Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Positives of Playing Auburn after UGA

vCash

Some Positives of Playing Auburn after UGA

Kind of a maroon colored glasses post, but hey, it can't all be sulking around here.

The positives are:

- I consider Auburn and UGA very similar teams and thus we kind of get a "do over". It's clear that we were not ready to play last weekend with a sub-par game plan and we probably are not going to become a dramatically better team in one week. Additionally, Auburn will probably just copy UGA's defensive gameplan. Why not? So... my thought is that it lacks logic for stubborn Dan Mullen to show up this week and we get a do over. In some way, big or small, that has to help. If we played Auburn in a month after blowing out BYU and UMass, it's likely that Mullen would've thought we improved as a team and therefore implemented the UGA and typical Bama game offensive game plan. It lacks logic that that would happen here.

- It may help us that we were blown out at UGA rather than losing a close one. It was a humiliating experience that allows the coaches to challenge the players. Also, it allows us to kind of slide beneath the radar. UGA felt threatened last week and played as such. Auburn sees us as typical Msu due to the UGA game and think they will also blow us out. That's a better spot for us to walk into.

I don't know if we have the WRs or QB accuracy to win this game but I do believe we'll play better than last week.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-28-2017 at 10:29 AM.

vCash
    I'm preparing for a barn burner. Bulldogs win, 3-2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    I'm preparing for a barn burner. Bulldogs win, 3-2.
    sweet sweet revenge

vCash
    For the last several years, you can always tell what type of game its going be for MSU within the first 5-10 minutes of the first quarter -- sometimes even earlier. Against LSU, it was evident very early on that we were going to play well. Against UGA, it didn't take very long to realize we were going to struggle... It's rare for us to both have a big comeback or blow a big lead.. I say all that just to say that I think we'll know the outcome of the game after the first 5-10 minutes. If we struggle to execute like last week, the outcome will be the same.

vCash
    Coming into this year, I was hoping for 8-4 and winning 1 of lsu, Georgia, and auburn; we've accomplished 1 of 3 and 8-4 is very much in sight. I'm happy with this start regardless of what happens Saturday night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Auburn and UGA very similar teams and thus we kind of get a "do over".
    It will be the perfect opportunity to execute last week's game plan at a higher level. ***

vCash
    I'll slam my head in the wall and throw a remote if that happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Coming into this year, I was hoping for 8-4 and winning 1 of lsu, Georgia, and auburn; we've accomplished 1 of 3 and 8-4 is very much in sight. I'm happy with this start regardless of what happens Saturday night.
    I'm with you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I say all that just to say that I think we'll know the outcome of the game after the first 5-10 minutes.
    Then again, ten minutes into the game we were down to LATech 9-0.

I had actually held out hope in the UGA game until the middle of the 3rd quarter. We were manhandled but thought they might come up with some adjustments to stop the bleeding.

This week I'd bet anything that we will play a better football game, but I think we start winning again after the bye. Hope I'm wrong.

Banned
    vCash
    No matter what is said, deep down, Auburn fans think they are going to roll us. It's hard for them not to, they just beat up an SEC team (albeit Mizzou), and we just got blown off the field by someone they consider their equal. It's at their place. They see the line. I hope this works to our advantage.

The only problem is it is their first home SEC game, so there will be some electricity I am afraid.

vCash
    For the last several years, you can always tell what type of game its going be for MSU within the first 5-10 minutes of the first quarter -- sometimes even earlier. Against LSU, it was evident very early on that we were going to play well. Against UGA, it didn't take very long to realize we were going to struggle... It's rare for us to both have a big comeback or blow a big lead.. I say all that just to say that I think we'll know the outcome of the game after the first 5-10 minutes. If we struggle to execute like last week, the outcome will be the same.
    I agree. If we get down at first, with the Auburn crowd loud, I don't expect us to win. Also, our defense certainly has to play better. Last week reminded me of Sirmon's defense last year.

vCash
    they have played Clemson and lost and then beat the Little Sister's of the Poor whoop te do. They better play us better than Mercer or we will whip that ass. They have a good defense but not better than Georgia . There OL gave up 11 sacks. Why does everyone love Auburn? They have a bunch of turnovers so far-they average 2 a game. Stop the run and run the ball--

vCash
    That's because we always do one of two things. We either come out and establish the run and dominate the game, or we come out trying to be cute and start slinging the ball all over the field. This is year 9 of that. One is usually good for us, one is usually bad.

vCash
    The biggest thing going for us (IMO) is Stidham is no Jake Fromm.

But, I'm not gonna get bent outta shape if we lose this game after playing much better than we did in Athens. Beating LSU has already surpassed what I thought would happen already.

vCash
    Same

Banned
    vCash
    Exactly. Play hard and get out with no injuries.

vCash
    If somehow we could win Saturday, 9-3 would be expected. Thats something this team should strive for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    If somehow we could win Saturday, 9-3 would be expected. Thats something this team should strive for.
    I think if we win, that 10-2 is possible. Who else would we lose to besides Bama?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    I think if we win, that 10-2 is possible. Who else would we lose to besides Bama?
    If we win, we will be a front runner for a NY6 game at this point. Still would have to win games, but the bowl games would likely look like this:

Alabama (Sugar Bowl - Playoff)
    UGA - Orange Bowl
    MSU - Peach Bowl

That would be my best guess anyway. If we lose, switch us and Auburn out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    That's because we always do one of two things. We either come out and establish the run and dominate the game, or we come out trying to be cute and start slinging the ball all over the field. This is year 9 of that. One is usually good for us, one is usually bad.
    That's not "being cute", it's being smart. If a team with front 7 like Auburn, Bama or UGA stack the like and dare us to throw, guess what, that's we have to do. Once we loosen up the linebackers, that's when you start establishing the run and thus the play action.

If we come out with a run up the gut for no gain, a read option for 3 yards and then an incomplete pass... we are in for a long, long evening. Mullen needs to get Fitz in a rhythm early, bubble screens, slants and TE flat throws keep us in 2nd and short or 3rd and manageable.