Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitz: ?If anything, from this game we take it as a reality check.?

vCash

Fitz: ?If anything, from this game we take it as a reality check.?

http://mississippistate.247sports.co...burn-107971216

"If anything, from this game we take it as a reality check," Fitzgerald said. "I feel like we were lackadaisical at times and weren't mentally locked in at practice. That's going to change. We're going to get locked in and focused like we did LSU week."

The LSU high is over. We came crashing down. It's time to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and go beat the shit outta Auburn.

vCash
    I tried to overlook it at the time, but the truth is that it is extremely difficult to get up for a road game following a big home win. I thought the way we beat LSU would reduce some of the emotion that usually accompanies a win like that, but perhaps not. You always hope the team doesn't lose focus before a big game like that, and it's a concerning sign if it's true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I tried to overlook it at the time, but the truth is that it is extremely difficult to get up for a road game following a big home win. I thought the way we beat LSU would reduce some of the emotion that usually accompanies a win like that, but perhaps not. You always hope the team doesn't lose focus before a big game like that, and it's a concerning sign if it's true.
    So, Georgia on upset alert? I really doubt it with the way Tennessee has been playing, but I do think it's pretty close

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So, Georgia on upset alert? I really doubt it with the way Tennessee has been playing, but I do think it's pretty close
    I suspect that Tennessee was overlooking Mass and was looking forward to Georgia, but they darn near got beat. That would have been like us losing to Maine a few years ago. But I don't think they're very good ... Georgia should win easily. But they may be resting on their laurels after upsetting us. **

vCash
    I said last week that was my number one key to the game. It's human nature. We had Lsu game circled for 6 months.

vCash
    No excuse to not be completely focused for Auburn. Bye week after that then face a pretty bad BYU team. If the offense comes out flat again Mullen deserves a lot of flak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    No excuse to not be completely focused for Auburn. Bye week after that then face a pretty bad BYU team. If the offense comes out flat again Mullen deserves a lot of flak.
    Based on this article I expect a different team playing in Jordan-Hare Saturday night. I'm not saying we win but we better come out with our hair on fire.

vCash
    I think if anything UGA showed the blueprint on how to beat Mullen. We don't have a WR that can win battles down the field. If you can just put corners out there and let a safety come up in the box then it makes it a lot harder to run. Fitz hasn't proven he can beat anyone throwing. Fromm caused us to respect the pass but Fitz didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I think if anything UGA showed the blueprint on how to beat Mullen. We don't have a WR that can win battles down the field. If you can just put corners out there and let a safety come up in the box then it makes it a lot harder to run. Fitz hasn't proven he can beat anyone throwing. Fromm caused us to respect the pass but Fitz didn't.
    Kirby has been showing that blueprint for the last 8 times he's played a Mullen offense. Rewatching the game, it was textbook Alabama defense and a poor MSU showing. Front 7 too good to run on straight up so Mullen wants to pass to loosen it up... and if that doesn't work (esp '15 & '16 Bama & '17 UGA) our high powered offense is stymied. Dak loosened it up in the 2nd half of 2014 and we were competitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    "We don't have a wide receiver that can win battles down the field" maybe why "Fitz hasn't proven he can beat anyone throwing.", but that's just one thought. I thought Fitz threw the ball pretty decent overall. Sure he missed a few reads, but who wouldn't in his situation. He threw plenty catchable balls that weren't for whatever reason. A few drops, but mostly blanketed receivers. DB's hanging on WR's with one hand and the other between the receiver's arms, blatant PI against Gray and blatant PI against Carr in the end zone that neither were called.

Fromm completed his first pass on a trick play that worked very well against us. He completed less than ten passes. I remember against La. Tech at one point Fitz completed 9 passes in a row. Can't do that if he can't pass the ball. Against elite defenses, how is he to complete passes downfield if "we don't have a WR that can win battles down the field"? I think we really need Myles back, and Carr, Mitchell and/or Couch to get more than 2 targets. Again, against elite DB's we don't have any WR's to really compete for catches right now. I did see Fitz fit some balls in some pretty tight places, along with a few off the mark completely. There were quite a few passes that would've been caught by Ross though.

We're gonna get most of our receiving production out of the backfield and slot this year, we simply don't have the guys outside we need right now to compete against elite DB's.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Kirby has been showing that blueprint for the last 8 times he's played a Mullen offense. Rewatching the game, it was textbook Alabama defense and a poor MSU showing. Front 7 too good to run on straight up so Mullen wants to pass to loosen it up... and if that doesn't work (esp '15 & '16 Bama & '17 UGA) our high powered offense is stymied. Dak loosened it up in the 2nd half of 2014 and we were competitive.
    That 2nd half against Bama in 2014 is the only time we've had an offense work well against an elite team that I remember. Hope Mullen will study that half, and figure out what changed.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Based on this article I expect a different team playing in Jordan-Hare Saturday night. I'm not saying we win but we better come out with our hair on fire.
    I am too. The entire team will look quicker and more crisp against Auburn I think. Hope I'm right. That would be a really good win. We'll see how they respond.

vCash
    I don't know if we have the horses to beat Auburn, but I do expect us to play better than we did at UGA

vCash
    I guarantee one thing. Knowing how Grantham coaches if there's not more fire on Saturday we will be seeing new players on the field.

vCash
    We've got to throw to our TE's more, like we did against LSU and La Tech. It's really our only option going ahead.

vCash
    Being quite honest we really don't have a team that knows how to handle a huge win like we got against LSU. In some ways we would have been better off if we had won a nailbiter against LSU so we wouldn't have gotten so full of ourselves. Now saying that, Georgia is just a better team than us right now but it was pretty obvious from our energy level that we were not focused for the game.

vCash
    I just don't see a win at Aub. I hope I'm wrong. Aub is just as fast and physical on Defense as UGA.

And if Tolando Cleveland is on the field at corner it's over early. Stidham has been less than stellar, but he's ready to exploit our secondary after looking at film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseBrown View Post
    That 2nd half against Bama in 2014 is the only time we've had an offense work well against an elite team that I remember. Hope Mullen will study that half, and figure out what changed.
    What changed is no De'Runnya Wilson. We have no receivers that can win the 50/50 balls. No receivers that can get separation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    What changed is no De'Runnya Wilson. We have no receivers that can win the 50/50 balls. No receivers that can get separation.
    If I'm Dan Mullen I'm telling Fitz that Jordan Thomas is our go to guy. He's the closest thing we've got to Bear right now. And when Gabe Myles comes back, I'd move Gray to the slot. Those are the best things we can do to help Fitz and our passing game out.

X- Thomas
    Slot- Gray
    H-Back/TE- Green
    Z- Myles

If Myles is healthy that's our best group of receivers.

vCash
    Listened to Will Sammon on OOB FB page last night and he echoed pretty much everything in the article. He talked to several players that thought they were something special after trouncing LSU and decided to mentally take the week off from practice. He also said Grantham was pissed by his defense's performance. He expects us to look much better vs Auburn.