Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread for the Mullen complainers (including me)...

vCash
    Just weighing in here, I think the problems have been a combination of youth/evolution, OM and the AD. When we had the Ninja Dan was young and probably didn't fully see the complete game aspect. Note that we weren't as financially well off then too, Greg was growing things financially. When we got Strick, I'm not sure that he wasn't the issue and I agree with the comment that he probably wanted to spend less so he could have more for his penny loafers. Not to mention OM was really undermining everything he was doing, so I can see him wanting out before his rep took too big of a hit. Now what you have is an ISOB for AD (and a guy that fully understands what it means to compete on a national level), OM is out of the game (for now) and Mullen has been around the block enough to know what it takes. If you doubt that the OM situation wasn't playing a role, look at our current recruiting. We keep trending the way we are and good times are ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    So somehow you think we were not? LOL! When was Fitz recruited? The Ol? The DL... That wasn't a meeting held buy the new AD. They didn't suddenly have those guys on the field because Cohen had a come to Jesus meeting. It had to do with Mullen redshirting 19 players at once while you guys complained about a 160 pound back was doing what was asked of him. It had to do with him knowing a lot more about where the team was and planning for the future.

This is why you guys need to pump the brakes. I remember the "Let's fire Mullen now before he ruins Dak" years. Hell, I even remember you guys wanting him gone last year after dropping one to USA. Calls for the back up.. Fitz is a bust.
    well said coach ... this quote is because I can't give you rep points twice in the same thread ...... there will always be some naysayers - it's the nature of man... but it's very good for everyone to be reminded once in a while about how far Mullen has taken us
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    well said coach ... this quote is because I can't give you rep points twice in the same thread ...... there will always be some naysayers - it's the nature of man... but it's very good for everyone to be reminded once in a while about how far Mullen has taken us
    It's like they think he (or anybody) should have been able to step in and have an instant national championship program without any ups or downs.

Since he has been here:

Bowling every year after the first season with a 5-2 record

Vs

2 bowl games the decade PRIOR to him getting here.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Coach is the most correct person in this thread. Mullen has been fantastic for Mississippi State, period. Anything else is unrealistic whining.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Coach is the most correct person in this thread. Mullen has been fantastic for Mississippi State, period. Anything else is unrealistic whining.
    Yep.

vCash
    It's like they think he (or anybody) should have been able to step in and have an instant national championship program without any ups or downs.

Since he has been here:

Vs

No one ever said that he should have stepped in and had a national championship, ever. The problem was always that he was very good, borderline great, but he kept making the same mistakes year in and year out. No one expected him to be perfect, but it was damn frustrating to see the same thing over and over again, even though it was better than before. I haven't seen the same mistakes this year, and I'm glad. My point with this thread was that if he keeps going the way he's going we could be looking at the beginning of a new era of Mullen at State, and not just fixing things.

vCash

Since he has been here:

Vs

No one has ever said that. I'm just asking that we play the best players and hire the best coordinators possible and that our coach is 100% committed to us and not looking around for jobs publically every offseason.

Just because Dan is better than Charley Shira and Slick Morton it doesn't mean that he should get a total pass on everything and not be criticized for not recruiting well and running a 160 pound running back up the middle. The issues that were brought up by "the whiners" were indeed changed- which means that those people weren't the only ones involved with MSU that saw some issues. It was the people at MSU making the decisions. They encouraged Dan to change some things in exchange for an extension. He did- we gave him the extension- and I'm fine with that. We've ALL benefitted from that. But I guess Keenum and Cohen are "whiners" too since they forced the issue with Dan. Or you actually believe that somehow some magical way Dan just naturally figured everything out in one offseason correcting literally every issue that the team had- after not having done so for the first eight years.

Would you rather be 6-7 every year with a St. Petersburg Bowl knowing that there are a lot of obvious issues that could easily be fixed but "hey! It's better than 1969 MSU football!"? Or have a chance to win 10-13 games a year with a solid team all around? I don't know about you, but I much prefer kicking everyone's ass that we should like La Tech and at least knowing that if we lose we're probably going to look respectable doing so. I already like this season much better than last season so far- and 2015 for that matter. It's not about "expectations"- it's about doing everything within your power to achieve your full potential. And if this team manages to reach 10 wins this year after all of the changes I'd say it's pretty hard for you to argue that the "unrealistic expectations" were that unrealistic in the first place. Of course you won't realize that and you'll keep trying to call out the very people that had the vision enough to speak up about it and help spur the changes so that we could reach our ceiling.

