Thread: Get screened like Dak says

vCash

Get screened like Dak says

I?m in my early 40?s and this week a colonoscopy saved my life. It found a large polyp which was removed, and thank the good Lord above it came back normal. That said, the doctor told me had it not been found and removed it had a 100% chance of becoming colon cancer. The blessing in disguise is that the symptoms that started me down this path ended up not even being related to the polyp. I know the guidelines say you can wait until your 50 to start them, but if you?re having symptoms of something not being right or a family history then get screened earlier. Had I waited until I was 50 then it would have been way too late for me. I was very nervous about getting one, but there really is nothing to them. And certainly FAR better than getting the news that the procedure can prevent.

vCash
    I always wondered why they said to start screening at 50. Cancer is an epidemic.

vCash
    One of my best friends died at 40 from colon cancer that metastasized. He ignored signs for several years cause he thought he was to young. It didn't have to happen. Miss him a lot.

vCash
    I had my first in my early 50's. Luckily no problems. Ten years later.....time for my second one.

vCash
    I am reminded every day how much I wish I'd have said something when I started getting symptoms. I didn't wanna miss out on my life for a day or two to be bothered with it. Now, it will bother me till the day I die. For sure, people if you show symptoms I don't care how old you are tell someone. I was in my 30's, and it was Stage 3. Definitely, get screened if you have family history as soon as it's paid for. And if you wait, don't go past 50. It's too easy. After my diagnosis, one of my closest friends and my sister both got screened. Both had polyps removed. At least they won't live with this mess I deal with daily.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    I had Colon Cancer at 34... symptoms were abdominal pain in lower left belly and had blood in my poop.... took out about a foot of my colon and spent 8 days in hospital... they were able to reconnect me with no problems, but have a scar longways down my abdomen about a foot long...no problems since with my colon but had a big Melanoma took out of my back about a year ago... I'm 50 now, but if I had waited 6 months longer on going to doctor about colon, I wouldn't be here now.

vCash
    What were your symptoms? Anyone feel free to answer.

vCash
    Also, get a skin screening. I had one, and they found Pre-Melanoma. It had not progressed to stage 1 yet. Got a nice scar on my back, but it beats having Melanoma. Now, I'm going every six months to have a screening. Trust me guys, i sell Oncology drugs, you do NOT want any type of cancer. Do your part for you and your family and get any and all types of scans, tests, or whatever is needed to catch the cancer early. I want you to be around to post on ED!

vCash
    It took my grandfather, my dad gets screened and had polyps removed. I assumed I was in the clear due to age but aprently not. I turned 34 a week or so ago, need to look into it. In all honesty your guys openness is admirable. Going to look into getting it done. Thanks guys, it's important.

Aaaaand

Drugdog, glad to hear your drugs are legal***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Statecoachingblows** View Post
    It took my grandfather, my dad gets screened and had polyps removed. I assumed I was in the clear due to age but aprently not. I turned 34 a week or so ago, need to look into it. In all honesty your guys openness is admirable. Going to look into getting it done. Thanks guys, it's important.

Aaaaand

Drugdog, glad to hear your drugs are legal***
    Thanks Brother. Get it done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    I was very nervous about getting one, but there really is nothing to them.
    The procedure really is a non-event and, after going through one, they are nothing to worry about. For me, the worst part was the nurse not being able to get a vein for the IV.

Good to hear they caught it in time and you have that behind you.

vCash
    The sleep you get after you get home from your colonoscopy is the best nap you will ever have.

vCash
    People, this is important. Stop the it can't happen to me. I have had a colonoscopy done every 5 years since I was 50 that is 4 times now and they always find 1 to 3 small polyps and they were easily removed. You wake up and it's done. My neighbors in Houston 25 years ago both had had the colostomy procedures. TRUST ME YOU DON"T WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT.

Also pay attention to what Drugdog said, get a Dermatologist, and get checked yearly. I am and she always finds a place to freeze.

vCash
    Any other symptoms you guys can think of? I had lower left abdominal pain going on for several months. Thinking it was diverticulitis (per my dads thought). To make a long story short, after a trip to the ER, then cardiologist, another doc in the box, due to have an irregular heart beat for 9 days.... Blood work came back, that I've had mononucleosis all summer and was thinking that was causing the irregular heart beats and was having lower left abdominal pain. After my mono started to some what clear up, my abdominal pain didn't. It was a nagging and annoying pain, not severe. Last month my doctor ordered me to get a CT scan done. Everything came back clear, other than I had a case of "enteritis" inflamed and irritated small intestine. Anyhow, gave me antibiotic (sipro) and inflammatory to take and it slowly has gone away. Been a couple weeks now without any pain in that spot. I really thought after 3/4 months of it, that I had a tumor or something bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    Any other symptoms you guys can think of? I had lower left abdominal pain going on for several months. Thinking it was diverticulitis (per my dads thought). To make a long story short, after a trip to the ER, then cardiologist, another doc in the box, due to have an irregular heart beat for 9 days.... Blood work came back, that I've had mononucleosis all summer and was thinking that was causing the irregular heart beats and was having lower left abdominal pain. After my mono started to some what clear up, my abdominal pain didn't. It was a nagging and annoying pain, not severe. Last month my doctor ordered me to get a CT scan done. Everything came back clear, other than I had a case of "enteritis" inflamed and irritated small intestine. Anyhow, gave me antibiotic (sipro) and inflammatory to take and it slowly has gone away. Been a couple weeks now without any pain in that spot. I really thought after 3/4 months of it, that I had a tumor or something bad.
    That was the kind of pain I had, it mine was right side in two different places. I still have it down. I had a CT scan, too, and it came back clear. My gastro thinks it?s a residual effect from a viral infection so we?ll see. Said to avoid dairy and fatty foods and see if that helps. My family doctor was thinking bacterial infection and gave me Cipro and flagyl. Flagyl is a demonic antibiotic. The side effects were horrible. So what I know for me is I?ve had a buttload of bloodwork, ct scan, and a colonoscopy and all are good. My pain may be a gastritis or enteritis like you. What was the anti inflammatory he gave you?

vCash
    Ahh, well I guess I kinda lied. The nurse practitioner gave me the cipro. That was it. Then a few days later, I see one of my customers, who is a retired doctor/surgeon. Who knows everything and whenever I have anything going on, rest of my family as well, we go to Dr. Jeffcoat, brilliant man. He shook is head when he heard that I got an antibiotic for it. Said I should have been on anti-inflammatorys instead. So, I kinda did alil bit of both. IBU has always been my go to. And if no IBU, Aleve. Man, I just realized you're the one that posted this thread. Hopefully that's just what you have also. Was the polyp that was removed, in the same area of where the pain you were having? Could that have not been it?
    Last edited by klong-dog; 09-30-2017 at 08:59 AM.