Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
I stand by what I and many others have said about Hev for years: He's a hell of a coach and developer who gets the most of the players he has. The problem is his abrasive personality and recruiting. He's alienated every HS coach he's come into contact with and hates having to play nice to get kids to sign. It's fine to be a complete asshole in practice behind closed doors. It's another thing entirely to be that way all the time. Hev is the latter.

Fitz had a quote just yesterday where he said: "Coach Hev has been pushing them [the OL] really hard and they've been taking Coach Hev in stride." In other words, Hev is easier to take when you're winning, but he's still a complete jackass. He appears to have gotten some of the message with Looney coming onto the staff in terms of coaching. The real question is if he'll get the message in recruiting, and we won't know that until February.

Regardless, the man does a damn good job of coaching 'em up. Many of us just wish he had better players to coach up.
He sounds like every OL coach I've ever known. OL & DL coaches tend to have high opinions of themselves, have a low threshold for BS, spend half their time yelling at moron kids and many of them have a hard time turning off the yell switch. Our OL and DL coaches were reviled by the players at my high school. Why? Because they were the toughest SOBs. They were drill sergeants. They made the fat ass linemen run, and run, and run some more when they screwed up. They were always yelling. They were always cursing and calling someone a fat ass dumb ass shit brained ****y. They would grunt if you said hello in the hall between class. They were not pleasant.