Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching UGA vs ND

vCash

Watching UGA vs ND

A little late night film session watching UGA vs ND & here are some observations:

- UGA is an extremely solid team. They are big, strong, athletic, deep, & appear to have that high 4 star type player at every position. Comparing them to LSU, they appear to have less holes that LSU, but lack the explosiveness of LSU. While LSU has some weak spots, they also have Arden Key, Guice, Chark, & slightly more athletic corners & safeties that UGA. UGA appears to have more depth & less holes.

- Jake Fromm looks like Matt Mauk or Aaron Murray with less arm strength. Honestly, looking at this physical tools, I'm shocked he was a high 4 star/5 star on some services. While refined, his tool set appears ordinary. He is more athletic than Danny Etling but has similar throwing ability while having very average size & speed. Looked to me like a 91-93 type recruiting talent. I think Jacob Eason is a far more talented player but it isn't shocking that Fromm got so much hype since he's the golden boy from Warner Robbins & the local hero while Eason is from Washington. Fromm has that look of the bland Alabama QBs that all transferred like Cooper Bateman, etc. Fromm & Keytaon Thompson are not of similar ability. I'm not sure how the recruiting services continue to screw this up.

- Chubb has lost a step due to the surgeries. He's a good back, but much closer to Aeris Williams type burst than Guice.

- Georgia runs a lot of "wild cat". We've got to be ready for them to try & throw out of it.

- Georgia loves to get the ball out of Fromm's hands quick. Lots of three step drops & fire. I'm not sure how many sacks we'll get, but our DL must stop the run & get their hands up. Fromm is only 6'2", if that. If we get our hands up on three step drops, we'll get some bat down.

- Roquan Smith is a beast at LB & they will blitz him. He appears to be their most dynamic player. Rueben Foster like, but not quite

- UGA's run defense is stiff. Big dudes that appear tough to move. I find it difficult at times to evaluate how run defenses will look against us though, because literally no other team has a 6'5" 230 lbs thoroughbred at QB that has to be accounted for on every play. We recreate dilemmas for defense that I don't know how to scout. Basically, I have no clue if their ability to shut down ND's running game means they will shut down ours. Different level players running the ball for us.

Got through the first half & while I'll readily admit I'm a biased MSU fan who sees what I want to see when I do these things, I feel better after watching them play Notre Dame, who appears to be about like Arkansas.

After watching Georgia play, I'm taking MSU 20-10 in this game. I think we'll find moving the football more difficult against UGA than LSU, but I just don't see the play makers on UGA's offense to out score us. The key for MSU in this game will be to not the turn the football over & give UGA's offense good field position, stop the run, & get an early score to put UGA in a hole. As much as LSU isn't build to play from behind, UGA maybe is less so. Fromm is young with an average tool set & fairly average receivers.

UGA is a really good deep team, but MSU has more dynamic play makers on offense. If we shut down the run & put the game on Fromm's back, I think it's lights out in Athens. 20-10 MSU & I was closer to saying 24-10 than 14-10. I know I see things through maroon colored glasses, but, assuming our defense continues to play fast, physical, & smart like they have thus far, I just don't know where UGA's points come from without big time play makers & a less than creative offensive scheme. Wouldn't be shocked to see UGA try some trick plays like flee flickers, reverses, etc. They know they can't put this game on Fromm & they'll try everything early to create a game where all they have to do is pound the rock with a lead.

-
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-18-2017 at 11:11 PM.

vCash
    You're right about a lot shotgun but you're wrong about Fromm. The kid just turned 18 and has tools and he also has the "it" factor like Dak. I'm glad we are getting him now because by next year the kid will be a beast. As far as arm strength the kid can throw a baseball 95, it's not football but he has a heckuva an arm. That being said he's a freshman and we can and will Rattle him if we keep playing like we have been. I think we force a couple of picks. That kid will be a high draft pick when he leaves uga.

ETA I agree with everything else.

vCash
    ND defense is not good either and uga only put 20 on them. If we don't turn the ball over this could be another blowout

vCash
    Looking over ND's stats and noticed Boston college ran for the same amount against ND as Georgia. It was BC's highest total of the year, 185 yards. We're a much better running team than Georgia imo

vCash
    We are going to beat the breaks off those bitches. Book it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    We are going to beat the breaks off those bitches. Book it.
    I think we win. Turnovers are my only concern

vCash
    Personally I don't think we give up more than 14 points to uga and could be even less. Fromm just not comfortable enough yet to make the right checks at the los and I think Grantham will confuse the heck out of him. That and they haven't turned him loose to throw it downfield yet. We are facing a run heavy short quick passing game this week without a lot of explosion. We get ahead early and uga in deep doo doo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    You're right about a lot shotgun but you're wrong about Fromm. The kid just turned 18 and has tools and he also has the "it" factor like Dak. I'm glad we are getting him now because by next year the kid will be a beast. As far as arm strength the kid can throw a baseball 95, it's not football but he has a heckuva an arm. That being said he's a freshman and we can and will Rattle him if we keep playing like we have been. I think we force a couple of picks. That kid will be a high draft pick when he leaves uga.

ETA I agree with everything else.
    Yeah, tough to get a read on a players makeup off TV. I didn't see that type of arm strength. Throwing a baseball & football require different muscle groups & often times doesn't translate as apples to apples.

