Thread: WMD's Armchair QB: Mauling Tigers Edition

vCash

WMD's Armchair QB: Mauling Tigers Edition

Peeps, the Mauling Tigers Edition of Armchair QB is available and Maroon & White Blog. We beat the hell out of a team that has traditionally beaten us all over the field. Y'all know the drill. Read there, comment here. I look forward to discussing the LSU beatdown with you.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    good stuff

vCash
    Did Mitchell or Todd play?

vCash
    Nice write up, WMD. Seriously, quite good.

vCash
    Good stuff! Thanks!

vCash
    I think you made a great point regarding Mullen's game plan and preparation. Several players made post-game comments to the effect that we were very well prepared and basically knew what to expect from LSU all night.

I think a lot of that has to do with Mullen finally hiring a proven DC that he can trust to do his job so Mullen can focus on the offense and overall team prep. Think back to Mullen's first year here. He had arguably the worst DC of his tenure in Carl Torbush. Mullen spent his focus that season on offensive prep and trusted Torbush to run the offense; only to see his offense perform and the defense $hit the bed. I can't blame Mullen for being "too involved" in the defense after that.

Now that he has Grantham and can put his full focus on the offense (and the team as a whole), we're seeing things we haven't seen since he's been here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    I think you made a great point regarding Mullen's game plan and preparation. Several players made post-game comments to the effect that we were very well prepared and basically knew what to expect from LSU all night.

I think a lot of that has to do with Mullen finally hiring a proven DC that he can trust to do his job so Mullen can focus on the offense and overall team prep. Think back to Mullen's first year here. He had arguably the worst DC of his tenure in Carl Torbush. Mullen spent his focus that season on offensive prep and trusted Torbush to run the offense; only to see his offense perform and the defense $hit the bed. I can't blame Mullen for being "too involved" in the defense after that.

Now that he has Grantham and can put his full focus on the offense (and the team as a whole), we're seeing things we haven't seen since he's been here.
    Excellent point. In fact, that idea might be worth it's own thread. That said, I agree with this idea. And I think it shows Mullen's growth as a coach to finally go hire a proven DC he can trust to run the D without Mullen feeling the need to look over his shoulder all the time. So big props to Mullen for going and getting Grantham. Saturday night confirmed for me what we all thought we saw the first two weeks against much lesser opposition. We're on the verge of a big run. This team is way more loaded than we all thought it might be. Just gotta get past UGA on Saturday night. If we do that, start saving all your monies, because I got a feeling we could be looking at a NY6 Bowl.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    Did Mitchell or Todd play?
    Todd did

vCash
    Shameless self-promotion bump