Thread: A few of my observations from the LSU game...

vCash

A few of my observations from the LSU game...

1. Todd Grantham is a Godsend
    2. DM called a great game and was finally not conservative in a big game
    2. Fitz has come leaps and bounds in his decision making from the start of last year
    3. Why in the world has Donald Gray not been returning punts his entire time at MSU?? Is he injured now?
    4. Glad to see Mullen has finally learned to drain the play clock in a game where we have a big lead
    5. Where did this FG kicker come from?? Like what I saw
    6. Simmons is a game changer
    7. OL is really meshing, not sure if Hevesy or Looney deserves the most credit
    8. Best game atmosphere since 2014 Auburn
    9. Georgia will be a tough test for us because they will likely be the 2nd best rush defense we play behind Bama
    10. As of today we look to be the only real challenger to Bama in the West

Hail State, onward and upward!

vCash
    My responses:

1. Amen
    2. Amen
    3. Amen
    4. Amen
    5. Amen
    6. Amen
    7. Amen
    8. Amen
    9. Amen
    10. AMEN

vCash
    7. Hevesy has been here 8 years. Looney has been here 8 months. Why is it so hard to give Hevesy credit on this years' OL?

vCash
    5. From Memorial High School, Houston, TX.

He has a HUDL video out there. Apparently a TX 6A all district Kicker and Punter. I said he was a walkon above, but saw something on the internet from a couple of years ago where he announced his commitment to MSU. So, I don't know if he is on scholly or not.
    Last edited by IMissJack; 09-19-2017 at 07:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post

He has a HUDL video out there. Apparently a TX 6A all district Kicker and Punter. I said he was a walkon above, but saw something on the internet from a couple of years ago where he announced his commitment to MSU. So, I don't know if he is on scholly or not.
    His profile on HailState.com says he is a walkon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post

Well if he doesn't have one and he continues to kick the way he has been he will have a scholly by the end of the year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    His profile on HailState.com says he is a walkon

vCash
    Get that man a scholly ASAP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    2. Fitz has come leaps and bounds in his decision making from the start of last year
    3. Why in the world has Donald Gray not been returning punts his entire time at MSU?? Is he injured now?
    4. Glad to see Mullen has finally learned to drain the play clock in a game where we have a big lead
    9. Georgia will be a tough test for us because they will likely be the 2nd best rush defense we play behind Bama

Hail State, onward and upward!
    I stand by what I and many others have said about Hev for years: He's a hell of a coach and developer who gets the most of the players he has. The problem is his abrasive personality and recruiting. He's alienated every HS coach he's come into contact with and hates having to play nice to get kids to sign. It's fine to be a complete asshole in practice behind closed doors. It's another thing entirely to be that way all the time. Hev is the latter.

Fitz had a quote just yesterday where he said: "Coach Hev has been pushing them [the OL] really hard and they've been taking Coach Hev in stride." In other words, Hev is easier to take when you're winning, but he's still a complete jackass. He appears to have gotten some of the message with Looney coming onto the staff in terms of coaching. The real question is if he'll get the message in recruiting, and we won't know that until February.

Regardless, the man does a damn good job of coaching 'em up. Many of us just wish he had better players to coach up.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I stand by what I and many others have said about Hev for years: He's a hell of a coach and developer who gets the most of the players he has. The problem is his abrasive personality and recruiting. He's alienated every HS coach he's come into contact with and hates having to play nice to get kids to sign. It's fine to be a complete asshole in practice behind closed doors. It's another thing entirely to be that way all the time. Hev is the latter.

Fitz had a quote just yesterday where he said: "Coach Hev has been pushing them [the OL] really hard and they've been taking Coach Hev in stride." In other words, Hev is easier to take when you're winning, but he's still a complete jackass. He appears to have gotten some of the message with Looney coming onto the staff in terms of coaching. The real question is if he'll get the message in recruiting, and we won't know that until February.