And since I know you don't believe me about the Cohen/Keenum meeting ask yourself this...

Why did we NOT give Dan an extension after a 9 win season in 2015 and we did after a 6-7 season? I'll let everyone ponder that for awhile.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 09-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    No one has ever said that. I'm just asking that we play the best players and hire the best coordinators possible and that our coach is 100% committed to us and not looking around for jobs publically every offseason.

Just because Dan is better than Charley Shira and Slick Morton it doesn't mean that he should get a total pass on everything and not be criticized for not recruiting well and running a 160 pound running back up the middle. The issues that were brought up by "the whiners" were indeed changed- which means that those people weren't the only ones involved with MSU that saw some issues. It was the people at MSU making the decisions. They encouraged Dan to change some things in exchange for an extension. He did- we gave him the extension- and I'm fine with that. We've ALL benefitted from that. But I guess Keenum and Cohen are "whiners" too since they forced the issue with Dan. Or you actually believe that somehow some magical way Dan just naturally figured everything out in one offseason correcting literally every issue that the team had- after not having done so for the first eight years.

Would you rather be 6-7 every year with a St. Petersburg Bowl knowing that there are a lot of obvious issues that could easily be fixed but "hey! It's better than 1969 MSU football!"? Or have a chance to win 10-13 games a year with a solid team all around? I don't know about you, but I much prefer kicking everyone's ass that we should like La Tech and at least knowing that if we lose we're probably going to look respectable doing so. I already like this season much better than last season so far- and 2015 for that matter. It's not about "expectations"- it's about doing everything within your power to achieve your full potential. And if this team manages to reach 10 wins this year after all of the changes I'd say it's pretty hard for you to argue that the "unrealistic expectations" were that unrealistic in the first place. Of course you won't realize that and you'll keep trying to call out the very people that had the vision enough to speak up about it and help spur the changes so that we could reach our ceiling.

And since I know you don't believe me about the Cohen/Keenum meeting ask yourself this...

Why did we NOT give Dan an extension after a 9 win season in 2015 and we did after a 6-7 season? I'll let everyone ponder that for awhile.
    that was a pretty good post, Todd. +1
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash

I have a serious question: How did my mother and everyone else with a functioning brain know that running Holloway up the gut with a stud on the bench was absolutely insane? It was Dan's utterly asinine personnel decisions and job flirting every offseason that drove me nuts.

I have a feeling someone chewed his ass pretty hard after the USA loss and told him to stop his BS offseason antics, retarded personnel choices and gameday cargo shorts if he wanted an extension.

vCash

Very well said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    I have a serious question: How did my mother and everyone else whit a functioning brain know that running Holloway up the gut with a stud on the bench was absolutely insane? It was Dan's utterly insane personnel decisions and job flirting literally every offseason that drove me nuts. I have a feeling someone chewed his ass pretty hard after the USA loss and told him to cut out his BS offseason antics, retarded personnel choices and gameday cargo shorts if he wanted an extension.
    The shorts honestly never bothered me. I can see where a lot of people would see it as unprofessional though.

The thing about Holloway that got me was the different lame excuse every week- especially the blocking one when he was getting blown up and was obviously worse as an inside runner than Aeris. Then it had to change to he didn't know the assignments, the plays, then he had some fumbling problems, didn't spend enough time in the film room. I just find it funny that Aeris started to be a running back guru the same week that Holloway got hurt. I mean, if Dan wanted to "start" Holloway that's fine- but just use him properly.

No question the South Alabama loss was a major wake up call for Dan. And for Stricklin- he left very soon thereafter. I'm not sure that the rumored extension talk was heated or not. I envision it having gone- "you want an extension, do this. And we will help you do it by giving you however much money you need for a real DC."

Had he not done those things- I think he would have been back but would have not gotten the extension and would have been on the hot seat. I'm happy it didn't work out like that though- I want to win no matter who the coach is.

vCash
    If I recall correctly, we added about 4 off field positions and bumped the entire coaching staff's pay that off season. So, outside of all the rumored "Mullen to XXX" (of which the only one I really believe maybe is Miami), maybe Mullen felt that the best investment was in more resources instead of another half mill a year for him.

Fact is no one knows beyond message board rumors. I still think the real tension between Dan and Stick was about investing in off field staff and coaches salaries. That is somewhere Dan knows we were getting our clock cleaned. Dan pried more money out of Scott after '15 and we start landing guys like T Buck. I think any looking Dan did was not about his salary, it was about finding a place that was all in for what it takes beyond the HC to win at this level - or using it as leverage to get what he wanted from Strick.

