Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the National Media So Concerned About Dan Mullen's Career?

vCash

Why is the National Media So Concerned About Dan Mullen's Career?

This is the damnedest thing I've ever seen. I understand that there will be objections for me posting this, but we've reached the point of absurd with how concerned the media appears to be with where Dan Mullen is coaching. It's the point that it appears they are worried about something.

Two articles today:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...plan-his-exit/

http://gridironnow.com/dan-mullen-de...son-questions/

It's just an absurd conversation.

Why would Mullen leave now when 2017 & 2018 are his most talented teams at MSU?

Why would Mullen leave now when his main rival has destroyed themselves?

Why would Mullen leave now when the 2019 MS high school class is the most talented in the state's history & MSU may have a chance to control it?

Why would Mullen leave now to take over bad programs with unrealistic expectations when he is just now really starting to reap the fruit of his time in Starkville?

All we were told in 2014 is that Mullen had to leave MSU because he had hit his ceiling, yet now we are being told the same thing yet again?

So, if the 2017 & 2019 MSU teams are potentially better than MSU's 2014 team, then how has Mullen reached his ceiling?

Sure, MSU is a "small market" job, but so was Duke at one point in basketball. Davis Wade Stadium has turned into one of the great atmospheres in college football that is wonderful to recruit to.

At what point, does the media just admit that MSU is a really good football program & stop thinking it's a dump that Dan Mullen has to be rescued from?

Again, it just appears as though the media is worried about something. Their insistence & begging that he moves on just seems odd. It's an obsession that lacks logic
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.

vCash
    I could be dead wrong but Dan appears to me to be an "empire builder" type. He wants to leave his own mark and do something everyone said couldn't be done. At State he's "the man" and he knows it. He gets to run his program like he wants without much interference, he makes a dang good living, his family enjoys being here. He's got quite a good life, why leave and screw it up?

vCash
    Just get ready for it. It will be a constant drum beat. You know the source of this crap as well as I do. It originates the same place nearly all of the "Mullen to wherever" stuff starts. It will be worse this time because they know what's about to happen to them.

vCash
    This may be the only thing I ever agree with OM fans about, but it truly feels like blue blood programs believe they are the only ones that have the right to win. There is some extreme entitlement there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Just get ready for it. It will be a constant drum beat. You know the source of this crap as well as I do. It originates the same place nearly all of the "Mullen to wherever" stuff starts. It will be worse this time because they know what's about to happen to them.
    Sadly, it will be trumpeted by a few mods of this site too

vCash
    It's a good question. The media seems to make it a point to dog MSU, our facilities, and our program. Everytime we win a few games these articles immediately start popping up. Other than a few programs, we can pay with anybody.

vCash
    Because he goes against their entire narrative. No one can win at MSU, blah, blah, blah. That has changed to no one can win a championship at MSU. They will keep saying he needs to leave, until eventually he does, and they say they were right (even though they were wrong for 9 years and counting). I'll say this, Dan may leave while he is at this high, but there is no " elite" program that is going to give the same time table to win big that MSU has, while paying top 15 pay, with little pressure. Doesn't sound like that bad of a job. The biggest problem with most teams is they don't give the coach enough time to be successful.

Let's hope he is not from the same cloth as Stricklin, who left his own school for greener pasture.
    Last edited by IMissJack; 09-19-2017 at 11:40 AM.

vCash
    I think Notre Dame would be our real worry...But they would have to come up with some big time $$$$ but if he was going to leave for a bigger job besides Notre Dame, it would have been in 2014..

vCash
    Do y'all know how bad places like FSU, BYU, Va Tech, etc were before Bowden, Edwards and Beamer took over? They started those winning traditions at their respective schools and the country considers them "brands" now. Tradition has to start somewhere. JWS got us going and Dan taking us to another level!

Hail State

vCash
    What gets me is that EVERY program had a great coach that got the ball rolling.

What was Bama before Bear?

Oklahoma before Wilkenson?

Ohio State before Woody?

FSU before Bowden?

Auburn before Shug?

LSU before Saban?

Tennessee before Neyland?

Michigan before Bo?

Etc.

All these programs were built when the NCAA controlled TV contracts. Was there some sort of clause in a contract that said all those programs forever had the right to win? Or is it possible that other programs could also have great coaches and build their tradition? Or did you have to build it in the 60s or your SOL?

Banned
    vCash
    The answer you're seeking is that people can't stand for other people to have enjoyment so they will seek out a way to thrown shade on our sunny day after destroying LSU. They know Mullen leaving is a soft spot for MSU people so that's why you're seeing it right after we looked so great on Saturday. Be prepared you're also going to see a bunch of people trying to take down Jeffery Simmons too. Don't fall for the trolls Shotgun. They got you already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Oklahoma before Wilkenson?

Ohio State before Woody?

FSU before Bowden?

Auburn before Shug?

LSU before Saban?

Tennessee before Neyland?

Michigan before Bo?

Etc.

All these programs were built when the NCAA controlled TV contracts. Was there some sort of clause in a contract that said all those programs forever had the right to win? Or is it possible that other programs could also have great coaches and build their tradition? Or did you have to build it in the 60s or your SOL?
    Right on! Rep given!

vCash
    As I look around the various MSU sites, I see this is being overblown by our fans. There's like 3 threads on each site. Either you're being played for a fool or you're intentionally spreading bullshit. Just stop

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Do y'all know how bad places like FSU, BYU, Va Tech, etc were before Bowden, Edwards and Beamer took over? They started those winning traditions at their respective schools and the country considers them "brands" now. Tradition has to start somewhere. JWS got us going and Dan taking us to another level!

Hail State
    Depends on Dan's goals, and what he wants to live with, but he is sitting in a good place to do the same. OM on probation, team starting to gel, recruiting improving, Saban will retire while Dan still has years of coaching ahead, etc.
    Last edited by IMissJack; 09-19-2017 at 11:58 AM.

vCash
    I think it's good for you guys to get this ink... This happens a lot of places (even with Saban @ Bammer)...

At minimum, it's better than the alternative....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I think it's good for you guys to get this ink... This happens a lot of places (even with Saban @ Bammer)...

True dat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post

True. How many articles did we see with Saban to Texas or Saban to the Colts last year?

Banned
    vCash
    The most important question is why would he leave when Saban has, at absolute most, only 5 good years left before hanging up the spurs?

We are in great shape to have the most stable program in the West when it happens. OM will still be in shambles and Ark, LSU, Auburn, and A&M are all extremely likely to have major coaching turnover within the next 2-3 years. My guess is at least 3 of those 4 will fire their head coach over that time period with one in Sumlin already being a sure thing. Great opportunity there to win bigger than ever. Maybe the best one that Mullen will ever have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Really good.

Alabama's Frank Thomas & Wallace Wade were stellar...

But your point is well taken.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    True. How many articles did we see with Saban to Texas or Saban to the Colts last year?
    A bunch and eventually the storm passes as the trolls get bored