Thread: Hunter Renfroe set the Padres Rookie Homerun record for a season

vCash

Hunter Renfroe set the Padres Rookie Homerun record for a season

Even after he was sent down for a month to work on his "swing" (keep another year under team control). He still needs to cut down on his strikeouts but most power hitters need to do that. He needs to hang out with Joey Votto in the offseason.

vCash
    Hope he had fun bc he won't hit enough to stay in MLB -C34

vCash
    MLB don't care about k's anymore if you can hit 30-40 hrs a year which hunter will do. He also has a plus arm, plus defender and plus speed. He good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    MLB don't care about k's anymore if you can hit 30-40 hrs a year which hunter will do. He also has a plus arm, plus defender and plus speed. He good.
    Agree with everything you said, but from what i've read recently is that he's been a liability in the outfield? I haven't watched any games, but don't know how that's true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    Agree with everything you said, but from what i've read recently is that he's been a liability in the outfield? I haven't watched any games, but don't know how that's true.
    He's always been considered a plus defender but I suppose he could still be adjusting to that cavern they play at in San Diego. I'll have to check on that. I know the MLB network people have bragged on his range and arm.

vCash
    He has made 9 errors this year which is a lot but most are on throws. He has 9 assists which is good and his range factor is league average. So kind of a mixed bag.

vCash
    Well they don’t care about Ks if you bring a 10+% BB rate with it so your OBP is .350+. If he can hit .250-.260 with an OBP north of .350, he’ll have a long career. If he hits .230 with a sub-.300 OBP, he’ll have a few years but when it comes time for arbitration and/or free agency, he’ll have trouble finding and keeping a job.

A guy like mark Reynolds does walk 10+% of the time and has similar contact issues and power as Renfroe and Reynolds has played for 6 teams in the last 6 seasons since reaching free agency. Chris Carter is another one with a 10+% BB rate, lots of power, and lots of Ks and similarly he hasn’t been able to find a long term gig since hitting free agency. Renfroe will get his chance to improve but teams only “don’t care about Ks” is a bit of bullshit. They don’t care to an extent if your BB rate is high enough. But it’s also shown that big power/big K guys don’t age well, because as that bar speed slows down around 30, they have a hard time maintaining value because they have to guess even more at pitches. Re from needs to get the K rate under 20% and the BB rate up to about 10% if he wants to cash in on that post-team control contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Well they don’t care about Ks if you bring a 10+% BB rate with it so your OBP is .350+. If he can hit .250-.260 with an OBP north of .350, he’ll have a long career. If he hits .230 with a sub-.300 OBP, he’ll have a few years but when it comes time for arbitration and/or free agency, he’ll have trouble finding and keeping a job.

A guy like mark Reynolds does walk 10+% of the time and has similar contact issues and power as Renfroe and Reynolds has played for 6 teams in the last 6 seasons since reaching free agency. Chris Carter is another one with a 10+% BB rate, lots of power, and lots of Ks and similarly he hasn’t been able to find a long term gig since hitting free agency. Renfroe will get his chance to improve but teams only “don’t care about Ks” is a bit of bullshit. They don’t care to an extent if your BB rate is high enough. But it’s also shown that big power/big K guys don’t age well, because as that bar speed slows down around 30, they have a hard time maintaining value because they have to guess even more at pitches. Re from needs to get the K rate under 20% and the BB rate up to about 10% if he wants to cash in on that post-team control contract.
    I agree I'm basing it on the fact I believe hunter will improve and also he has more to offer than just a power bat. Heck bj upton has made millions and stuck around forever and he's not good at anything but not hustling lol

vCash
    I agree I'm basing it on the fact I believe hunter will improve and also he has more to offer than just a power bat. Heck bj upton has made millions and stuck around forever and he's not good at anything but not hustling lol
    Truth. BJ Upton seems to keep a job based on people confusing him for his younger brother.

vCash
    Bj upton has bounced team to team and not signed a big contract since his first free agency deal with the braves. He was also a 30-30 type guy before that deal with a BB rate around 10% and a history of being one of the better defensive OF at the time. So it made his K rate and .240-250 avg appear to be tolerable.

Also, a dumb signing in 2012 doesn’t really mean that everyone in 2022 (or whenever renfroe his free agency) will still be making the same dumb signings. I wouldn’t rely on upton’s contract to predict other players’ signings.
    Last edited by dawgs; 09-27-2017 at 03:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Bj upton has bounced team to team and not signed a big contract since his first free agency deal with the braves. He was also a 30-30 type guy before that deal with a BB rate around 10% and a history of being one of the better defensive OF at the time. So it made his K rate and .240-250 avg appear to be tolerable.

Also, a dumb signing in 2012 doesn’t really mean that everyone in 2022 (or whenever renfroe his free agency) will still be making the same dumb signings. I wouldn’t rely on upton’s contract to predict other players’ signings.
    I guess I should've included these**** when talking about bj

vCash
    The point I'm really trying to make is if you can hit 25-30 hrs a year even with high k totals and low bb totals. You can stick around a long time even if you bounce around and make a boatload of money. May not be a hall of farmer but you will be wealthy. Lots of those guys walking around. I hope Hunter becomes a complete player and plays a long time.

vCash
    I think with all of this StatCast stuff that's out there baseball is starting to enter a new era where they are finally measuring bat speed a lot more than they used to and then there's the launch angle term that I have heard everyday this season. I think it's cool and it's going to take the game up a level.

My point is I think we're going to see better offensive play because of it. And probably better baserunning too. Because now coaches at the MLB can quantify things now with numbers and that's inevitably going to trickle down- I know you can get those bat speed trackers already even if you are an average Joe and it can put your totals into a SmartPhone.

vCash
    The HR Renfroe hit last night was awesome. 30 ft line drive dead cf pitch was low and outside. Dude didn't look like he swung hard but obviously his bat speed is off the chart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hope he had fun bc he won't hit enough to stay in MLB -C34
    still hasnt played a full season of MLB....so get off my nuts
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    still hasnt played a full season of MLB....so get off my nuts
    Only because of team control bullshit. Other guys on the roster with worse numbers while he was sent down for a month. He also dominated AAA while he was there. The only reason he isn't going to play a "full" season is because of the bullshit system baseball has.