Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "We're A Young Football Team"

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    When interviewed at the half about the flea flicker pass for the TD on the first play, Mullen said we have young players and that was the reason we got lost in coverage.
    Georgia just punked us on that play. It was the equivalent of going onside kick in the Super Bowl like the Saints did. Nobody was expecting it and they probably practiced it for awhile. Smart & UGA have history with Grantham. Nothing you can do about that play. They shoulda asked Mullen why he tried to quick snap on 3rd and goal inside the ten yard line instead of attempting a legit play for a TD. Settling for 3 there and then giving up a TD to start the 2nd half ended our chances completely. If we win out though we will win the West and be in the SECCG vs UGA with a chance to be in the playoff. We can do that if Mullen decides to be ultra aggressive in big games from here out. We have enough talent on this team. I truly believe that. It's on Mullen to rise to his best play calling self. We haven't seen that from him once. From the guy that says he wants his QBs to be perfect and says Dak is far from that still. Well Dan is way farther from perfect with his play calling and mindset during big games than Dak is during his. Put your money where your mouth is Dan. You expect perfection well lead by example and be perfect yourself first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Georgia just punked us on that play. It was the equivalent of going onside kick in the Super Bowl like the Saints did. Nobody was expecting it and they probably practiced it for awhile. Smart & UGA have history with Grantham. Nothing you can do about that play. They shoulda asked Mullen why he tried to quick snap on 3rd and goal inside the ten yard line instead of attempting a legit play for a TD. Settling for 3 there and then giving up a TD to start the 2nd half ended our chances completely. If we win out though we will win the West and be in the SECCG vs UGA with a chance to be in the playoff. We can do that if Mullen decides to be ultra aggressive in big games from here out. We have enough talent on this team. I truly believe that. It's on Mullen to rise to his best play calling self. We haven't seen that from him once. From the guy that says he wants his QBs to be perfect and says Dak is far from that still. Well Dan is way farther from perfect with his play calling and mindset during big games than Dak is during his. Put your money where your mouth is Dan. You expect perfection well lead by example and be perfect yourself first.
    Dan ain't beating Saban.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Dan ain't beating Saban.
    Unfortunately, that's a fact. 9 years same stuff different day.
    "until the next time you beat a frat guy unconscious, get stoned and think you're Peter Pan"

vCash
    Good post, but no chance we beat Bama. At this point, I honestly think you could give Saban USM's team the Monday before we play them, and he'd beat Mullen's ass with the Buzzard players

vCash
    Excellent post again. Who stole your password?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Good post, but no chance we beat Bama. At this point, I honestly think you could give Saban USM's team the Monday before we play them, and he'd beat Mullen's ass with the Buzzard players
    Shit we could be beating USM 14-0 after the 1st quarter and you could sub in Saban as their coach without him knowing a single player's name and he'd win the game 38-28 with a kneel down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Dan ain't beating Saban.
    Ever

vCash
    Actually a lot of our offensive problems were caused by a still developing Nick Fitzgerald. He played absolutely poorly on Saturday and made very bad decisions/reads. As good as he was against LSU, he was equally bad at Georgia. Dan?s offense revolves around the decision making of the QB. Did you know that our OL didn?t give up a single sack nor did they give up a hurry. The best part about that game is it is over and it gave Fitz more experience against that defense. I think Nick will continue to improve and get better in the passing game. If you notice when KT was in the game, we moved the ball really well. UGA still had their first stringers in against KT as they didn?t want to give up the TD. Mullen hadn?t changed his playcalling. KT was making the right reads. In order to have a chance on Saturday, we needed Fitz to give us his A game. Instead, he gave us his D game. That won?t win many road games if any. We need Fitz to give us his A game this weekend to have a chance at Auburn. I think he will bring it this weekend. I just thought he put too much pressure on himself and made the Georgia game too big.

vCash
    If Dan swapped rosters in July with BAMA, Saban would still kick our @ss. That's how big of a difference it is between the guys in the headsets and Saban doesn't even wear one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Actually a lot of our offensive problems were caused by a still developing Nick Fitzgerald. He played absolutely poorly on Saturday and made very bad decisions/reads. As good as he was against LSU, he was equally bad at Georgia. Dan?s offense revolves around the decision making of the QB. Did you know that our OL didn?t give up a single sack nor did they give up a hurry. The best part about that game is it is over and it gave Fitz more experience against that defense. I think Nick will continue to improve and get better in the passing game. If you notice when KT was in the game, we moved the ball really well. UGA still had their first stringers in against KT as they didn?t want to give up the TD. Mullen hadn?t changed his playcalling. KT was making the right reads. In order to have a chance on Saturday, we needed Fitz to give us his A game. Instead, he gave us his D game. That won?t win many road games if any. We need Fitz to give us his A game this weekend to have a chance at Auburn. I think he will bring it this weekend. I just thought he put too much pressure on himself and made the Georgia game too big.
    Key has the advantage of coming from a similar offense instead of from a wishbone/Georgia Tech offense. I think he's going to be really good when his time comes.

