Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I agree with Rick Stansbury on Mullen's job tonight, & in prior Big games...

vCash
    Why Hevesy and Gonzales is employed by an SEC school is one of life's biggest mysteries...

vCash
    So now checking down to an open receiver is bad. *****. Shaking my head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    So now checking down to an open receiver is bad. *****. Shaking my head.
    It's complicated *

No, if you truthfully believe you can execute 10 play drives or your WRs and get yards after the catch against superior competition
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-24-2017 at 08:46 AM.

vCash
    For those of you that recorded the game, go back and watch. Every MSU pass plays longer than 8 yards, the Georgia DB had a arm on or around the targeted receiver. In my book this is pass interference. This didn't cost us the game, but it sure din't help our cause.
    Cdawg, Gun and Todd, excellent posts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    For those of you that recorded the game, go back and watch. Every MSU pass plays longer than 8 yards, the Georgia DB had a arm on or around the targeted receiver. In my book this is pass interference. This didn't cost us the game, but it sure din't help our cause.
    Georgia does what bama does in pass defense... mug em every play and the ref lets you get away with murder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It's complicated *

No, if you truthfully believe you can execute 10 play drives or your WRs and get yards after the catch against superior competition
    So your solution is to force it deep to a receiver that is covered with a QB that is still not very accurate at times? If you are passing the solution is ALWAYS to throw to an open man and not to one that isn't. That is fundamental football.

I see offense like this: If you are good enough to physically dominate your opponent you do it. If you aren't then you have to take what the defense gives you and hope that that's enough. When your opponent can physically dominate you, nothing much is going to work. That's unfortunately the situation we found ourselves in last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    So your solution is to force it deep to a receiver that is covered with a QB that is still not very accurate at times? If you are passing the solution is ALWAYS to throw to an open man and not to one that isn't. That is fundamental football.

I see offense like this: If you are good enough to physically dominate your opponent you do it. If you aren't then you have to take what the defense gives you and hope that that's enough. When your opponent can physically dominate you, nothing much is going to work. That's unfortunately the situation we found ourselves in last night.
    Anybody that read this post, got dumber.

vCash
    One coach attacked and played to win

One coach played it safe and just tried to not make mistakes

It's pretty simple
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Anybody that read this post, got dumber.
    It's easy to over think football, thanks for getting the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

It's pretty simple
    So 9 years in, how do we get Coach Zhukov, whose battle plan typically involves attempting to over run the opposition with bland tactics, to put a little Blitzkreig into his tactics and try to surprise someone?

vCash
    So 9 years in, how do we get Coach Zhukov, whose battle plan typically involves attempting to over run the opposition with bland tactics, to put a little Blitzkreig into his tactics and try to surprise someone?
    Leopard's usually dont change their spots. 9 years in- we pretty much know what we are going to get.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Hahahaha! So now "checkdown" is the new buzzword. Oh boy, I knew the meltdown would be epic...

Maybe it's time for Cohen and Keenum to have on of those secret talks with Mullen.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 09-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Ole Miss screwed us. They bought every major playmaker at the WR position in the state over the last 5 years. We have no one who can change a game one on one at the WR position and it cost us big time in big games. We are not built to play catch up football when other teams can go man to man and shut our attack down. Having said that, we were beaten soundly on both lines tonight. Nothing else mattered.
    Stop blaming OM for everything. Its one loss on the road to a good team. It will be ok.

vCash
    Leopard's usually dont change their spots. 9 years in- we pretty much know what we are going to get.
    Oh boy... look has come out of retirement to gloat over a loss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Great post.

