Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mullen has to stay for 2018....

Banned
    vCash

Mullen has to stay for 2018....

We lose Rankin, Gray, Myles, Cleveland, Harris, Durr and Thomas. We gain Guidry, Rivers and Cole plus a whole recruiting class, featuring Heath who could play immediately.

Whatever jobs he could get this year, will be better next year.

Texas A&M and/or Tennessee would have to pay 6-7 million to get him. I don't think he fits at either.

I will say this - we should all be Notre Dame fans from here on out. If we beat Georgia in Athens, who beat them in South Bend, they may be motivated to pay the money. If Notre Dame antes up and pays 6-7 million, I will shake coach's hand and wish him well. Promote Gonzales and we'll still be awesome in 2018.

vCash
    Not sure Billy G is a head coach.

After Mullen leaves we'll have a desirable job.

Dez Harris could potentially come back.

vCash
    I hope Mullen is smart enough not to go to Notre Dame if given the opportunity. Without making fundamental changes to their identity (they won't), no coach is going to get them back to the level of consistent success they once had, yet they'll still hold onto those expectations for decades. I'm not saying we shouldn't accept that Mullen might find other opportunities attractive, but all the Notre Dame job is good for at this point is setting a coach's career back a decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I hope Mullen is smart enough not to go to Notre Dame if given the opportunity. Without making fundamental changes to their identity (they won't), no coach is going to get them back to the level of consistent success they once had, yet they'll still hold onto those expectations for decades. I'm not saying we shouldn't accept that Mullen might find other opportunities attractive, but all the Notre Dame job is good for at this point is setting a coach's career back a decade.
    I would say there is a large enough sample size to where anyone with half a brain realizes that matching up any big resource school with any big name coach is no guarantee of anything(except maybe a nice contract and huge buy out). I don't expect Mullen to retire at MSU, but I would think he'd be pretty mindful of what job he would take next.

vCash
    Why does he have to leave? That sounds like ole miss crap to me. And why even bring it up?

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Notre dame will not pay that kind of money. Mullen will stay to reap the fruit of his 9 years invested. He'd be dumb to leave the cupboard that full for someone else. Not to mention we gonna give him a nice raise if the season continues the way it is going.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Why do we continue to do this to ourselves?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    These threads do nothing for our team. Mullen is here because he wants to be. Just like everyone everywhere. You work the job because you either have to (some people) or want to (Mullen). Mullen could have left years ago, but didn't. He is close to getting the program to the next level. 4 years of what we did in 2014 and we will no longer be seen as the lower tier SEC doormat. All it takes is our coaching staff to stabolize, keep UM down, and win games and he will be the one responsible for building something.

Can you imagine, people still think Bear Bryant is better than Saban? That is what it would be like going to Notre Dame.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Wherever Mullen ends up next, his life gets consiberably less comfortable. He is going to have to persuade Megan that it is worth it. She was pretty vocal about not liking Florida and the pressure from fans and media. He can get another raise from his buddy Cohen and continue to build. Hell, he has gotten it to the point where things should be a little easier. If the Baylors and the TCU's can do it, we can as well.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    There won't be many 7-5, 6-6, hell even 8-4 seasons allowed in South Bend. The pressure will be immense.

vCash
    This team would beat the shit out of Notre Dame, in South Bend. Mullen is on the cusp of building a monster in the SECW.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Jesus Christ. Just stop these ignorant threads. He's not leaving for anything other than him being flat out bored. SMFH again at our fan base for even allowing this thought to remain in one's mind more than 10-15 seconds

He's going to get paid top 10 money at MSU if these next 2 years finish out to 80% of their potential. He calls his shots with regard to facilities and program upgrades. He has taken a bottom tier program, elevated it to an upper middle class program, with a chance to push a program to never before seen levels over the next decade. Our rivals have had their entire beaver dam blown to smitherines and we are about to start dominating the state of Mississippi for the foreseeable future.

Someone please lay out a plan that proves how Dan could be so ignorant and flat out stupid to leave the situation he has now found himself in? I'd be more apt to believe a leprechaun would ride a unicorn and lead the team on the Dog Walk before the Bama game than Mullen leaving anytime soon. He wants an Urban Meyer type legacy and you can't build that going to a program that already has one of those previously.

As I've said more times than I can count, our fan base had held us back more than anything in our history. These threads need to stop because they will only be used against us and fans who keep harping on this need to STFU or get a vacation from the board.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Not sure Billy G is a head coach.

After Mullen leaves we'll have a desirable job.

Dez Harris could potentially come back.
    Agree on Billy G. Whenever someone has been a coordinator as long as he has, it's rare you see them make the jump to HC. Look at what happened to Ellis Johnson. It's the reason Chavis and Grantham aren't head coaches.

vCash
    Why are you guys playing THEIR game?

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why do we continue to do this to ourselves?
    Because we have a lot of fans with an engrained losers mentality. It's the same group who said we barely had a chance to beat LSU. It's the same group who complains about playing La Tech on the road or USM. This same shit, loser mentality is why we are so far behind in the arms race and were shit on by the conference for so many decades. Until the loser mentality is gone you'll continue to see this and sadly I don't think any of our older fans will ever shake this mentality. They are scared to start thinking and acting like a winner. The fear or losing trumps the joy of winning.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Why are you guys playing THEIR game?
    This.

vCash
    Sheesh. I'm not sure who I dislike more: the media guys who write these articles or the posters here who don't want to discuss it. He ain't leaving and no one is freaking out. We just talkin sports mane.

Please stop telling us to stop freaking out and stop discussing this.

We'll be ok but quit your whining. It's nauseating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    Why does he have to leave? That sounds like ole miss crap to me. And why even bring it up?
    I agree, why in the world are folks even talking about him leaving, he just signed an extension.

Funny how some where saying we can do better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    Probably is.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I agree, why in the world are folks even talking about him leaving,.
    Because we like talking sports and Msu football. It's ok.