Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a college team win a Natty w/mostly 3*&* athletes, no 5*'s

vCash

Can a college team win a Natty w/mostly 3*&* athletes, no 5*'s

I say, w/super coaching...yes

vCash
    3* and 4*? With plenty of 4*, then yeah I think they could. But history says they need to average either top 10 classes in the 4 cycles leading up to the natty, or average top 15 with a dominant game changing QB.

vCash
    In the last 20 years, every national champion has had at least 2 top 10 classes in the 4 years leading up to their title except for 2. Oklahoma in 2000 and Clemson last year. Oklahoma had 1 top 10 class and Clemson had 1 top 10 class and 1 class that was 11th. So in reality.. no

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    No. However they can become a pretty regular team in New Year 6 Bowls.

vCash
    Not out of the SEC. Now a team like that may could come out of a weaker conference and then play above their heads in the playoffs and possibly pull it off.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    You beat Bama, you can beat anybody and I think we beat Bama this year.

vCash
    We have a 5 with Simmons.
    Leo , Spencer, Kobe, Willie, Cory, Peters, Adams , Green, Bryant are all 4 guys . I may have left off some.
    Sweat and Abram are 4* players
    Other guys we have are underrated .

Not saying we don't need to improve in recruiting higher rated players, but this shit we hear from the media that all we have are 2-3 star guys is bullshit.

And yes coaching is a HGUE deal..

When it comes to national Title. Let's take care of business In the west and try and make a NYE bowl
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 09-21-2017 at 11:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    In the last 20 years, every national champion has had at least 2 top 10 classes in the 4 years leading up to their title except for 2. Oklahoma in 2000 and Clemson last year. Oklahoma had 1 top 10 class and Clemson had 1 top 10 class and 1 class that was 11th. So in reality.. no
    Given the relative Stone Age of recruiting services that Oklahoma team’s recruiting rankings are based on, its hard to really accurately compare them to the recruiting rankings of teams in the past decade or so, when recruiting rankings have gotten far more advanced and national than they were in the 90s.

Banned
    vCash
    Clemson's rise is your blueprint, honestly, for anyone who isn't a true blue blood program, with access to any player they want. However, they would be second tier for sure, and they recruit better than just 3 and 4 stars.

If you are asking how a team like MSU could do it? It's going to take an extraordinary combination of coaching and an elite player or two somewhere along the line, preferably a quarterback. Think Cam Newton. Is Fitzgerald that guy? He may be.

vCash
    Can they? Sure, of course. Is it likely? No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    If you are asking how a team like MSU could do it? It's going to take an extraordinary combination of coaching and an elite player or two somewhere along the line, preferably a quarterback. Think Cam Newton. Is Fitzgerald that guy? He may be.
    You bring up an interesting point. Many on here would say MSU could've won the 2010 title with Cam Newton as Qb. So, how does Nick compare to college-Cam, and how does the 2010 MSU team compare to 2017 MSU team?

To me, the 2010 and 2017 defenses are similar. Both aggressive with a couple NFL ready players. On offense, I actually think the 2017 receivers have an edge on the 2010 receivers. Wasn't the leading receiver Chad Bumphis that year? I'll give Vick Ballard the edge over A-train, but RB depth is better this year. Not sure about the O-line. 2010's was probably a bit better and more experienced than this year, but it's still early.

Nick isn't quite Cam Newton level yet. He needs to develop more accuracy throwing downfield. Also, though Nick is very physical I think Cam was harder to tackle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    You bring up an interesting point. Many on here would say MSU could've won the 2010 title with Cam Newton as Qb. So, how does Nick compare to college-Cam, and how does the 2010 MSU team compare to 2017 MSU team?

To me, the 2010 and 2017 defenses are similar. Both aggressive with a couple NFL ready players. On offense, I actually think the 2017 receivers have an edge on the 2010 receivers. Wasn't the leading receiver Chad Bumphis that year? I'll give Vick Ballard the edge over A-train, but RB depth is better this year. Not sure about the O-line. 2010's was probably a bit better and more experienced than this year, but it's still early.

Nick isn't quite Cam Newton level yet. He needs to develop more accuracy throwing downfield. Also, though Nick is very physical I think Cam was harder to tackle.
    Cam had better touch, both have a cannon for an arm, both tough to bring down (might give the nod to Cam), but Fitz is faster than Cam.

vCash
    Fitzgerald isn't Cam, not even close, and I'm a big Fitz fan. Cam Newton was the most dominant college player ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Fitzgerald isn't Cam, not even close, and I'm a big Fitz fan. Cam Newton was the most dominant college player ever.
    Cam was basically if you combined Dak and Fitz. He was great throwing the ball but could drag guys for a 5 yard gain if he was hit at the line. I will say as great as Cam was, AU doesn't win the title without Fairly. He was as disruptive at DT as anyone in the SEC in the last 10 years. He made that defense go just like Cam made the offense. Either of those guys went down and AU probably doesn't win more than 8 games. If both went down then they might not have won 5.

vCash
    More likely pre BCS. The evolution of the post season makes it less likely IMO.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Cam was one of the freakiest athletes to play in the SEC. He could have played 3 or 4 other positions and excelled at all of them. Not many people could single handedly take over a football game like he could.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This. Fitz is awesome, but he is no where close to Cam.

Banned
    vCash
    Agree, it's just one more fist fight to deal with

vCash
    Any school will have to have a good dose of 4 and 5* players to win it all imo. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I wonder what is the average star ratings for FSU,OSU,AL and Clemson(last 4 champions) was?

Banned
    vCash
    If a lesser talented team rises, it's usually always due to quarterback. Even Clemson had to do that, though they seem pretty damn good this year too. But yeah that Auburn 2010 team was 7-5 or 8-4 without Newton, essentially what they were in 2009 and 2011. Lucky bastards.

So at the end of the day, there's your baseline. Have 7/8 win talent around a super quarterback, or upgrade talent slightly and have a lesser but great quarterback, which may be where were are presently. We'll see.