Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is the National Media So Concerned About Dan Mullen's Career?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Do y'all know how bad places like FSU, BYU, Va Tech, etc were before Bowden, Edwards and Beamer took over? They started those winning traditions at their respective schools and the country considers them "brands" now. Tradition has to start somewhere. JWS got us going and Dan taking us to another level!

Hail State
    Well put even mighty Bama had to build a foundation but the idiot fan bases of those schools are too arrogant/stupid to realize that.You can win at Mississippi State just like at those schools

vCash
    If Mullen finishes the rest of the year like he began the year he will be making 6 million a year next season...at MSU. Don't let anyone tell you that we can't match what another program will offer if we want to. If he continues this upward trajectory and some program gets stupid enough to offer him 9-10 mil a year then, sure, we would let him go but beyond that he's here.

vCash
    It could be worse. The main question I have seen asked of freeze today is "well if he had burner phones, why didn't he just use that to call his hookers rather than his school issued phone?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    If Mullen finishes the rest of the year like he began the year he will be making 6 million a year next season...at MSU. Don't let anyone tell you that we can't match what another program will offer if we want to. If he continues this upward trajectory and some program gets stupid enough to offer him 9-10 mil a year then, sure, we would let him go but beyond that he's here.
    Exactly! Some of these people act like we have no resources at all, when in fact we can and will pay top dollar for great coaches in any sport(see: baseball, basketball, womens basketball, softball, etc,etc). We may be 13th or whatever in revenue in the SEC but on a national scale our income is pretty dang spiffy. The idiots that write these articles apparently do no research on who and what we pay, and what resources we have(i.e. facilities,admin,benefits) to get some of the best coaches in the country. This is not grandaddys MSU!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    It could be worse. The main question I have seen asked of freeze today is "well if he had burner phones, why didn't he just use that to call his hookers rather than his school issued phone?"
    I still think it's on the table that it was planted by someone else. Freeze said himself he had no recollection of that call and didn't redact it because he thought it was a simple misdial. How can it be ruled out that someone else made that call using his phone to plant it as an out for Ole Miss.

vCash
    What other fans and media don't get, Is we can pay and he has job security at State. He can do what he is doing now and be the coach as long as he wants.

aTm, UT and Ark are slightly above average programs with expectations to be Alabama. If he goes there and doesn't win the conference (beat Saban regularly) he will be fired in a few years. The expectations at these schools are way beyond the ability of these programs.

Arkansas ran off Nutt because a couple of freshmen transferred and he ran the ball to much.

Tennessee ran off Fulmer after he won the a NC there, first since the 1950s. The place has been a turnstile since Fulmer left.

aTm....hadn't a coach won much more than .600 there since Jackie Sherrill, 30+ years ago. That place has been a revolving coaches chair.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 09-19-2017 at 01:30 PM.

vCash
    These articles are just CLICK BAIT!!!! Don't fall for them. They get clicks from fans of schools that are in the market for a new coach and they get clicks from us. What we need to do is call into Bo Bounds and the Finebaum show and tell them EMPHATICALLY why "Mullen to" makes absolutely zero sense. We have to combat the narrative but accept that it will always be a narrative.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    I think he is here for at lest next season. Next season is the season. Also Poor Miss State isn't poor. We get SEC money too. It is going to take a bunch of money to get him to move.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    He is here until he doesn't want to be. If he keeps getting his recruits he wants, why leave. Best competition, best facilities, fans show up and make Home field a big advantage. Why even discuss it.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Do y'all know how bad places like FSU, BYU, Va Tech, etc were before Bowden, Edwards and Beamer took over? They started those winning traditions at their respective schools and the country considers them "brands" now. Tradition has to start somewhere. JWS got us going and Dan taking us to another level!

Hail State
    Another thing that those places have in common, stadiums named after them or at a minimum statue of the coach at the stadium. Does Dan want to put his name on MSU forever or just be one of the guys who won somewhere else? Does Dan want to reap the benefits of all the hard work of building a great foundation of a program? He has more control over his program than probably any coach not named Saban. The football facility was built to his specifications. I imagine we are about to build another endzone pretty soon with new locker rooms. Dan will have a lot to do with that. I think Megan likes actually living where she can go to the grocery store after a loss and not have people talk crap about her husband.