Fromm may be a stud, but off watching this film, I can't you tell a tool that will allow him to be special.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-18-2017 at 11:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think we win. Turnovers are my only concern
    Completely agree. Play a clean game & we win.

vCash
    Personally I don't think we give up more than 14 points to uga and could be even less. Fromm just not comfortable enough yet to make the right checks at the los and I think Grantham will confuse the heck out of him. That and they haven't turned him loose to throw it downfield yet. We are facing a run heavy short quick passing game this week without a lot of explosion. We get ahead early and uga in deep doo doo
    This is what I saw as well. UGA has more overall talent than LSU 1-85 on the roster but less elite talent than LSU that can take over a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yeah, tough to get a read on a players makeup off TV. I didn't see that type of arm strength. Throwing a baseball & football require different muscle groups & often times doesn't translate as apples to apples.

Fromm may be a stud, but off watching this film, I can't tell a tool that will allow him to be special.
    If he was at State you would love this guy. He has tebow type character. He's a true leader. Yeah baseball and football not the same but if you saw the throws he made in high school and at elite 11, you would know he has the arm strength. Once he gets to open it up in the future you will see the arm strength. Like I said he's really young and we should be able to shake him up. I'm glad we aren't facing him after this year.

vCash
    This is what I saw as well. UGA has more overall talent than LSU 1-85 on the roster but less elite talent than LSU that can take over a game.
    You got it!

vCash
    If he was at State you would love this guy. He has tebow type character. He's a true leader. Yeah baseball and football not the same but if you saw the throws he made in high school and at elite 11, you would know he has the arm strength. Once he gets to open it up in the future you will see the arm strength. Like I said he's really young and we should be able to shake him up. I'm glad we aren't facing him after this year.
    We'll see. I'm naturally skeptical when the first thing people say about a player has to do with their makeup.

Don't get me wrong, makeup is extremely Important, but games are won and big plays are made by big tools and skills. In this video, I didn't see that Fromm. Perhaps I'm wrong, but don't see the acceleration of the ball out of the hand that above average arm strength guys typically have.

In one sentence, if I were paying 10 million dollars for Fromm, what am I buying?

If it takes more than 10 sec to answer that question, you normally aren't looking a real player

vCash
    We'll see. I'm naturally skeptical when the first thing people say about a player has to do with their makeup.

Don't get me wrong, makeup is extremely Important, but games are won and big plays are made by big tools and skills. In this video, I didn't see that Fromm. Perhaps I'm wrong, but don't see the acceleration of the ball out of the hand that above average arm strength guys typically have.

In one sentence, if I were paying 10 million dollars for Fromm, what am I buying?

If it takes more than 10 sec to answer that question, you normally aren't looking a real player
    I've watched him in more than one game. So I've got a much bigger sample group than ND. The kid can spin it. We can agree to disagree. Time will tell for sure and I could be dead wrong about him but I don't think so.

ETA I'm hoping we don't find out how good he is Saturday lol

vCash
    The one thing that uga will struggle with is a complete spread. In the past, we have had years that we lacked a rb or Te or Wr.. one or more were lacking. ..... small backs, TEs cant catch...

This season, we have the complete package. The subs offer more of the same. No drop off. It makes it nearly impossible to stop. Somebody will have an openning. UGA wont stop us.... WE MAY STOP OURSELVES via turnovers or Fitz not hitting the open guy.

Long story shkrt.... msu is in a better position to stop them than us
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash

Not at QB. It's between the ears ... Brady & Montana.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Looking over ND's stats and noticed Boston college ran for the same amount against ND as Georgia. It was BC's highest total of the year, 185 yards. We're a much better running team than Georgia imo
    The flip side of this is that UGA's run defense looks like it is elite and clearly better than LSU's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The flip side of this is that UGA's run defense looks like it is elite and clearly better than LSU's.
    Rewatched LSU game last night. They were down D linemen to start game (only brought 7 to game) and late middle or so of 3rd, lost 2 more due to the targeting calls. They also were very poor at setting the edge all night long. Our O-line did play pretty good tho. Reese missed some assignments here and there. Aeris and Fitz are both very good at seeing the hole and having the patience to wait for it to open up some.

Our execution was very good overall, fakes were made well, etc. And Dan called a helluva game.

Right now I'm inclined to believe we can run pretty decent on anyone on our schedule. Maybe even Bama. Not too impressed with any CFB teams yet (except Clemson) and that includes Bama. But Saban is truly relentless. He'll whip those boys into shape by the time they play us.

We might just be pretty good ourselves. I've moved back to cautiously optimistic now(from somewhat hopeful).
    Last edited by dawgday166; 09-19-2017 at 06:58 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Not at QB. It's between the ears ... Brady & Montana.
    Not in college. NFL QBs have tons more practice time and play in the same system for years.

College QBs don't have the time, football iq, or continuity with their receivers to mentally pick you apart. It's very rare at least has not something a FR would have any chance at.

vCash
    Not in college. NFL QBs have tons more practice time and play in the same system for years.

College QBs don't have the time, football iq, or continuity with their receivers to mentally pick you apart. It's very rare at least has not something a FR would have any chance at.
    Aight ... I'll give you that one somewhat. Still between the ears tho, but a larger tool set in college may be a big advantage. Fitz made good decisions the other night .. and Dan did a good job of putting him in a good position to do so.