Ask yourself this - if the "come to Jesus meeting" took place, how in the hell would a coach negotiate a big raise coming of a 6-7 season and the addition of a million dollar DC? I sure wish my boss would have that type of a come to Jesus with me. You had a shitty year. Here, have a big raise. Here, have more money for your department so you can focus more on what you like about your job. Here, go hire a bad ass hot secretary to run the staff so you don't have to bother. Yeah, that's a come to jesus meeting.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 09-22-2017 at 08:22 AM.

vCash
    I will never believe our administration sat down with Mullen and gave him any kind of 'wake-up call' or ultimatum. That seems absurd on its face.

vCash
    The shorts honestly never bothered me. I can see where a lot of people would see it as unprofessional though.

The thing about Holloway that got me was the different lame excuse every week- especially the blocking one when he was getting blown up and was obviously worse as an inside runner than Aeris. Then it had to change to he didn't know the assignments, the plays, then he had some fumbling problems, didn't spend enough time in the film room. I just find it funny that Aeris started to be a running back guru the same week that Holloway got hurt. I mean, if Dan wanted to "start" Holloway that's fine- but just use him properly.

No question the South Alabama loss was a major wake up call for Dan. And for Stricklin- he left very soon thereafter. I'm not sure that the rumored extension talk was heated or not. I envision it having gone- "you want an extension, do this. And we will help you do it by giving you however much money you need for a real DC."

Had he not done those things- I think he would have been back but would have not gotten the extension and would have been on the hot seat. I'm happy it didn't work out like that though- I want to win no matter who the coach is.
    That's at least the 2nd time you've mentioned Stricklin and suggested he left before he was asked to leave. Strickin left because he was WANTED at UF and they doubled his MSU salary to $1M. With bonuses, he could almost triple his salary to $1.4M. Enough with your fictitious, covert "come to Jesus" meetings.

Good for Dan not playing players for reasons he deems necessary for the growth of the football team AND for the player himself. There's a plethora of things that go on that we as fans are not privy to and thus we make our own assumptions... and if we say them enough, they seem to become the truth.

vCash
    The closest thing to perfection has been Nick Saban at a POWER house school. Put Mullen there and he would be as successful as he is.
    The ONE thing that the media idiots that write "Mullen is leaving" stories DON'T understand, is that Dan has TOTAL control over the football program .. just like Saban at Alabama. Not every 'Top Ten' programs could he do that.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If I recall correctly, we added about 4 off field positions and bumped the entire coaching staff's pay that off season. So, outside of all the rumored "Mullen to XXX" (of which the only one I really believe maybe is Miami), maybe Mullen felt that the best investment was in more resources instead of another half mill a year for him.

Fact is no one knows beyond message board rumors. I still think the real tension between Dan and Stick was about investing in off field staff and coaches salaries. That is somewhere Dan knows we were getting our clock cleaned. Dan pried more money out of Scott after '15 and we start landing guys like T Buck. I think any looking Dan did was not about his salary, it was about finding a place that was all in for what it takes beyond the HC to win at this level - or using it as leverage to get what he wanted from Strick.

Ask yourself this - if the "come to Jesus meeting" took place, how in the hell would a coach negotiate a big raise coming of a 6-7 season and the addition of a million dollar DC? I sure wish my boss would have that type of a come to Jesus with me. You had a shitty year. Here, have a big raise. Here, have more money for your department so you can focus more on what you like about your job. Here, go hire a bad ass hot secretary to run the staff so you don't have to bother. Yeah, that's a come to jesus meeting.
    Your theory about diverting money to recruiting specialists makes sense- except if that was the case we would have still given Dan an EXTENSION. By not giving Dan an extension we not only didn't give him a raise- we made his buyout cheaper.

Of course Dan was looking around to better himself- and honestly that's fine. Most people probably do that. I think that's good in a way because I think since that happened it showed Dan how good he has it here- and that has helped him commit to us even more. That said, if you are looking for a job it's probably not a great idea to publicize it no matter what business your in. Dan's agent didn't handle that very well- and Dan changed agents as he should have.

I explained how the negotiation went- Dan tells them he wants an extension. Keenum and Cohen say OK BUT here's what you have to do in order to get it. It probably wasn't even heated at all. Dan didn't get his extension until after he: Won the Egg Bowl, won our bowl game, improved his recruiting class, re-assigned Sallach and hired Looney, and hired Grantham. THEN he got the raise. He did what he was supposed to do and we followed up by keeping our word. It's as simple as that- and again we're all the better for it.

