Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitzgerald is the key to beating Auburn

vCash

Fitzgerald is the key to beating Auburn

Unless something crazy and random that is unexpected- hey, it's sports- I think Fitz being able to make better reads and at least attempting to throw the ball downfield about 5-6 times could be the difference in us winning and losing. Everyone talks about Georgia's run defense but the fact of the matter is we had the SAME average YPC as Georgia did in that game despite Georgia having much higher profile running backs than MSU. Yes, we allowed 200 yards rushing but to me, if we're allowing 50 yards a quarter to a team that likes to run the ball- that's pretty good. If we do that to Auburn, I would be satisfied. They were efficient in the passing game- of course a chunk of that came off of a trick play and then they hurt us on crossing routes but we made some adjustments late and Fromm finished 0-3 and they weren't going to throw much late with a lead anyway. Unless Lane Kiffen is their OC.

The other side of that coin- the fact that we were able to run the ball on offense and average 4.8 YPC without much of a passing game against a defense that is pretty strong against the run is a good thing to me. I would suspect that after this three game stretch is over we're probably going to put up some pretty big rushing numbers similar to weeks 1-3. Of course that brings me back to my original point- we need to be able to attack deep a few times to help open up our running game. Even attempting to do so might open up things enough to be the difference in the game.

It's interesting to me look at the drive charts from this game. Our defense is much better than given credit for. We allowed 7 points off of a trick play, 14 points off of sustained drives- both of which were the first sustained drive to start the half. And yes, I know the trick play was technically the first drive of the half but since it was only one play we couldn't really tell what their tendencies were going to be so not too much to adjust to. The other 10 were on short fields due to turnovers including one where we forced a 49 yard FG attempt that they connected on. That tells me that we make pretty good adjustments. I think Georgia was conservative in large part because of the fear of us creating a turnover- which to me makes things easier to defend plus it also underscores how important it is for us to win the turnover battle.

vCash
    He's got no damn body to throw to and the OL can't block. Take away the 4th qtr and we didn't run the ball well.
    People keep blaming Fitz, but we got bigger problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He's got no damn body to throw to and the OL can't block. Take away the 4th qtr and we didn't run the ball well.
    ^^^^^This all day^^^^^ WR's are not only not talented, they are poor route runners.OL is soft and slow.... Thanks Hev and Gonzo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    ^^^^^This all day^^^^^ WR's are not only not talented, they are poor route runners.OL is soft and slow.... Thanks Hev and Gonzo.
    The issue Saturday was that the UGA DBs were allowed to drape all over our receivers. They constantly had their bodies on the backs of our guys with no calls - just like their OL was holding all night. I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss, but they were letting the UGA DBs mug our guys and we never took advantage of it on our side.

vCash
    He's got no damn body to throw to and the OL can't block.
    This in a nutshell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The issue Saturday was that the UGA DBs were allowed to drape all over our receivers. They constantly had their bodies on the backs of our guys with no calls - just like their OL was holding all night. I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss, but they were letting the UGA DBs mug our guys and we never took advantage of it on our side.
    That sounds like a well coached football team. Not sure why we wouldn't do the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    That sounds like a well coached football team. Not sure why we wouldn't do the same.
    I think that gets back to Mullen's risk averse style. He would rather not push the envelope and risk penalties. We played very tight with the DBs in the first game, then as soon as we got a PI in a critical moment in game 2, he backed off on the coverage and hasn't gone back to it since. Personally, I think if you are going to criticize Dan, that is the trait that needs the biggest adjustment.

vCash
    He has plenty of time if he makes better reads and doesn?t telegraph who to throw to. Fitz often doesn?t correctly anticipate who the defense is giving us to throw to, and is slow to decide who to throw to.

vCash
    Is Gabe Myles back this week?

Banned
    vCash
    No doubt. We have to have a down field passing attack to open the field up for Fitz. Those safety's for UGA were able to stay too close to the line and that has to change if we are going to have the season that we want to have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Unless something crazy and random that is unexpected- hey, it's sports- I think Fitz being able to make better reads and at least attempting to throw the ball downfield about 5-6 times could be the difference in us winning and losing. Everyone talks about Georgia's run defense but the fact of the matter is we had the SAME average YPC as Georgia did in that game despite Georgia having much higher profile running backs than MSU. Yes, we allowed 200 yards rushing but to me, if we're allowing 50 yards a quarter to a team that likes to run the ball- that's pretty good. If we do that to Auburn, I would be satisfied. They were efficient in the passing game- of course a chunk of that came off of a trick play and then they hurt us on crossing routes but we made some adjustments late and Fromm finished 0-3 and they weren't going to throw much late with a lead anyway. Unless Lane Kiffen is their OC.

