Thread: Can We Play That Well Two Weeks In a Row?

vCash

Can We Play That Well Two Weeks In a Row?

Looking at Saturday's game vs Georgia, & I think Georgia has a talent advantage on the whole, but MSU is a more balanced, more complete football team with the better QB, better coach, & better OL.

My biggest concern & insecurity is that I wonder if we can play that well two weeks in a row?

I mean, against LSU, we played almost perfect & thankfully the score reflected that, but almost everything went right. Can that happen two weeks in a row?

I'm thankful that this team got down 9-0 on the road at La Tech, because it forced them to face some adversity, which they obviously overcame. I'm also thankful that Mullen & many of our coaches have been through this type of situation before in 2014. As awesome as it was to be #1 that year, I thought the program grew up a little & that experience is something that many involved can draw from.

Saturday night, it's hard to see us playing almost perfect like we did vs LSU, but I'm a believer that this team has excellent leadership & will overcome the crowd & the adversity that hits when something goes wrong in Sanford Stadium.

vCash
    Did we really play THAT well? I saw a team that made a Lot of mistakes and still dominated!

vCash
    Yep, hope there's no letdown of not having that electric atmosphere this Saturday. That and ill-advised mistakes are my only worry. I think it'll be close most of the game.

vCash
    When you play really good defense? Damn right you can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Did we really play THAT well? I saw a team that made a Lot of mistakes and still dominated!
    Sure, we made some mistakes, but that's one of the best games I've seen MSU play in my life time.

If it took us much of a life time to play that well, what are the odds we can do it 2 weeks in a row?

I think we are good, but we'll have to battle Saturday night. Better come out & punch someone in the mouth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyper View Post
    This is the corrrct answer. Great defense does wonders. It allows offense to gamble and not worry and it allows an offense not to be perfect all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyper View Post
    This my thought as well.

It seems to me that good defense & good OL play travels well. Teams that can run the football travel well.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Does a bear shot in the grove?

vCash
    I'm gonna make a bold prediction. We may not win every game but if someone's gonna beat us theyre gonna have to bring their lunch pail!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This my thought as well.

It seems to me that good defense & good OL play travels well. Teams that can run the football travel well.
    You hit the nail on the head. If the OL plays we will win the game. They wont score much on us barring turnovers

vCash
    The saying is "defense travels".
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    A great team is the perfect mixture of maturity and talent in the right places. If you look at the 2014 team as a model example, We had excellent maturity and intelligence at the 2 key positions on the field. QB (Dak) and LB (Bennie Brown). We had excellent talent on the DL (Chris Jones), and an excellent run-blocking O-Line. This team is the same formula. QB (Nick), LB (Dez), DL Talent (Simmons), and so far an excellent run-blocking O-Line. We do lack in talent in comparison to 2014 at WR, but we have better overall Defensive talent in 2017. We now have a HC who is experienced in winning big time games.
    Last edited by calidawg; 09-20-2017 at 06:38 PM.

vCash
    If Mullen gameplans well and Nick stays calm, we'll win going away.

This is taking into account a natural letdown after LSU, their home field advantage (which isn't as dramatic as ours) and their recruiting star advantage.

Every advantage they have is matched by one of ours, but we have the two biggest at Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator and QB.

Unless something unusual happens -- critical injuries or multiple turnovers -- we will win by two scores.

vCash
    It all goes together- if we stop them on defense and prevent scores and maybe create turnovers it helps the offense. If the offense can throw and run the ball and score points it helps the defense. And quietly our special teams unit has become very good too- it appears as if we have found a kicker to go with our possible all-SEC punter and we have outstanding return guys in Mixon and Gray that are very dangerous.

vCash
    Nick has this game circled. Make no mistake, it's a reckoning.

vCash
    Defense travels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    A great team is the perfect mixture of maturity and talent in the right places. If you look at the 2014 team as a model example, We had excellent maturity and intelligence at the 2 key positions on the field. QB (Dak) and LB (Bennie Brown). We had excellent talent on the DL (Chris Jones), and an excellent run-blocking O-Line. This team is the same formula. QB (Nick), LB (Dez), DL Talent (Simmons), and so far an excellent run-blocking O-Line. We do lack in talent in comparison to 2014 at WR, but we have better overall Defensive talent in 2017. We now have a HC who is experienced in winning big time games.
    Yes, we can do it again because excellence is contagious. Last Saturday our team got a taste of what excellence feels like.

I'd like to point out that in 2014 we lacked maturity at RB and it cost us a safety in the biggest game. JRob's head got too big and it became about him. Also, Geoff Collins got butt hurt and decided to ditch the team for his next opportunity. I don't see any of that happening with this squad and these coaches.

I'm not saying we are going undefeated or winning the NC but after 9 years I feel like Mullen has finally gotten the right defensive coaches to go with his offense.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***