Do you realize that Georgia could do no wrong last night, yet they ran a flea flicker, and several different pass plays with a FRESHMAN QB. Meanwhile, we didn't even run a damn counter play, much less a reverse or trick play to try to generate something...anything...a pulse! It's like Dan doesn't even try to create offense....it's like he says, "well we're either going to beat them with our base packages, or we're not". And that's it. No adjustments, no creativity, not even desperation plays after all these beat downs...it's sickening. Hell I'd rather watch a 5 wide, Hail Mary for 4 straight plays down by 30 than to be drinking in my recliner and telling my buddies "here comes a Fitz run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and 2", and guessing right ALL DAMN NIGHT. I seriously predicted 50% of the play calls last night from my recliner with a glass of bourbon in my hand!!!....if people like us can do that, do you think Kirby Smart has an ounce of trouble defending it or guessing it? Just awful
    To be fair we converted a lot of 3rd and shorts. We're pretty good from there. We get in trouble throwing the ball too much. If we get 2-3 yards on 1st down we are on schedule

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah Fitz still locks onto primary and doesn't go through his progressions sometimes. I know when he threw one of those 3 yard shallow crosses on a third and 7. We had gray wide open on a corner route that would've been 6. Nick checked down to early and missed the read. They jumped the underneath route and gray was wide open.
    Maybe, just maybe we should check up instead of check down. I have actually given this some thought to this, in that what would it do to safeties who are eyeing the QB's eyes?

vCash
    Agree. It's absolutely hilarious that the team that was clearly more talented is the one that came out and ran a flea flicker on the first play.

Mullen would never consider such, because flea flickers are outside of our normal offense, and, since our base offense always has someone open, assuming that we check down, assuming we execute, there is no reason to run a flea flicker.

MULLEN, HERE IS A FREE SECRET. TEAMS WANT YOU TO CHECK DOWN AND ARE BAITING YOU TO CHECK DOWN BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE ABT YOU QB's ACCURACY OR FEAR YOUR RECEIVERS ABILITY TO CATCH THE BALL AGAINST THEIR DB's.
    There, I believe I fify. I'm sorry, but at least two of those three passes to Gray would've been caught by Ross. And every pass we threw to someone last night other than check downs were blanketed, and we kept running the ball behind our block missing o-line. No misdirection, maybe one sweep and I think it was Hill on one play trying to run behind the o-lineman. Defender slipped the block and made the tackle.

We've got to figure a way to get Jenkins out from under center, we need him at guard or I'd take him at the other tackle. Our passing game will not improve in big games until we get some receivers. Taller, faster, bigger and can shake someone for a second or two. Oh and catch the ball.

Every big game we play looks exactly the same. Second half against Bama in 2014 is the exception. Dak just fell short of bringing us back to a win, but the first half was just like every other time we play an elite team.

So UGA has 59 4&5 stars while we have 15. I hate that excuse. While true, who's fault is it and who's using it as an excuse?

I think we're heading in the right direction as a program, just wish we were there now and I wish we wouldn't play UGA and BAMA scared. Just like someone said every time we played a great defense, Jackie threw it deep to Prentiss on our first play to soften up the D a little. I think they connected a couple times too. We have the QB to do it, and if Gray can get open he can catch it. Even if overthrown it sends the same message.

That pass to Gray on the sidelines where the defender just played pitter-patter with him till he knocked the ball away just pissed me off. A good pass, the defender played it well, but a bigger receiver would've had a body to shield the defender enough to catch it. We're gonna have to try to get it to one of our young guys more than once a game.

Just my .02....
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash

It's pretty simple
    I agree with this and agreed with that concept in the first offense plays of each team to begin the game. Not hindsight, said so at beginning of game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    I noticed that during the game. They keep a hand on the chest, then when the ball is thrown the right hand goes around the waist, and the left arm goes between the hands. Seemed like every long pass play worked out that way or similar.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Ga. hit us in the mouth and we immediately stuck our tail between our legs. That shows me a lack of mental toughness. And it starts at the top. How many games have we seen Mullen with that look in his eyes of "the other team is way more talented and we can't match up with them". It happens every year with Bama, and then usually a time or two in other games during the year. I saw it last night. And then he proceeds to call a conservative game and takes away our aggressiveness.

If things aren't going our way completely, we don't have the mental fortitude to withstand a fight. And it's not just us. I've seen it with "most" other teams as well. The difference in elite teams and good teams is the mental toughness it takes to overcome adversity. Particularly when the other team is more talented than you. If the other team is more talented and you aren't mentally tough, you get beat 31-3.