Thread: Saturday's beatdown has people questioning entire LSU program being elite....

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash

Lightbulb Saturday's beatdown has people questioning entire LSU program being elite....

WWL article talking about the historical context of the beatdown being one of the worst a ranked LSU team has had handed to them by an unranked team. To LSU's defense it's not their fault the pollsters did not have us ranked before the game and had them most likely too highly ranked. Like 2014 some of us saw this potential amongst our team before the season started. Isn't that what preseason rankings are based upon? "Perceived" recruiting rankings and returning contributors? Well we've consistently recruited around 25, return many key players, and return the best player in SEC (Fitz), if not the country. Why weren't we ranked preseason?

Any way, here's the early meltdown.

http://www.wwl.com/articles/orgerons...n=LSU+Program+

vCash
    People can't fathom that we may just be really good. I don't get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    People can't fathom that we may just be really good. I don't get it.
    LSU record since 2013 isn't really that good. Not near what it was from 07 - 12.

SEC is Bama ... and the rest. This year we have a decent chance to be at the top of "the rest".

In 2014 I thought teams were really good in west early in year, but beat each other up over several games. Early in year, games were fast and very physical no matter who was playing in SEC W.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    WWL article talking about the historical context of the beatdown being one of the worst a ranked LSU team has had handed to them by an unranked team. To LSU's defense it's not their fault the pollsters did not have us ranked before the game and had them most likely too highly ranked. Like 2014 some of us saw this potential amongst our team before the season started. Isn't that what preseason rankings are based upon? "Perceived" recruiting rankings and returning contributors? Well we've consistently recruited around 25, return many key players, and return the best player in SEC (Fitz), if not the country. Why weren't we ranked preseason?

Any way, here's the early meltdown.

http://www.wwl.com/articles/orgerons...n=LSU+Program+
    This is why I have a problem with having rankings before Week 4, preferably Week 6. Other than a couple of teams like Bama & Clemson, it's a complete crapshoot. It's for nothing more than generating interest and money from the big, fanatical fan bases like LSU, Auburn, Notre Dame, etc. No one knows who the real contenders and pretenders are until games are played. It sucks, but it's not changing.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    This is why I have a problem with having rankings before Week 4, preferably Week 6. Other than a couple of teams like Bama & Clemson, it's a complete crapshoot. It's for nothing more than generating interest and money from the big, fanatical fan bases like LSU, Auburn, Notre Dame, etc. No one knows who the real contenders and pretenders are until games are played. It sucks, but it's not changing.
    Tbh I think Clemson was a crapshoot coming into the year. I think they ended up ranked 5 by default because of being defending champs and no one else really being loaded, but most people really kinda expected a step back after losing the best player in program history along with other NFL talent. They've clearly proven themselves to be worthy of the ranking now, but a few weeks ago we really had no idea.

vCash
    LSU wasn't an Elite Program before this year...when I think of Elite, I'm looking at the last 50 years...the field is small.... BAMA, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC....you take out the Saban era and LSU is basically middle of pack SEC program.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    LSU wasn't an Elite Program before this year...when I think of Elite, I'm looking at the last 50 years...the field is small.... BAMA, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC....you take out the Saban era and LSU is basically middle of pack SEC program.
    I think they mean not living up to consistent top 5-10 recruiting classes but never living up to that hype. Similar to Auburn even though Auburn has had a couple good runs lately.

vCash
    It can't be that we are just good. If we beat one of the "big boys" then they just must be over hyped. That's why we have to win either UGA or AU. Preferrably both

vCash
    By the standards set by Saban and Miles early years, they have not been elite (as in top 5) for the last 3-4 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    LSU record since 2013 isn't really that good. Not near what it was from 07 - 12.

SEC is Bama ... and the rest. This year we have a decent chance to be at the top of "the rest".

In 2014 I thought teams were really good in west early in year, but beat each other up over several games. Early in year, games were fast and very physical no matter who was playing in SEC W.
    yeppers....

2005 - 2011
    75-17 .815
    2 SECC, 1 BCSC

2012 - present
    47-21 .691
    had a 2nd place finish (tied) in the SECW, two 3rds, and a 4th....

LSU hasn't been "elite" since the coin flip in the 2012 BCSNCG...

edit: very talented though...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I have never experienced the level of -- I really don't want to call it butt hurt, but -- pure disgust and surprise among a fanbase as I am witnessing in BR now. Even friends that always give and take good-natured ribbing are getting downright mad at me. It is really interesting and funny to experience.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    LSU was elite for a small window in time from the Saban era to early Les Miles. From 2001 to 2007 they were elite. Then there was another period way back in the 60's. But since 2007 they have been barely a Top 15 program. Just one really elite year in 2011 where they still couldn't finish it out. Outside of the 6 year stretch mentioned, they have basically been equal to Auburn for the past 30 years.