vCash
    Go back and watch the LSU game and tell me how play calling was completely different.... Again for those of you melting, it is about our offense executing and they didn't against UGA. Where I do fault Dan is in the fact that we don't have a single true physical threat at WR that demands respect and we don't have a true deep threat or a QB that can get the ball out there consistently and loosen defenses up. Right now the only way we are hitting big plays in the passing game is off pa and that doesn't work when you aren't running the ball consistently.

I think we are going to see this with this team. Some games we will look terrific this year and execute and win and others we will be pretty bad. I do think we win 8 this year and as we have all talked about have a shot at a great season next year. Most everyone on the board said if we take 1 in this 3 game stretch that would be great and now yall are melting about how bad Dan is when just last week yall were starting Mullen leaving threads. It blows my mind on how yall can be so up and down from week to week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Go back and watch the LSU game and tell me how play calling was completely different.... Again for those of you melting, it is about our offense executing and they didn't against UGA. Where I do fault Dan is in the fact that we don't have a single true physical threat at WR that demands respect and we don't have a true deep threat or a QB that can get the ball out there consistently and loosen defenses up. Right now the only way we are hitting big plays in the passing game is off pa and that doesn't work when you aren't running the ball consistently.

I think we are going to see this with this team. Some games we will look terrific this year and execute and win and others we will be pretty bad. I do think we win 8 this year and as we have all talked about have a shot at a great season next year. Most everyone on the board said if we take 1 in this 3 game stretch that would be great and now yall are melting about how bad Dan is when just last week yall were starting Mullen leaving threads. It blows my mind on how yall can be so up and down from week to week.
    <Slow Clap>

Rep given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyper View Post
    Are we young?

Offense:

QB- 4th year player
    TB- 4th year player
    WR- 5th year player
    WR- 3rd year player
    TE- 4th year player
    LT- 5th year player
    C- 4th year player
    LG- 3rd year
    RG- 4th year player

Secondary? 5th year player, 4th year player, 4th year player, 3rd year player
    ILB's? 5th year player and 3rd year player
    OLB's? 4th year player and a 3rd year player
    DL??? only plenty of experience there also

We are not young at all. It's a complete lie

We are young in the sense that we have few seniors and lose nothing after this season. Unfortunately we have the situation, that seems to keep occurring, where we are going to actually be better off when some of them are gone.

I get that you want to do right by the guys in your program, you want to reward the seniors and the work they've put in. And you don't want to throw away any opportunity of seeing the NFL that they could earn. But at some point, you have to face the hard fact that some guys aren't going to make that breakout season, everyone isn't a Preston Smith. We have to start playing the best players and stop riding seniority

- Tolando Cleveland is not good, he will not play in the NFL. He may be a great guy but it's time to cut your losses and play an underclass man.
    - Brandon Holloway was not going to make it to the league. He was a great athlete and had a dynamic skill set, but that skill set didn't translate to the highest level of football. It was past time to plug in Aeris and play the better back.
    - Shump was not going to make it as a RB. We did the worst possible thing we could do for his career. He should have been moved to strong safety or OLB as a sophomore.
    - Gabe Myles is not going to make a magical leap and become a great WR. He has had stone hands for 4 years. I absolutely believe he made dramatic improvements in the offseason, unfortunately he waited far too long to get that desperation. We are effectively starting 3 slot WR's, it's time to replace one of these roles with a downfield threat.

This stuff happens every year. We have to learn how to objectively look at the situation and make the best decision for the team. I don't know if it's the emotional connection to the players or what but something is hampering the ability to make objective roster decisions. No other team can look at their starters on an annual basis and say "yeah we will be better when this guy graduates".

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post

If every time we played a tough ranked opponent our defense was doing horrible we would blast the DC and you know this. Well every time we play a tough ranked opponent our offense has been doing horrible so it is time for our OC to get blasted. Dan's timid mindset and play calling against tough ranked teams sucks. Period. LSU has been exposed as not being a good team.

vCash
    The issue with this team is that Fitzgerald is still limited in what he can do in the passing game, and on top of that we have very small WRs.