Our facilities for football are top 20 level pretty much in every way. Our stadium isn't the biggest but it is nice and getting better. There is only so much you can do without it just being wasteful.

vCash
    I think it is hilarious.. We are three games into the season. There were some articles middle of last year that he was on the hot seat and some fans in this thread that were really down on Mullen. Several in this thread have criticized him every "down" year he has. It is funny how things and opinions change so quickly.

My advice to all is to sit back and enjoy the ride for however long it is and realize that if and when the time comes to find another coach that our program is in much better shape and much more attractive than it once was. Quit worrying about things out of your control and just enjoy it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I think Notre Dame would be our real worry...But they would have to come up with some big time $$$$ but if he was going to leave for a bigger job besides Notre Dame, it would have been in 2014..
    Why would he go to ND. He has no ties whatsoever to that school. No one since Holtz has done Sh#$ there and they are not going to pay him what he is making here. And here he only has to put up with 34 and some others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Another thing that those places have in common, stadiums named after them or at a minimum statue of the coach at the stadium. Does Dan want to put his name on MSU forever or just be one of the guys who won somewhere else? Does Dan want to reap the benefits of all the hard work of building a great foundation of a program? He has more control over his program than probably any coach not named Saban. The football facility was built to his specifications. I imagine we are about to build another endzone pretty soon with new locker rooms. Dan will have a lot to do with that. I think Megan likes actually living where she can go to the grocery store after a loss and not have people talk crap about her husband.

Our facilities for football are top 20 level pretty much in every way. Our stadium isn't the biggest but it is nice and getting better. There is only so much you can do without it just being wasteful.
    Right! I've felt that way about Dan since the beginning. That he wanted to build something that he could put his stamp and name on and not just be another coach in someone elses history. I honestly believe he wants to be the coach our program is known for. Maybe I'm crazy. Time will tell for sure, but he has definitely put HIS stamp on MSU football.

vCash
    Right! I've felt that way about Dan since the beginning. That he wanted to build something that he could put his stamp and name on and not just be another coach in someone elses history. I honestly believe he wants to be the coach our program is known for. Maybe I'm crazy. Time will tell for sure, but he has definitely put HIS stamp on MSU football.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Interesting that the same BS started at week 3... Move forward.

Remember that MSU doesn't have the BS from the "boosters running the program" like other schools.
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 09-19-2017 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    Regardless of the facts, the national media perception remains that MSU is poor, bad facilities, small fanbase, blue collar fans, subpar game day experience, less talent, and poor recruiting profile. We would literally have to win, not one, but two NC's, to completely lose this media monkey on the back. They are the liberal media, afterall. They simply see us the way they want to see us. This is the way it's gonna be, and whenever it is we do lose Mullen, all of this noise will turn to crickets, because MSU will become irrelevant in their eyes. This is the storyline they push, because they are jealous of MSU with Mullen. It's not hard to see once viewed from our position.

vCash
    I find it interesting that national personalities and writers are talking about coaching changes week 3. It seems they hotseat talk starts earlier each year. All these teams (and coaches) have plenty of games left to play before the season is defined.

Banned
    vCash
    Guys, don't fall for this and DO NOT spread this shit. We are not going to be our own worst enemies anymore. Dan makes just outside of top 10 money. Think about that. And as others have said, he seems different right now and knows he can be Beamer at VA Tech and be the ONE that set us on the course. We can pay him another 500 to a mil and he is close to top 5 pay. Give him incentives.

Just let's all agree to stop with the posts that say they hear he is going here or there from now on and have his back. If he leaves for the Brinks Truck Golden job, then he does. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    What gets me is that EVERY program had a great coach that got the ball rolling.

What was Bama before Bear?

Oklahoma before Wilkenson?

Ohio State before Woody?

FSU before Bowden?

Auburn before Shug?

LSU before Saban?

Tennessee before Neyland?

Michigan before Bo?

Etc.

All these programs were built when the NCAA controlled TV contracts. Was there some sort of clause in a contract that said all those programs forever had the right to win? Or is it possible that other programs could also have great coaches and build their tradition? Or did you have to build it in the 60s or your SOL?
    I get what you are saying and there's a lot of truth in the fact that the HC makes the program. But to be factual, Bama had already won 5 SEC championships before the Bear stepped on campus.

vCash
    Congratulations! You are doing exactly what the media who wrote those articles wanted . To get more views and more controversy. Controversy = News. All of this is specualtion. I highly doubt that the media will dictate what Dan does.