Thread: Handling Success

vCash

Handling Success

It will be interesting to see how our guys handle being thrown into the spotlight now. Everyone is patting them on the back and naming them as Bama's biggest contender. I know we love being the underdog but it is nice to gain some reconigtion instead of being the doormat of the Sec. One intresting thing to me is the number of our leaders on this team was either freshmen or redshirted on the 2014 team. Guys like:

Fitz
    A. Williams
    Gabe Myles
    D. Calhoun
    Jenkins
    Jesse Jackson
    G. Green
    B. Bryant
    Dez Harris
    C. Rayford
    Braxton Hoyett
    Grant Harris

Hopefully they learned from Dak and the boys and they can take us back to the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_M..._football_team
    Last edited by BigEasyDawg; 09-19-2017 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    After watching the replay Jesse Jackson is going to make some things happen.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I think they'll be fine because this wasn't a surprised or shock to them. They went into the game expecting to win & I think they feel the same way going into Georgia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Yeah. I saw that as well.

He may develop into the big possession receiver this team appears to lack

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyDawg View Post
    It will be interesting to see how our guys handle being thrown into the spotlight now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_M..._football_team
    Our fans can't handle winning...we win and too many of you are sending DM off to Notre Dame. No one can win there anymore. The only school he ever considered was Penn State.

DM said this where kids will come to win national championships. I don't see him leaving until we start winning natty's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Hudson's little bro View Post
    Our fans can't handle winning...we win and too many of you are sending DM off to Notre Dame. No one can win there anymore. The only school he ever considered was Penn State.

DM said this where kids will come to win national championships. I don't see him leaving until we start winning natty's
    I was about to post the same thing. I think our players can handle it much better than our fans. We have such a loser mentality at State. Gotta weed those people out or somehow beat the losing out of them!!!

vCash
    Mullen has coached on several teams that have gone undefeated or won national titles. He knows what buttons must be pushed to keep a team engaged.

Our falling apart at the end of 2014 wasn't because of the players. It was the coaches esp Collins. I don't see that happening this year.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Mullen has coached on several teams that have gone undefeated or won national titles. He knows what buttons must be pushed to keep a team engaged.

Our falling apart at the end of 2014 wasn't because of the players. It was the coaches esp Collins. I don't see that happening this year.
    Precisely! Both Grantham and Mullen are locked in. And I think they feed off each other.

vCash

Agreed! This team is hungry and just has some nastiness about them that I like! I think Simmons mentality of "Im not gonna take sh** from no body" is rubbing off on the whole team and I think Grantham brings that same attitude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I was about to post the same thing. I think our players can handle it much better than our fans. We have such a loser mentality at State. Gotta weed those people out or somehow beat the losing out of them!!!
    I definitely understand where you are coming from. Especially when we were underachieving in 2015 and 2016. Our fans have been told they we are always going to suck in football outside of maybe once every 10 years we'll have a season like 1980 and the best we can realistically hope for is winning the Egg Bowl and Liberty Bowl in the same year.

The best way to cure that is for us to win the entire damn thing.

vCash

Dan has that experience as a head coach as well so I imagine he will handle it even better as well. Going undefeated at Utah is different because at that time as a non-power five school that had no realistic shot at winning a NC even if they went undefeated. Winning a NC at Florida is something their fans expect and aren't surprised by. If we went undefeated at MSU or even 11-1, 10-2 and won the SEC regular season title it would be a vibe similar to our run in Omaha in 2013 or our women's Final Four run this year multiplied by 5.

Agree that Grantham is much better than Collins. I think his 1A/1B bullshit cost us a 12-0 season- especially when you consider that the 1B units gave up key touchdowns in the Alabama game and Egg Bowl. Not to mention Collins bend but don't break scheme had some obvious weaknesses and limited our offensive possessions. We were essentially counting on Dak and Josh Robinson to lead us to wins and hope that the defense would hold up enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Dan has that experience as a head coach as well so I imagine he will handle it even better as well. Going undefeated at Utah is different because at that time as a non-power five school that had no realistic shot at winning a NC even if they went undefeated. Winning a NC at Florida is something their fans expect and aren't surprised by. If we went undefeated at MSU or even 11-1, 10-2 and won the SEC regular season title it would be a vibe similar to our run in Omaha in 2013 or our women's Final Four run this year multiplied by 5.

Agree that Grantham is much better than Collins. I think his 1A/1B bullshit cost us a 12-0 season- especially when you consider that the 1B units gave up key touchdowns in the Alabama game and Egg Bowl. Not to mention Collins bend but don't break scheme had some obvious weaknesses and limited our offensive possessions. We were essentially counting on Dak and Josh Robinson to lead us to wins and hope that the defense would hold up enough.
    Offense and being in spotlight cost us the bama game in 14.. D played pretty good in that game despite being put in some tough spots in the first half. Other then that 100% agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Offense and being in spotlight cost us the bama game in 14.. D played pretty good in that game despite being put in some tough spots in the first half. Other then that 100% agree.
    I thought the 1A defense played very well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Keep! Hope! Alive!