year.

I would love to see us upgrade the left side of the infield for 2 years. I'm not sure Riley will be ready next year. A one year rental would be fine with me, trade Dansby, and let Camargo handle SS. The position that really confuses me is catcher. Are we really gonna go with Flowers and make that call this early by resigning him? That shocked me a little

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Touki is ready now. Would love to see him get some starts down the stretch. I would be more comfortable with Teheran going if I was more sure about Newcomb. But he flat out sucks the last 4-5 games. Fatigue maybe? We've also got Fried that has a chance, but Folty and Gausman is a good start for a 1-2 next year.

I would love to see us upgrade the left side of the infield for 2 years. I'm not sure Riley will be ready next year. A one year rental would be fine with me, trade Dansby, and let Camargo handle SS. The position that really confuses me is catcher. Are we really gonna go with Flowers and make that call this early by resigning him? That shocked me a little
    Touki absolutely will be starting a few down the stretch. A few other guys will be in the pen.

Newcomb probably has a little fatigue. Dont forget the 130 pitches he threw in the near no.hitter.

You are still underestimating the defensive value of Swanson.

Flowers is the backup. They'll make a.run at a couple stud Catchers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they resign Suzuki or similar.

vCash

I agree with pretty much all of this, at least in terms of what I would like to see.

I do think it's possible Waters is ready by mid-2020, though.

vCash
    Watch for my boy, weigel, this spring. I think he makes the team by May as a reliever or maybe even a starter

vCash
    Touki absolutely will be starting a few down the stretch. A few other guys will be in the pen.

Newcomb probably has a little fatigue. Dont forget the 130 pitches he threw in the near no.hitter.

You are still underestimating the defensive value of Swanson.

Flowers is the backup. They'll make a.run at a couple stud Catchers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they resign Suzuki or similar.
    Flowers and Suzuki are adequate but it would be nice to have a premium level catcher. Swanson is a top 5 or better defensive SS, hopefully his bat comes around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Flowers and Suzuki are adequate but it would be nice to have a premium level catcher. Swanson is a top 5 or better defensive SS, hopefully his bat comes around.
    Swanson is at .713 ops right now. Not great, but hardly terrible. If he can get that to around .750, he becomes extremely valuable

vCash
    There really aren't many 'premium' catchers...or at least, Flowers and Suzuki aren't that far off from the best in baseball.

Suzuki + Flowers combined fWAR last year = 5.2
    Suzuki + Flowers combined fWAR this year = 2.4

Last year, they were 7th and 9th respectively in catcher WAR despite splitting time, and the Braves led baseball in catcher WAR.
    This year, they are both t17th in catcher WAR, but the Braves are still 7th in baseball as a team in catcher WAR.

The Braves are doing well at catcher. Now obviously, they may not re-sign Suzuki, and they are both aging. But they are doing well there. The best catcher in the league will only put up 4-5 WAR by himself. There just aren't many elite catchers, and even those that are don't have quite the value of the top players at other positions. It would be nice to upgrade catcher, but there just aren't many options out there that would actually be an upgrade, and virtually none that are available. Realmuto and Grandal are about the only ones who could be had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    There really aren't many 'premium' catchers...or at least, Flowers and Suzuki aren't that far off from the best in baseball.

Suzuki + Flowers combined fWAR last year = 5.2
    Suzuki + Flowers combined fWAR this year = 2.4

Last year, they were 7th and 9th respectively in catcher WAR despite splitting time, and the Braves led baseball in catcher WAR.
    This year, they are both t17th in catcher WAR, but the Braves are still 7th in baseball as a team in catcher WAR.

The Braves are doing well at catcher. Now obviously, they may not re-sign Suzuki, and they are both aging. But they are doing well there. The best catcher in the league will only put up 4-5 WAR by himself. There just aren't many elite catchers, and even those that are don't have quite the value of the top players at other positions. It would be nice to upgrade catcher, but there just aren't many options out there that would actually be an upgrade, and virtually none that are available. Realmuto and Grandal are about the only ones who could be had.
    And both will be very expensive... grandal money wise and realmuto prospects. Pass on both

vCash
    And both will be very expensive... grandal money wise and realmuto prospects. Pass on both
    Any good catchers in the farm system?

vCash
    Any good catchers in the farm system?
    Good: William Contreras A+

Could be good: Lucas Herbert A+, drew lugbauer A

About to give up on: Alex Jackson AAA

vCash

Braves

Well that was the kind of loss that costs you a magical season. With grienke and Corbin on back to back days, I expect this slide to continue. Braves are now 3-13 in the 2nd half vs winning teams with 16 more games vs winning teams left. Phillies, opportunity knocks... I expect them to take advantage. Just awful! Spit!

vCash
    Noone cares. They suck. Damnit why did you make ANOTHER thread...