Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Four College Basketball Coaches Arrested

vCash
    Basketball recruiting has been like this for years... Will be interesting to see what this does to the college game. I would think if they knocked out the 1 and done rule it would take care of a lot of this and go back to letting kids go out of high school if they want to take the risk.

vCash
    Thus my comment about a certain Jackson, MS AAU coach who coordinates such transfers.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    OM is just being OM. I doubt Auburn is butt hurt they've recruited just as well or better than we have. Arkansas & MSU hasn't battled for hardly any kids against each other until Reggie Perry. They're salty about losing him but hell I would be too if we lost a Top 15 player.
    I am just saying what I have seen posted repeatedly from fans of these three schools. MSU still has bad blood with Auburn from Camgate. Arkansas is very butthurt about Perry and we know why OM wants to sling mud on us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Basketball recruiting has been like this for years... Will be interesting to see what this does to the college game. I would think if they knocked out the 1 and done rule it would take care of a lot of this and go back to letting kids go out of high school if they want to take the risk.
    The NFL and NBA should reach an agreement with the NCAA similar to college baseball and be done with it. If the free market says a kid is worth $150,000 out of high school, let the kid sign a pro contract and live his dream. I wish the NFL would set up a minor league and develop there. It wouldn't bother me at all if NCAA football was made up of a bunch of "1& 2 stars." I'd enjoy it if it is still MSU vs our traditional opponents.

Get the corruption out of college athletics as much as possible and lets make it as close as truely amateur as we can.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 09-27-2017 at 09:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Get the corruption out of college athletics as much as possible and lets make it as close as truely amateur as we can.
    The only real way to do that would be to make the punishment for coaches so high that they would be absolutely scared to death to get caught. Jail time. The length of time mentioned for Chuck Person would do the trick. 80 years. That's really the only way.

For a coach who just gets a show cause, think about it. He is now rich and gets to retire going about his merry way. That's not scary. As a matter of fact, sign me up. I'll take Kevin Sumlin's job right now. (I'm not saying he will get any sanctions- just that he will get fired.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    They will. This is the tip of the iceberg so to speak. I think the sacrificial lambs for the investigation so far will be Pitino and Pearl. Person is facing 80 years in charges and he will spill his guts to cut his time down. I think what they have found out and can prove (with taped video and audio of these assistant coaches) could land Auburn and Louisville the death penalty. Now will the NCAA go that far? Who knows? But you better believe Duke and Kentucky are funneled by Nike. Kansas is funneled by Adidas. I really don?t understand why they are deciding to crack down on this now. This has been going on for over a decade plus. Shit, this has been going on since AAU started.
    It?s being cracked down on now because a financial adviser got popped for fraud in 2015 and started squealing, that?s why it?s happening now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDAWGFAN View Post
    The only real way to do that would be to make the punishment for coaches so high that they would be absolutely scared to death to get caught. Jail time. The length of time mentioned for Chuck Person would do the trick. 80 years. That's really the only way.

For a coach who just gets a show cause, think about it. He is now rich and gets to retire going about his merry way. That's not scary. As a matter of fact, sign me up. I'll take Kevin Sumlin's job right now. (I'm not saying he will get any sanctions- just that he will get fired.)
    Only problem is I think a lot (most?) people in general are for less jail time for non-violent offenders and would prefer that their punishment be a short or no prison time with a hefty fine and a convicted felon label around the rest of their lives.

As much as cheating in college sports sucks, I don’t know if I’d wanna make NCAA violations illegal either. If laws are broken in the process of cheating, the they should be prosecuted, but personally I think there’s better ways to fix the system than making NCAA rules a basis for actual laws with jail time and fines.
    Last edited by dawgs; 09-27-2017 at 10:00 AM.

vCash
    Where have our most recent transfers gone to?

Bigger name Adidas Basketball schools.

This leads me to believe that we might be actually doing things the right way. Might seem naive, but why wouldn't they just stay with us if they were getting a similar deal and wouldn't have to sit out a year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    No it's not. There was evidence out the wazoo for what was happening at Ole Miss. There is no evidence at all, not even rumor, tying us to this.
    As I said, it's an opinion. The guy didn't accuse State. Hell, I thought some of the same myself, but that too is just thinking
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    An Alabama "basketball staffer" has resigned after the start of an internal investigation. Looks like the net is spreading larger. As far as I know, the FBI hasn't been to Tuscaloosa.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDawgs View Post
    Where have our most recent transfers gone to?

Bigger name Adidas Basketball schools.

This leads me to believe that we might be actually doing things the right way. Might seem naive, but why wouldn't they just stay with us if they were getting a similar deal and wouldn't have to sit out a year?
    Who besides Newman went to an Adidas school? Kegler went to Baylor, a Nike school.
    No Signature

vCash
    This is a good tweet that summarizes the investigation so far:

https://twitter.com/rosenberg_pat/st...13127532810240

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Who besides Newman went to an Adidas school? Kegler went to Baylor, a Nike school.
    Omhar Carter. is dirty. So is Scott Drew.
    Last edited by MarketingBully; 09-27-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Omhar Conner is dirty. So is Scott Drew.
    haha You mean "Carter"
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    haha You mean "Carter"
    Yeah, I corrected it.

vCash
    I recommend anyone who has time to listen to Gary Parrish’s and Matt Norlander’s podcast on the scandal. It’s really good. Link below:

https://twitter.com/garyparrishcbs/s...38699818110978

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    It?s being cracked down on now because a financial adviser got popped for fraud in 2015 and started squealing, that?s why it?s happening now.

Here's the story on that. The first article is the narrative basically of the case. The second talks about the plea deal.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rds-corruption

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/key-...t-adviser.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Read the book Wise Guy. It's the book that The movie Goodfellas is based on. The way the investigation that eventually brought that whole crew down started isn't really mentioned in the movie. It started when a kid that happened to be the son of a family friend of Henry Hill got busted in a small time unrelated drug deal. He knew enough to start the ball rolling for the cops. They got enough on Hill as a result of what the kid told them to have an iron clad case that carried enough hard time that Hill's buddies were afraid he would rat them out. Hill got word that they were going to whack him so he DID rat them out. This is starting to sound like that, minus the mob connections (at least so far, although given the mob's historic interest in college basketball it wouldn't surprise me if they appeared in it this before it is over).
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 09-28-2017 at 08:37 AM.