Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread for the Mullen complainers (including me)...

vCash

Thread for the Mullen complainers (including me)...

I have been complaining about Mullen since he got here. There are so many things he has done good each year and it's almost always the same. QB play is exceptional. What he did with Relf was miraculous, that guy is about as much of a QB as me, and Mullen made him look good. He is an honest and good guy, we don't have issues with our players which is a relief and is a great thing if you have kids that look up to the team. We have a good and honest program.

But always the same problems. FG kicker, nothing to say about this, we all know. Most years we are playing the wrong guy at RB, period. We have lost several games because of this, last year it was most obvious but it wasn't the only year it happened. Look what Aeris is doing right now, he would have been doing the same thing last year from the first game on if not for Holloway. Time clock management issues, throwing the ball all over the field when we should be running, never challenging calls, etc. Same stuff. It has driven me nuts for 8 years.

But, something is different this year. We are clicking, he has the team fired up and is doing everything right. He actually milked the clock in the 2nd half last week, first time I've seen that since he's been here. Defense played with a fire under their ass without all the BS tackling crap and letting the other team back into the game.

I have to think this ole miss stuff is off his back, I think it was much more a detriment as a head coach than any of us can know. He looks like a different person this year, and the team is feeding off of it. I will stand by my complaints for the last 8 years, I saw what I saw each year. However, what I'm seeing right now is what I always thought Mullen could do if he got rid of those other issues. We look incredible. What we did to LSU was criminal, a legit SEC beatdown. There are only a handful of teams in this country that could do that to them, Orgeron or not.

Bottom line is for me, I love what I'm seeing. This is serious football. I always wondered if Mullen had the complete package because of the other issues, but so far this year, it's perfection. Just keep doing what we are doing. If we can keep things up like this I want to think we are on the first part of the next era of Mullen as a coach and not the end of anything.

vCash
    I think Keenum and Cohen had a come to Jesus with him if he wanted an extension and everyone has benefitted.

We saw some pretty major changes- new DC, country club boy demoted and Looney brought in to help recruiting- which may have lit a fire under Hevesy's ass as well to at least get the o-line to perform sooner, and no public posturing about being open to leaving Starkville. We even found a kicker in week three- before it would have taken Dan until week 6-8 for a major change like that to happen.

vCash
    That was a great post! You nailed it! I might add that Dan was only 36 when he took the job. I think we have watched the evolution of a coach and his growth right before our eyes. I'm sure the ole miss crap took its toll on him as it would any of us. Working his butt off and those idiots buying players out from under him and screwing with everything he was trying to build. We are I believe entering a golden era in our history and I'm glad I'm here to see it. Thanks for posting that!

HailState

vCash
    I think the OM situation and Grantham have let him focus on his first love, which is play calling. He is a master chess player when he has the tools to work with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    I have been complaining about Mullen since he got here. There are so many things he has done good each year and it's almost always the same. QB play is exceptional. What he did with Relf was miraculous, that guy is about as much of a QB as me, and Mullen made him look good. He is an honest and good guy, we don't have issues with our players which is a relief and is a great thing if you have kids that look up to the team. We have a good and honest program.

But always the same problems. FG kicker, nothing to say about this, we all know. Most years we are playing the wrong guy at RB, period. We have lost several games because of this, last year it was most obvious but it wasn't the only year it happened. Look what Aeris is doing right now, he would have been doing the same thing last year from the first game on if not for Holloway. Time clock management issues, throwing the ball all over the field when we should be running, never challenging calls, etc. Same stuff. It has driven me nuts for 8 years.

But, something is different this year. We are clicking, he has the team fired up and is doing everything right. He actually milked the clock in the 2nd half last week, first time I've seen that since he's been here. Defense played with a fire under their ass without all the BS tackling crap and letting the other team back into the game.

I have to think this ole miss stuff is off his back, I think it was much more a detriment as a head coach than any of us can know. He looks like a different person this year, and the team is feeding off of it. I will stand by my complaints for the last 8 years, I saw what I saw each year. However, what I'm seeing right now is what I always thought Mullen could do if he got rid of those other issues. We look incredible. What we did to LSU was criminal, a legit SEC beatdown. There are only a handful of teams in this country that could do that to them, Orgeron or not.