And to add- it would be pretty sorry of MSU to tell him to hire a real DC and not tell him that we would pay whatever. That would almost be setting him up for failure- which wouldn't have been right.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 09-22-2017 at 06:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    That's at least the 2nd time you've mentioned Stricklin and suggested he left before he was asked to leave. Strickin left because he was WANTED at UF and they doubled his MSU salary to $1M. With bonuses, he could almost triple his salary to $1.4M. Enough with your fictitious, covert "come to Jesus" meetings.

Good for Dan not playing players for reasons he deems necessary for the growth of the football team AND for the player himself. There's a plethora of things that go on that we as fans are not privy to and thus we make our own assumptions... and if we say them enough, they seem to become the truth.
    You may believe what you wish and choose to believe. Interesting that the Stricklin to Florida rumors heated up right after we lost to South Alabama.

By the way, I'm not the only person on this board that has said this. There's some pretty reputable posters on here that would probably back up some of the things I've said.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 09-22-2017 at 06:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I will never believe our administration sat down with Mullen and gave him any kind of 'wake-up call' or ultimatum. That seems absurd on its face.
    MSU has been having meetings with every coach at the end of their season going back to the Larry Templeton days at least. You really think annual reviews are "absurd"? Almost every business in America does them. One of the things that are talked about in them are ways to improve. No one ever said he was given an "ultimatum". He wasn't going to be fired or anything like that. But had he not made some changes he would have been down that path in a few years.

Of course, you wouldn't believe me if I told you our colors are maroon and white and would argue that point for days so believe whatever and be willfully ignorant.

vCash
    MSU has been having meetings with every coach at the end of their season going back to the Larry Templeton days at least. You really think annual reviews are "absurd"? Almost every business in America does them. One of the things that are talked about in them are ways to improve. No one ever said he was given an "ultimatum". He wasn't going to be fired or anything like that. But had he not made some changes he would have been down that path in a few years.

Of course, you wouldn't believe me if I told you our colors are maroon and white and would argue that point for days so believe whatever and be willfully ignorant.
    What changes do you think our president and Cohen told Mullen to make? I personally find it ridiculous. I can see a meeting where they ask dan what he needs to take the program up a notch... which led to more money for a D.C. (Grantham). If Cohen and our president sat Mullen (our best coach ever) down and told him how to run his program, I feel certain Mullen would've told them to stick it. Mullen doesn't need miss state to be a successful HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What changes do you think our president and Cohen told Mullen to make? I personally find it ridiculous. I can see a meeting where they ask dan what he needs to take the program up a notch... which led to more money for a D.C. (Grantham). If Cohen and our president sat Mullen (our best coach ever) down and told him how to run his program, I feel certain Mullen would've told them to stick it. Mullen doesn't need miss state to be a successful HC.
    So, you don't believe me but you do believe that they would have a meeting where they would tell him to take it up a notch? LOL. I don't think the meeting was even that threatening- I think it was just how can we improve the football program and ways to do that. And I've already said what they told him to change at least twice in this thread.

1. Hire a legit DC.
    2. Improve his recruiting by bringing in assistants like Looney and by improving our class.

No one has said that Cohen and Keenum are telling him how to "run his program". Do I think they make suggestions? Yeah. Dan respects Cohen a lot because Cohen has coached before and they have been friends for as long as Dan has been at MSU. Keenum used to play football himself at the JUCO level- so he has a little more credibility than some in the football arena. It's actually a really good situation for us. Are they telling him who to play or who to hire?- no.

As far as your last sentence- the thing is we don't need Dan to be a successful football program either. (I'm sure THAT is going to be taken completely out of context especially by you) That said, because we do have a relationship it's good for BOTH of us if we're successful TOGETHER. It's a two way street. By that I mean MSU supports Dan by giving him suggestions on how to improve the program and also by giving him resources- money- to implement those suggestions. And I don't think Dan is as arrogant as you think he is- otherwise he wouldn't have made changes- including demoting his ex-college roommate who had been on staff for eight years.

And I'm actually happy that they pretty much made the changes and that they have worked- so you can be willfully ignorant as well if you choose to.

Again- the proof is in the pudding. No extension after 9 wins in 2015 and an extension after major changes were made in 2016 despite fewer wins.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 09-22-2017 at 07:30 PM.