Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Thoughts On UGA Game

vCash

Final Thoughts On UGA Game

I've read and heard all the arguments this week. I've heard how talented UGA is, road game, etc, but something keeps telling me that MSU is just clicking at a level right now that we haven't seen in the Dan Mullen era. We can run it with multiple players, throw it, block it, and tackle it.

In the past 6 SEC games (About the time Fitz settled in as the starter, MSU has scored the following amount of points:

Kentucky - 38

A&M - 35

Alabama - 3 in an 11:00 game in which we would've rather been in Aleppo

Arkansas - 42

Ole Miss - 55

LSU - 37

Folks, something is up and unless Georgia runs out Bama's team or Kirby Smart finds kryptonite, I think we'll continue to click and I like all the matchups of our defense vs their offense.

I realize I may be laughed at for this prediction, but I'm going MSU - 28 UGA - 13

This happens every week. The farther along we get in the week, the more people forget the eye test and they start leaning on recruiting rankings, tradition, crowd noise, etc.

The eye test tells me MSU is clicking on all cylinders and is about to put the nation on alert tomorrow night.

vCash
    I said 24-13, so I'm pretty much with you.

vCash
    Good write up Shotgun. My wool just keeps getting thicker. My only difference is I think we have a D who takes pride in shutting people down. With Grantham's history in Athens, plus Abram and Rivers, our D is going to be as keyed up as last week and I don't think UGA has an answer on O.

BrunswickDawg calls it 28-6 - no TD's allowed by Grantham's D.

vCash
    Well, it makes sense.

38 State
    17 UGA

This is what my gut has been telling me two days now.

vCash
    Outside of the Bama game last year, we've averaged 41.4 PPG in our 5 other SEC games.

Basically, by saying we'll score 28, I'm saying that UGA will hold us to 13 points below our average.

Think about that......

Also think about this, they'll be only team taking the field tomorrow night that thinks they can score 35+ points.

Confidence is huge

vCash
    Compared to what we've been doing on offense since Fitz settled in, outside of Alabama last year, Msu would have to play it's worst offensive game in a long time to lose this one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Well, it makes sense.

38 State
    17 UGA

This is what my gut has been telling me two days now.
    I'm feeling the exact same score but previously I said 38-24 accounting for a late UGA score to make it look respectable.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Good article here by Sammon basically saying it isn't smoke and mirrors.

https://twitter.com/willsammon/statu...95558740054020

If we play sound football, don't have critical injuries, or terrible turnovers, it's lights out in Athens.

Stop looking at the logos on the helmets

vCash
    I think it boils down to how our LBs play. I feel pretty good about our DL, but in order to stop UGA the way they run the ball we must be gap disciplined from the LB position. I think they will open up trying to get Fromm a little comfortable by throwing some intermediate stuff. BTW, I love the kid. I think he has a bright future in Athens if he can stay healthy. Loved him in high school, loved how humble he is and the fact he's open with his faith in Christ too. But putting all that aside, I think Grantham will give him some crazy looks after the first 2 drives. To throw him off of his comfort zone, some mixed coverages. One thing we need to understand is that Grantham's level of football accumine is really high and he has infused some looks that are translatable from the NFL to the SEC. The kid to look for is not going to necessarily be Simmons in this game but rather Dez & Abrams. These are going to be keys to translating the calls in the field to the necessary players.

Offensively I think we need to be patient, we were last week and it payed off. Kirby is going to try to do the same to Fitz that we are to Fromm. The only difference is Fitz has seen SEC speed, Fromm has not. ND is a bowl team but they don't possess the speed the athletic ability the SEC defenses have. Be patient and eventually you'll have guys in the secondary make mental mistakes with coverages & lose eye discipline and then we'll have big plays.

