Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shotgun's Thoughts on Game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Then they've been really underachieving because they haven't played like this in 2 years.
    Yep. OL easily are the hardest players to grade out with “stars”. That’s a shitty OL and has had the Georgia QB running for his life the last 17 games. Those kids were way overrated in high school. They were basically able to control our DL by non legal means but hey they got away with it. Won’t next week and the rest of the year and it will play itself out as a shitty line.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Until proven otherwise, Dan Mullen is Nick Saban/Kirby Smart's biaaatch. They own him. Dan can move the ball against everyone else, but put Saban or Smart on the other sideline & he loses all game planning ability.

- We ran into an ambush tonight against a more talented team that played as well as they could. I think we were confident coming, but the sucker punch flea flicker on the first play put us on our heals the rest of the game. I don't think we would've won by any means, but had the sucker punch not taken place, I think it goes into the 4th quarter as a competitive game.

- I'm really confused about our DL tonight. UGA has the smallest OL in the conference & according to pretty much everyone that follows UGA, is the weakness of the team. This unit certainly didn't show up tonight like they had to for us to win. Again, not sure what happened.

- Tolando Cleveland - Dude, your a SR. Act like it. You were the single biggest weakness on our defense tonight. You looked unprepared & outclassed. You've got to step up. Poor effort from you.

- Our lack of offense tonight is an absolute product of poor OL & WR recruiting. Our midget WRs got manhandled by physical corners. There were numerous balls pried away by Georgia DBSs due to lack of size & physicality at WR. Throw in a QB that doesn't have the greatest accuracy & we've got problems if our passing game can't be set up by running the ball.

- Logan Cook - your worst game tonight. Your lack of quality punts, really hurt us early in the game.

- Fitz - I thought you were tough tonight. It wasn't a good game for you, but you weren't the problem. At this point, I've accepted you for what you are. A damn good football player that is tough, can run, & competes, but you aren't an NFL passer. Not yet at least & when our offense requires you to be that, it's the team's fault, not yours.

Going forward, next week is going to be tough. Auburn found their legs tonight & they've got the DL to force us into a passing team because we can't run for 5-6 yards on 1st down. We'll really find out what we are made of next weekend from a leadership standpoint. Do we sulk or do we get back to work & play better next weekend?

UGA played lights out tonight. Some times when you play a top 5 recruiter, they don't play great, you sucker punch them early like they did us tonight, & you play the game on your terms. That didn't happen tonight. UGA was ready to go & played their best game in 2 years tonight. We'll lose that battle most every time.

I know everyone is disappointed, but we really do have a quality team. It's just limited offensively when other teams can keep us from running. From what I've seen, we will can & should beat, KY, OM, A&M, Ark, BYU, etc. We have a great chance to win 8....maybe 9 games.

Gotta put this one behind us & move on. Lots to play for & got to be ready for Auburn next weekend.
    Lotta good points there shotgun. However I'm not as inclined to put quite as much emphasis on the importance of the early flea flicker. I think what happened last night was more due to the lack of recruiting on the OL and WR (tall , tough & physical) like you stated. too many short drives, lack of scoring wears down your defense both mentally and physically. even without the flea , we still take a thorough whipping in my opinion.

another thing that stings about this is that we thought we had beaten a typical LSU team but it seems quite apparent they are not. We simply are not as good as we thought we were. the reality chickens have come home to roost and it is what it is. But one thing is certain, we are better than last year and improvement from one year to the next is something we should be satisfied with.

based on the remaining schedule, I see an 8-4 or 9-3 possibility. would be a HUGE improvement. it's up to Mullen now to see if he can re-group this team's attitude and get the most out of what he has to work with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Lotta good points there shotgun. However I'm not as inclined to put quite as much emphasis on the importance of the early flea flicker. I think what happened last night was more due to the lack of recruiting on the OL and WR (tall , tough & physical) like you stated. too many short drives, lack of scoring wears down your defense both mentally and physically. even without the flea , we still take a thorough whipping in my opinion.

another thing that stings about this is that we thought we had beaten a typical LSU team but it seems quite apparent they are not. We simply are not as good as we thought we were. the reality chickens have come home to roost and it is what it is. But one thing is certain, we are better than last year and improvement from one year to the next is something we should be satisfied with.

based on the remaining schedule, I see an 8-4 or 9-3 possibility. would be a HUGE improvement. it's up to Mullen now to see if he can re-group this team's attitude and get the most out of what he has to work with.
    Meh, I don’t think we need a better OL per se but the lack of a big physical receiver when you have a QB with shitty accuracy is a recipe for disaster. If we had a Malik Heath, AJ Brown, or Stephen Guidry last night, it would have made the difference and we would have kept up with them on offense. The lack of a big physical receiver on the outside hurt us big time as #18 shut Gray down with contact before the ball got there with 50/50 interference balls that would be called if we were at home. It’s the same way that Saban teaches his corners to play. Use as much contact as possible and complain if they call pass interference (which it is). The only way to combat that is either A) Move your receiver around since UGAs best corner was 18 or B) get big physical receivers and challenge them since the refs have no balls. It’s hard as hell to win a 50/50 ball when a corner is able to basically push you bump you before the ball gets there. Also, if a D doesn’t have to respect your passing game and sells out on the run, the job becomes infinitely harder on the OL. It was a classic Alabama D we went up against last night. Dan does a shitty job gameplanning on offense for a Saban D. We will play much better next week but we have to move Gray around like we did Fred Ross last year. We made it way too easy on the defense last night.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Meh, I don’t think we need a better OL per se but the lack of a big physical receiver when you have a QB with shitty accuracy is a recipe for disaster. If we had a Malik Heath, AJ Brown, or Stephen Guidry last night, it would have made the difference and we would have kept up with them on offense. The lack of a big physical receiver on the outside hurt us big time as #18 shut Gray down with contact before the ball got there with 50/50 interference balls that would be called if we were at home. It’s the same way that Saban teaches his corners to play. Use as much contact as possible and complain if they call pass interference (which it is). The only way to combat that is either A) Move your receiver around since UGAs best corner was 18 or B) get big physical receivers and challenge them since the refs have no balls. It’s hard as hell to win a 50/50 ball when a corner is able to basically push you bump you before the ball gets there. Also, if a D doesn’t have to respect your passing game and sells out on the run, the job becomes infinitely harder on the OL. It was a classic Alabama D we went up against last night. Dan does a shitty job gameplanning on offense for a Saban D. We will play much better next week but we have to move Gray around like we did Fred Ross last year. We made it way too easy on the defense last night.
    can't disagree with much there Market. good points about how the lack of a passing game can make the OL look shittier than they really are. I'm not ready to call the game plan shitty though. I'm thinking more that it was Mullen having not enough to work with.