The other side of that coin- the fact that we were able to run the ball on offense and average 4.8 YPC without much of a passing game against a defense that is pretty strong against the run is a good thing to me. I would suspect that after this three game stretch is over we're probably going to put up some pretty big rushing numbers similar to weeks 1-3. Of course that brings me back to my original point- we need to be able to attack deep a few times to help open up our running game. Even attempting to do so might open up things enough to be the difference in the game.

It's interesting to me look at the drive charts from this game. Our defense is much better than given credit for. We allowed 7 points off of a trick play, 14 points off of sustained drives- both of which were the first sustained drive to start the half. And yes, I know the trick play was technically the first drive of the half but since it was only one play we couldn't really tell what their tendencies were going to be so not too much to adjust to. The other 10 were on short fields due to turnovers including one where we forced a 49 yard FG attempt that they connected on. That tells me that we make pretty good adjustments. I think Georgia was conservative in large part because of the fear of us creating a turnover- which to me makes things easier to defend plus it also underscores how important it is for us to win the turnover battle.
    Fitz needs to run to the edges. First play vs TXAM & first play vs LSU is how we'll win. We didn't challenge UGAs outside LBs enough & they're better than auburns outside LBs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    He has plenty of time if he makes better reads and doesn?t telegraph who to throw to. Fitz often doesn?t correctly anticipate who the defense is giving us to throw to, and is slow to decide who to throw to.
    Yea, this wasn't the OLs problem against UGA they did a pretty decent job going up against one of the best DLs in the league. WR play was lacking and I honestly think we just came out flat. It won't surprise me if we look like a completely different team this weekend or get our skulls kicked in. Not really sure what to expect because we were so flat last weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Yea, this wasn't the OLs problem against UGA they did a pretty decent job going up against one of the best DLs in the league. WR play was lacking and I honestly think we just came out flat. It won't surprise me if we look like a completely different team this weekend or get our skulls kicked in. Not really sure what to expect because we were so flat last weekend.
    Me too. I don't know how to read this game. Either we look really good and it's a close game or we get punked again for a beat down.

vCash
    So our OL dominating LSU + not playing their best game against arguably the second best front 7 in the conference in UGA = can't block? Got it.

vCash
    No he doesn't. He had to dump the ball due to pressure constantly vs GA. Just because he didn't get sacked, doesn't mean the line is blocking well. He avoided the sack by dumping it off numerous times.

vCash
    No he doesn't. He had to dump the ball due to pressure constantly vs GA. Just because he didn't get sacked, doesn't mean the line is blocking well. He avoided the sack by dumping it off numerous times.
    Many of those dump-offs are because he doesn't make the right read and/or make a decision quick enough to get the ball to an open guy downfield. This is hard to pick up on TV because the camera isn't downfield before the pass. It is quite evident watching games in person. Happened all game long against LSU. Happened a lot last year too.

vCash
    Many of those dump-offs are because he doesn't make the right read and/or make a decision quick enough to get the ball to an open guy downfield. This is hard to pick up on TV because the camera isn't downfield before the pass. It is quite evident watching games in person. Happened all game long against LSU. Happened a lot last year too.
    You have to have at least some sort of time to make a quick decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Fitzgerald is the key to beating Auburn
    UHHHHH YA THINK?

Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    You have to have at least some sort of time to make a quick decision.
    Did I miss the part where he was snapping the ball and immediately getting hit?

vCash

This is about as clueless as you can get. The O line played well enough to win. Gave Fitz time in the pocket and consistently produced positive yardage in the ground game. We are never going to be able
    To run over the likes of Georgia, Auburn, and Bama being one dimensional. Fitz needs to improve in ten passing game and get the ball Out on time and or receivers need to do a better job getting open. Fitz didn't take the jump in passing I expected and he deserves some of the blame for the lack of a passing threat. The rest of the blame goes to subpar receivers. Very little to none of it should go on the o line.

vCash
    We averaged 4.8 YPC against the second best defense in the SEC with no outside threat. Come back to this thread when you know football.