I said last year I felt CDM would go to a more "Relf-fense" offensive scheme and he has. This team reminds me a lot of our 2010 team with far greater athletic talent at the skill positions. Aeris reminds me of a slower Vick Ballard. He runs SO hard and when he sees a hole he hits it with ferocity. Gibson is like Perkins was and Fitz is a faster, more athletic & more accurate Relf. I think we pull this out late in the 4th in a tough environment 27-20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Outside of the Bama game last year, we've averaged 41.4 PPG in our 5 other SEC games.

Basically, by saying we'll score 28, I'm saying that UGA will hold us to 13 points below our average.

Think about that......

Also think about this, they'll be only team taking the field tomorrow night that thinks they can score 35+ points.

Confidence is huge
    Hell even if you include Bama, our average over that span is 35 PPG in SEC play. UGA holding us to 28 would be 7 points below that, which I think is perfectly reasonable.

So the question is can a freshman QB score 28 on Grantham? I think you are on the money here. I'll give them a bit more credit for the home field and say State 28 UGA 24.

vCash
    27-13 good guys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg496 View Post

I'll give them a bit more credit for the home field and say State 28 UGA 24.
    Pretty much how I see it.

vCash
    The Dawg Nation insider that was on with Doug on 620am this morning said Fromm was lucky that ND's DBs were not SEC caliber. He thinks State has SEC caliber DBs and he expects at least one interception because of this.

vCash
    1. Can we match their intensity? They will be jacked and We have to bring it just like we did last week, and that is tough to do two weeks in a row.

2. Can fitz outplay fromm in the passing game? They will slow our ground game and we will slow theirs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I've read and heard all the arguments this week. I've heard how talented UGA is, road game, etc, but something keeps telling me that MSU is just clicking at a level right now that we haven't seen in the Dan Mullen era. We can run it with multiple players, throw it, block it, and tackle it.

In the past 6 SEC games (About the time Fitz settled in as the starter, MSU has scored the following amount of points:

Kentucky - 38

A&M - 35

Alabama - 3 in an 11:00 game in which we would've rather been in Aleppo

Arkansas - 42

Ole Miss - 55

LSU - 37

Folks, something is up and unless Georgia runs out Bama's team or Kirby Smart finds kryptonite, I think we'll continue to click and I like all the matchups of our defense vs their offense.

I realize I may be laughed at for this prediction, but I'm going MSU - 28 UGA - 13

This happens every week. The farther along we get in the week, the more people forget the eye test and they start leaning on recruiting rankings, tradition, crowd noise, etc.

The eye test tells me MSU is clicking on all cylinders and is about to put the nation on alert tomorrow night.
    I love this write-up! You are seeing correctly sir. Ain't nobody stopping the Fitz train but Fitz. He's special with no intimidation, cold blooded!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I said 24-13, so I'm pretty much with you.
    27-17 with a couple of field goals.

vCash
    27-10 Maroon and White colored Bulldogs

vCash
    31-10 Maroon and White Dawgs. This team is playing with confidence. They are playing harder than I've seen a state team play in a while. If our offense can sustain drives, even if we don't score on them all, our defense is going to wreak havoc and remain rested. We already made a statement with the bayou tigahs, but I think you're about to see an even bigger statement tomorrow night. Hail State baby!!

vCash
    All I know is, if we beat Georgia, they will fall in the same boat as LSU. They are not very good and over rated!*****

vCash
    Here's our rushing stats through those same 6 SEC Games:

UK-39 Attempts 281 yards
    AM-58 Attempts 365 yards
    Bama-35 Attempts 94 yards
    Arky-35 Attempts 205 yards
    unm-47 Attempts 457 yards
    LSU-48 Attempts 285 yards

That's 262 Attempts for 1687 yards. 281 yards per game and 6.4 yards a carry

If you take out the Bama game. 227 Attempts for 1593 yards. 319 yards per game at 7.0 yards per carry

I had to do the math twice to make sure I wasn't misreading it. Our Ground game has been dang near unstoppable in SEC action. Those are some serious number against SEC competition. That's a big enough sample size to say that this is a trend and not an aberration.