Thread: Beyond Grantham

vCash

Beyond Grantham

We ranted and raved about the great job that Grantham has done turning this defense around and rightfully so. However, we should not overlook the upgrades that we've made on the defensive coaching staff beyond Grantham.

In Abram's press interview he noted that Ron English is more detail oriented than other coaches he's had and he has had several after playing at Georgia, in JuCo, and high school. It makes sense that English would be detail oriented seeing that he has gone from coaching an entire team to one position group. He has seen the big picture but now he is only responsible for the safeties.

It's been talked about how Brian Baker has approached this season differently after last year's disappointing results. I'm not a big DL guy but I seem to notice them winning using techniques rather than just raw strength and speed. They actually get off blocks consistently.

We have yet to see TBuck's corners tested completely but they haven't had many if any busts.
    Durr looks like a new player with new confidence. Dantzler brings wood and has a knack for the ball. So far so good.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Have we missed a single tackle this year? I know that there have been a couple of 'could have made a play' types but there are ALWAYS two other players right there to help wrap up.

My point .. Don't know who gets the credit but in 10 months, the whole team learned to tackle.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Our defense reminds me of a pack of mad dogs attacking, they run over each other trying to get at whatever they're after. Watch how our guys go after the ball carriers, they are literally running over each other trying to make the tackle and it ain't just one getting there, its a bunch of them getting there and they are arriving with bad intentions. One play in particular against lsu, Etling dropped back to pass was immediately flushed right by sweat. Sweat was in hot pursuit and Gerri Green was getting held by the right tackle but shed him and both were in hot pursuit. They both tracked him down from behind and as he was going down here comes Simmons to finish him off. That's just one play but I saw that happening time and time again in every game this year. That's extremely intimidating the way we attack. That kinda defense wears on an offense and they start getting gun shy. Keep bringing that heat, Grantham!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Our defense reminds me of a pack of mad dogs attacking, they run over each other trying to get at whatever they're after. Watch how our guys go after the ball carriers, they are literally running over each other trying to make the tackle and it ain't just one getting there, its a bunch of them getting there and they are arriving with bad intentions. One play in particular against lsu, Etling dropped back to pass was immediately flushed right by sweat. Sweat was in hot pursuit and Gerri Green was getting held by the right tackle but shed him and both were in hot pursuit. They both tracked him down from behind and as he was going down here comes Simmons to finish him off. That's just one play but I saw that happening time and time again in every game this year. That's extremely intimidating the way we attack. That kinda defense wears on an offense and they start getting gun shy. Keep bringing that heat, Grantham!
    Yea, guys are definitely flying to the ball. It has been a nice change from what we have gotten used to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    We ranted and raved about the great job that Grantham has done turning this defense around and rightfully so. However, we should not overlook the upgrades that we've made on the defensive coaching staff beyond Grantham.

In Abram's press interview he noted that Ron English is more detail oriented than other coaches he's had and he has had several after playing at Georgia, in JuCo, and high school. It makes sense that English would be detail oriented seeing that he has gone from coaching an entire team to one position group. He has seen the big picture but now he is only responsible for the safeties.

It's been talked about how Brian Baker has approached this season differently after last year's disappointing results. I'm not a big DL guy but I seem to notice them winning using techniques rather than just raw strength and speed. They actually get off blocks consistently.

We have yet to see TBuck's corners tested completely but they haven't had many if any busts.
    Durr looks like a new player with new confidence. Dantzler brings wood and has a knack for the ball. So far so good.
    I totally agree. There are a lot of working pieces in having a great defense, offense and special team. There is no substitute for great players for sure. When I watch MSU on both offense, defense and special teams, I see these things in each unit and I see a team that embraces each other. I coached for 25+ years and would still be coaching if I didn't have a terminal illness. You hope you get to coach this type of team several times in your lifetime. This team can and will play with anyone. At La Tech we got down 9 pts and weren't playing good at all. All of a sudden Simmons blocked a punt and the rest is history. Every facet of the team turned it up and said, "that's it we aren't fooling around anymore", and they didn't. You hear coaches talk about QB's having that "it factor", well this Bulldog team has it. This football team from an athletic perspective looks great and plays faster than any MSU team I've seen that I can remember. And we also are very talented. I'm going to enjoy the ride because things feel different surrounding this program and its going to be magical.
    Last edited by Bodaski; 09-22-2017 at 03:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep. A lot of defense is pure mentality. You have to swarm to the ball, and we swarm to the ball better right now than any team since 99.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    I totally agree. There are a lot of working pieces in having a great defense, offense and special team. There is no substitute for great players for sure. When I watch MSU on both offense, defense and special teams, I see these things in each unit and I see a team that embraces each other. I coached for 25+ years and would still be coaching if I didn't have a terminal illness. You hope you get to coach this type of team several times in your lifetime. This team can and will play with anyone. At La Tech we got down 9 pts and weren't playing good at all. All of a sudden Simmons blocked a punt and the rest is history. Every facet of the team turned it up and said, "that's it we aren't fooling around anymore", and they didn't. You hear coaches talk about QB's having that "it factor", well this Bulldog team has it. This football team from an athletic perspective looks great and plays faster than any MSU team I've seen that I can remember. And we also are very talented. I'm going to enjoy the ride because things feel different surrounding this program and its going to be magical.
    Enjoyed reading that perspective, Bodaski.

Thanks, and from a casual observer, you're right about this team having something special.