Regardless, the man does a damn good job of coaching 'em up. Many of us just wish he had better players to coach up.
    He sounds like every OL coach I've ever known. OL & DL coaches tend to have high opinions of themselves, have a low threshold for BS, spend half their time yelling at moron kids and many of them have a hard time turning off the yell switch. Our OL and DL coaches were reviled by the players at my high school. Why? Because they were the toughest SOBs. They were drill sergeants. They made the fat ass linemen run, and run, and run some more when they screwed up. They were always yelling. They were always cursing and calling someone a fat ass dumb ass shit brained ****y. They would grunt if you said hello in the hall between class. They were not pleasant.

vCash
    8. 100% agreed. the atmosphere was absolutely electric, and I think our defense definitely fed off of it.

vCash
    My guess on why Gray hasn't been the primary punt returner, other than maybe hesitation at risking your best WR on special teams, is that he may be too aggressive in fielding punts for Mullen's tastes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    He sounds like every OL coach I've ever known. OL & DL coaches tend to have high opinions of themselves, have a low threshold for BS, spend half their time yelling at moron kids and many of them have a hard time turning off the yell switch. Our OL and DL coaches were reviled by the players at my high school. Why? Because they were the toughest SOBs. They were drill sergeants. They made the fat ass linemen run, and run, and run some more when they screwed up. They were always yelling. They were always cursing and calling someone a fat ass dumb ass shit brained ****y. They would grunt if you said hello in the hall between class. They were not pleasant.
    Ok...your HS coaches didn't have to recruit. College colleges need to be able to relate as a recruiter...he struggles with that part of the job.
    Last edited by StatesboroBlues; 09-19-2017 at 10:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    11. We took a lot of snaps from under center. I wasn't expecting that at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    11. We took a lot of snaps from under center. I wasn't expecting that at all.
    Dan's trying to show the NFL that his QB's can do that too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StatesboroBlues View Post
    Ok...your HS coaches didn't have to recruit. College colleges need to be able to relate as a recruiter...he struggles with that part of the job.
    I would bet most OL and DL coaches in college are not top recruiters - unless they are throwing around benefits (Coach O comes to mind in his USC days). It's usually your personality positions - WR coach, CB coach, maybe QB coach - who are the star recruiters. I get he struggles with it, I just don't think its that unusual for an OL or DL coach to not be a good recruiter. Maybe I'm wrong.

As a side note : If you know anything about HS football in GA - ALL the top high school teams recruit and have for 30 years or more in some cases. Player poaching is an art. It's usually limited to the HC and a couple of boosters, but there is definitely "recruiting" in HS football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I would bet most OL and DL coaches in college are not top recruiters - unless they are throwing around benefits (Coach O comes to mind in his USC days). It's usually your personality positions - WR coach, CB coach, maybe QB coach - who are the star recruiters. I get he struggles with it, I just don't think its that unusual for an OL or DL coach to not be a good recruiter. Maybe I'm wrong.

As a side note : If you know anything about HS football in GA - ALL the top high school teams recruit and have for 30 years or more in some cases. Player poaching is an art. It's usually limited to the HC and a couple of boosters, but there is definitely "recruiting" in HS football.
    Trying to compare HS recruiting to college recruiting...Nice.

As for as OL recruiting...who is asking for a top recruiter? Don't think anyone is asking for such...just don't actually turn kids/coaches/family off.

He has struggled getting top OL to even visit...been better but not enough. His HS OL class last year was a complete joke and wreaked of laziness.
    Last edited by StatesboroBlues; 09-19-2017 at 11:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StatesboroBlues View Post
    Trying to compare HS recruiting to college recruiting...Nice.

As for as OL recruiting...who is asking for a top recruiter? Don't think anyone is asking for such...just don't actually turn kids/coaches/family off.

He has struggled getting top OL to even visit...been better but not enough. His HS OL class last year was a complete joke and wreaked of laziness.
    First - I did not compare HS recruiting to college. You said HS doesn't recruit. I pointed out they do. Everybody knows it's not the same, but they are trying to identify talent and get them to play for them. It just happens to be that they are talking to the 6' 190 lbs 7th grader they think will be a great left tackle if they can convince momma to let them play instead of a 4* OL. Many times, they are still having to sweet talk mama. Or, in some cases, get them a free apartment from a booster so they are "in zone" and can play on their team.

About Hev specifically - I think he gets too much blame for a systemic failure in OL recruiting. He isn't the only one evaluating the talent and deciding who we go after, who we offer, how many we offer. He isn't the only one who decides on who we slow play and who is plan B. Mullen plays a key role in this decisions - and I'm sure others do too.