Bottom line is for me, I love what I'm seeing. This is serious football. I always wondered if Mullen had the complete package because of the other issues, but so far this year, it's perfection. Just keep doing what we are doing. If we can keep things up like this I want to think we are on the first part of the next era of Mullen as a coach and not the end of anything.
    The truth is simple. There is NO coach in the WORLD that would meet your expectations on a yearly level. The closest thing to perfection has been Nick Saban at a POWER house school. Put Mullen there and he would be as successful as he is.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    I think the OM situation and Grantham have let him focus on his first love, which is play calling. He is a master chess player when he has the tools to work with.
    He will have even more tools to work with next year- a healthy Dear, Guidry and Heath on the outside, Aeris, Kylin, and Lee at RB, Green and Justin Johnson at TE. Not to mention Deddrick Thomas and Keith Mixon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The truth is simple. There is NO coach in the WORLD that would meet your expectations on a yearly level. The closest thing to perfection has been Nick Saban at a POWER house school. Put Mullen there and he would be as successful as he is.
    That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for perfection. Yeah- obviously we'll come up short and never be totally perfect every time out. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't shoot for it. Saban won't be there forever- and look what happened to Alabama after the Bear retired and the time in between before they hired Saban. The same thing will more than likely happen there again.

If we keep amassing talent like we are and are sound in all three phases of the game like we appear to be right now- we can at the very least play with Alabama and may even knock them off every once in awhile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for perfection. Yeah- obviously we'll come up short and never be totally perfect every time out. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't shoot for it. Saban won't be there forever- and look what happened to Alabama after the Bear retired and the time in between before they hired Saban. The same thing will more than likely happen there again.

If we keep amassing talent like we are and are sound in all three phases of the game like we appear to be right now- we can at the very least play with Alabama and may even knock them off every once in awhile.
    Exactly and that was always my complaint with Mullen. It always seemed like we were doing good things but didn't care about being great, but we were on the cusp of it. This is the first year that I feel like he is trying to put all the pieces together to be great and not just better than we were before.

vCash

So somehow you think we were not? LOL! When was Fitz recruited? The Ol? The DL... That wasn't a meeting held buy the new AD. They didn't suddenly have those guys on the field because Cohen had a come to Jesus meeting. It had to do with Mullen redshirting 19 players at once while you guys complained about a 160 pound back was doing what was asked of him. It had to do with him knowing a lot more about where the team was and planning for the future.

This is why you guys need to pump the brakes. I remember the "Let's fire Mullen now before he ruins Dak" years. Hell, I even remember you guys wanting him gone last year after dropping one to USA. Calls for the back up.. Fitz is a bust.
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Exactly and that was always my complaint with Mullen. It always seemed like we were doing good things but didn't care about being great, but we were on the cusp of it. This is the first year that I feel like he is trying to put all the pieces together to be great and not just better than we were before.

What was 2014? I mean my God.... Seriously.... MSU would have missed out on 2014 and this season if you guys would have made the decisions.

/exit thread..... You guys have at it.
    Last edited by Coach007; 09-20-2017 at 11:15 PM.

vCash
    So somehow you think we were not? LOL! When was Fitz recruited? The Ol? The DL... That wasn't a meeting held buy the new AD. They didn't suddenly have those guys on the field because Cohen had a come to Jesus meeting. It had to do with Mullen redshirting 19 players at once while you guys complained about a 160 pound back was doing what was asked of him. It had to do with him knowing a lot more about where the team was and planning for the future.

This is why you guys need to pump the brakes. I remember the "Let's fire Mullen now before he ruins Dak" years. Hell, I even remember you guys wanting him gone last year after dropping one to USA. Calls for the back up.. Fitz is a bust.
    Not speaking for Todd, but this was the point of my post. Mullen has done a lot of things right, but he has also done a lot of things wrong. Hell the south alabama game last year was the sum of all of it. He really could have been doing what we are doing right now since Dak got here. But, I don't think he knew how. He is learning. I would have fired Mullen each year after every year because of the issues i mentioned, even after the number 1 year. My point though is that we are seeing something different this year, Todd might be right that Cohen got on him. Personally I dont think that's the case, I think it's that he's free of the ole miss stuff and that we are seeing the real person and coach and that we are seeing him able to do his job the way he really wants to.

vCash
    I think it's been a combination of the ole miss crap and Dan being extremely young and a little cocky. I've always been a supporter of Dan because I liked what I saw in his character and the way he did things and I was confident he would grow into the role. I think we are seeing his evolution. I read Belichiks book the Evolution of a Coach and Dan has very similar traits as far as intelligence and football iq as well as the arrogance. Bills first shot at Cleveland didn't go so well but people forget that because of what he's accomplished. Belichik blames a lot of his failure there on his arrogance and wanting to do things just his way. There's certainly a learning curve involved. Not saying Dan will become Belichik or Saban but you never know. I feel confident he will be extremely successful here before it's all said and done.

vCash

That's cold blooded, man...

A BA of .684 with 1 NC, and 2-3 SECC over the next 2 Post MMDL decades???

