Thread: OLine Recruiting...

vCash

OLine Recruiting...

Dan Mullen's biggest adjustment in OLine recruiting is paying off. We no longer have the smaller athletic lineman in the trenches. He has started getting the big hawgs and it looks to be paying off. These guys are huge. There are no more Dillon Day and Ben Beckwith size guys.

vCash
    Adding Johnson, champion, Suggs, and Phillips to the depth chart and only losing rankin (big loss) from the depth chart should leave us another really good oline next season. Need to sign 3 more olinemen in addition to current 2 this year though

vCash
    I do like bigger o-linemen. But we have to increase the numbers that we're bringing in. We need to start going to plan B Mississippi guys if we're missing our top targets rather than not using a scholarship or going after a grade risk.

vCash
    Maybe Ari or IYOK can let us know if any JUCOs are on our radar. I doubt we get 3 more HS linemen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Adding Johnson, champion, Suggs, and Phillips to the depth chart and only losing rankin (big loss) from the depth chart should leave us another really good oline next season. Need to sign 3 more olinemen in addition to current 2 this year though
    We'll definitely come out plus on overall talent and numbers. The key will be someone who can handle starting at C other than Jenkins to emerge. Jenkins will need to be our LT next year; can't see anyone else replacing Rankin, who's supposed to be an early round draft pick, without a significant drop off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    We'll definitely come out plus on overall talent and numbers. The key will be someone who can handle starting at C other than Jenkins to emerge. Jenkins will need to be our LT next year; can't see anyone else replacing Rankin, who's supposed to be an early round draft pick, without a significant drop off.
    Both Calhoun and Williams have experience at center in the past, and moving one of them to center and putting Michael Story in at guard is certainly an option. Greg Eiland needs another year of strength training before he's ready to handle an SEC tackle position. Parker may be close to being ready to contribute some at guard. There is always the remote possibility that Kwatrivious Johnson is good enough to play some early on as well.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I expect Jenkins to stay at Center next year & Eiland & Phillips to be the LT. Of course it will be a drop off it's a potential 1st rd pick but I think they will be fine.

vCash
    Yep, these guys are turning into a solid unit. Or at least looked that way against LSU.

The complaints about OL recruiting are not that Hevesy is not a good developer of talent. It's about our management of OL numbers (way too short this year in schollys), strategy of going big and then not having decent high 3-star kids left (leading to numbers problems as well), inability to lock down the top talent in MS at the position (Cole Smith, Scott Lasley, S. Charles), and, perhaps more generally, that we just get significantly worse talent at OL than we do at any other position on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I expect Jenkins to stay at Center next year & Eiland & Phillips to be the LT. Of course it will be a drop off it's a potential 1st rd pick but I think they will be fine.
    Will Reese not get moved to LT? I know it's not exactly the same position, but I would have expected the most athletic guy to win the starting RT position this year, and to be the best option at LT next year.