Mullen seems to believe that we have to establish the run first before we can open up the offense, and if we don't establish the run we continue to be ultra-conservative. That is extremely frustrating, and I definitely think it hurts us in the biggest games. But ultimately our primary issue is that we just don't have a passing game that can beat you.

vCash
    If every time we played a tough ranked opponent our defense was doing horrible we would blast the DC and you know this. Well every time we play a tough ranked opponent our offense has been doing horrible so it is time for our OC to get blasted. Dan's timid mindset and play calling against tough ranked teams sucks. Period. LSU has been exposed as not being a good team.
    Georgia is just a better team, if we played them 10 times I'm not sure we could win any. We are a better team than Lsu, we would beat them more than they could beat us. We have a decent team, we don't have a game changer on offense, you say Dan called a bad game, what the hell would you do to make a difference in your play calling? We ain't got Jerry Rice at wide receiver nor do we have Walter Payton at running back.

Funny, before the season predictions were anywhere from 5 to 8 wins as a majority on ED, we can still have a good season and all isn't all lost. We are in the middle of the pack and maybe top 5 team in the Sec, I say that is pretty good,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    We are young in the sense that we have few seniors and lose nothing after this season. Unfortunately we have the situation, that seems to keep occurring, where we are going to actually be better off when some of them are gone.

I get that you want to do right by the guys in your program, you want to reward the seniors and the work they've put in. And you don't want to throw away any opportunity of seeing the NFL that they could earn. But at some point, you have to face the hard fact that some guys aren't going to make that breakout season, everyone isn't a Preston Smith. We have to start playing the best players and stop riding seniority

- Tolando Cleveland is not good, he will not play in the NFL. He may be a great guy but it's time to cut your losses and play an underclass man.
    - Brandon Holloway was not going to make it to the league. He was a great athlete and had a dynamic skill set, but that skill set didn't translate to the highest level of football. It was past time to plug in Aeris and play the better back.
    - Shump was not going to make it as a RB. We did the worst possible thing we could do for his career. He should have been moved to strong safety or OLB as a sophomore.
    - Gabe Myles is not going to make a magical leap and become a great WR. He has had stone hands for 4 years. I absolutely believe he made dramatic improvements in the offseason, unfortunately he waited far too long to get that desperation. We are effectively starting 3 slot WR's, it's time to replace one of these roles with a downfield threat.

This stuff happens every year. We have to learn how to objectively look at the situation and make the best decision for the team. I don't know if it's the emotional connection to the players or what but something is hampering the ability to make objective roster decisions. No other team can look at their starters on an annual basis and say "yeah we will be better when this guy graduates".
    Add in Kivon Coman, Zach Jackson, Torrey Dale, and Rufus Warren.

vCash
    I agree with Todd. WHO ARE YOU? How did you steal Dawg61's password??

ETA: Very good post tho.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 09-25-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Georgia is just a better team, if we played them 10 times I'm not sure we could win any. you say Dan called a bad game, what the hell would you do to make a difference in your play calling?
    I wouldn't approach the game and call it exactly like I have in my previous 35 games vs ranked opponents when my record is 3-32 in those games for starters. Dan keeps trying to pound a square into a circle. He is extremely stubborn with everything even when it is proven not to work over and over and over again. Why can he not see this about himself? Oh cause he's ****ing stubborn about that too. Sure we were at a disadvantage at WR but we had a huge advantage at TE and we are very deep there so I'd probably try to throw to my TE's more than never. I'd also throw the ball over the middle of the field more than never. Ever heard of a quick slant Dan? Every throw we tried that was beyond ten yards was to a very tight window on the sidelines that has about a 5% chance of working. I'd stop throwing those type of passes when the UGA DBs were owning our WRs. Hugh Freeze and Samford can score TDs on Georgia. Dan Mullen can't.

vCash
    I wouldn't approach the game and call it exactly like I have in my previous 35 games vs ranked opponents when my record is 3-32 in those games for starters. Dan keeps trying to pound a square into a circle. He is extremely stubborn with everything even when it is proven not to work over and over and over again. Why can he not see this about himself? Oh cause he's ****ing stubborn about that too. Sure we were at a disadvantage at WR but we had a huge advantage at TE and we are very deep there so I'd probably try to throw to my TE's more than never. I'd also throw the ball over the middle of the field more than never. Ever heard of a quick slant Dan? Every throw we tried that was beyond ten yards was to a very tight window on the sidelines that has about a 5% chance of working. I'd stop throwing those type of passes when the UGA DBs were owning our WRs. Hugh Freeze and Samford can score TDs on Georgia. Dan Mullen can't.
    You made me laugh, Hugh Freeze and Samford, oh we ain't worthy. Georgia's DB's were all over our TE's and wide outs, if one can't separate then one can't make plays.

Nothing would have made a difference Saturday about the outcome, you say we swap coaches and watch us score, Hugh Freeze approves your message.

So you aren't happy with Dan but yet you know the answers, funny indeed, after all we have moved up from the past and hopefully one day we will be like Bama.

I think Dan has done a very good job, not sure who we can get to put us in the upper echelon in the Sec, Who you got 61?