The entitled Bammer Millennials shall weep.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Not speaking for Todd, but this was the point of my post. Mullen has done a lot of things right, but he has also done a lot of things wrong. Hell the south alabama game last year was the sum of all of it. He really could have been doing what we are doing right now since Dak got here. But, I don't think he knew how. He is learning. I would have fired Mullen each year after every year because of the issues i mentioned, even after the number 1 year. My point though is that we are seeing something different this year, Todd might be right that Cohen got on him. Personally I dont think that's the case, I think it's that he's free of the ole miss stuff and that we are seeing the real person and coach and that we are seeing him able to do his job the way he really wants to.
    If you would have fired Dan after every year then you would never, ever have a successful coach or have a winning program. All coaches make mistakes. All coaches. You think Saban wishes he had hired someone other than Kiffin? You bet.

Your OP is BS. "See, If Dan had just listened to us all along and gotten a D.C., shown some emotion, played the "right" players, we would have been doing this all along. So let's look at that. You call out clock management - go look at the 2010 Florida game where we didn't have a prayer. You talk about Holloway - maybe the toughest SOB we have ever had - but Aeris has said what made him turn the corner was Boobie telling him last year he had to learn to play a complete game. You create some mythical "come to Jesus" meeting - well maybe Cohen said "how much do you need to make the next leap". Instead of Scott saying "I need that money for new penny loafers".
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 09-21-2017 at 06:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    That's cold blooded, man...

A BA of .684 with 1 NC, and 2-3 SECC over the next 2 Post MMDL decades???

The entitled Bammer Millennials shall weep.
    Do you think that's why weed and meth sales soared? The pain and sorrow ran so deep and there was no reason to live ********

vCash

Coach, that was somewhat due to poor recruiting efforts IMO. The last 2 years Dan has kept saying we were "very young" when in reality those 2 deep were loaded with Srs. and Jrs., especially 2015. This team is really young ... very few Srs.

To me it is somewhat obvious that a fire has been lit somehow with Dan. Not sure what the fire was, but something has changed. Since 2015 look at the off-field coaches hired to help in recruiting, look at the recruiting efforts put forth, etc. Look at all the Jucos that are playing on D and playing at a high level their very first year.

Not only that ... last year the first 6 games we looked like Jr. High team. I can live with losing ... it's tougher when we look so disorganized and totally clueless on the field like a Croom team. And when we won't hit folks.

Another thing (and this could go to the OM NCAA stuff some and could be used in Dan's defense maybe) .. everyone is saying that we're a bunch of 3* and below players this year. Not so. We're loaded with 4* on D. Offense may be mostly 3* and below, but the D is loaded with 4* players on this year's team. 2014 was a bunch of 3* and below players everywhere. So when folks wanna say Collins wasn't a good D coordinator, they're wrong IMO.

It's still early this year (and I'm working real hard to keep my expectations at a reasonable level) but right now I would be pretty disappointed if we don't go at least 10-2. 9-3 I could live with too, but would be a little disappointed by that. Still a good year tho.

I do believe Dan is evolving and maturing into the job better as he gains more experience.

vCash
    '14 = 10 wins
    '15 = 9 wins
    '16 = 6 wins with 3 losses on last play/poss
    '17 = 3-0

I guess I don't see where Mullen has been bad. After losing the NFL rookie of the year, one of the best NFL defensive rookies, our D.C., and then replacing our D.C. with perhaps the worst one in the game, we were 3 plays from being a 9-win team again.

vCash
    THIS

vCash

I think Dan was at a stage in his career where he wanted to move on to the next thing and didn't realize at the time that we were the next thing. He got distracted and started looking at other jobs and we dropped a little bit. After he realized that he could do the things he wanted to do and got support from a new AD that is more about winning and has more coaching knowledge from having done it himself he got put back on the right path

Holloway was a good player that was not used properly. Our offense started to turn around last year when we started playing Aeris more like everyone wanted. We lost South Alabama because we played upper classmen that shouldn't have played as much- like Damien Williams, Hokloway up the middle, hired an incompetent DC and used a walk- on kicker that struggled the entire year and wasn't able to make a chip shot field goal. Dan announced on Sunday after the loss that Fitzgerald was starting- so I know that decision wasn't made based on practice. Had Dan not made changes he would have been fired. It's not a coincidence that Stricklin left shortly after the South Alabama loss- he knew what was coming for him.

My stance on Dan has always pretty much been if he wants to be here that's fine- he needs to be all in for MSU and not be actively looking for another job and doing what he is now. If he does not want to be here he needs to leave. I don't think that's the case after the 2015 offseason.

vCash
    It's not about being perfect. It's about learning and not making the same mistakes over and over.