Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Heisman Trophy is Such A Dumb Trophy

vCash

The Heisman Trophy is Such A Dumb Award

Listening to Bo Bounds on Finebaum & Laura Rutledge just asked him if Nick Fitzgerald could win the Heisman, & Bo said:

"He's good enough but since MSU probably won't win the 10 or 11 games necessary for him to be a candidate. Dak was the best player in the country but wasn't even invited. It's should be about elevating your teammates."

My beef with the Heisman trophy is that, due to media coverage & your record being such an integral part of the voting process, we've basically narrowed it down to where only players on about 5 teams can win the Heisman.

Just seems completely stupid for the process to be so closed
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-18-2017 at 02:48 PM.

vCash
    Uh, didn't Lamar Jackson win it last year and his team only won 9 games?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yes, but it was an odd year where there really wasn't another contender.

Deshaun Watson had a bad regular season & Alabama's stars were on defense & Jabrill Peppers was as well. They tried to get Hurts in the conversation until they realized the reality of him.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes, but he is flashy. Dak just did his job and gave everyone else praise.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yes, but it was an odd year where there really wasn't another contender.

Deshaun Watson had a bad regular season & Alabama's stars were on defense & Jabrill Peppers was as well. They tried to get Hurts in the conversation until they realized the reality of him.
    The QB for Washington won the PAC12 and made the playoffs, shouldn't he have been a better candidate than Lamar? I'm just saying Bo mightve mentioned that it can happen instead of saying that. Also Robert Griffin won it too when his team wasn't even best in their conference. It can happen.

vCash
    Yep, it is a team award unless you just have more hype than anyone else. Manziel and Robert Griffin were 2 guys whose teams didn't win at that high level but they were hyped enough to win. Fitz needs to get us to 10 wins or 9 wins with 1 being Bama where he has 500 yards. It also matters if you have your "Heisman moment" at the beginning of the year like Dak did or later when voters are deciding. Dak didn't have a big win in November which is what kept him from NY. Fitz can get the spotlight over the next few weeks but Bama will decide if he gets votes.

vCash
    Oh it's definitely a popularity trophy for sure. I graduated high school with a young lady who won the Miss America title 2 years after we graduated and she wasn't even voted most beautiful at our high school or finish in the top 4. lol

vCash
    It's week 3 .. Heisman talk shouldn't even come up till mid season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Yep, it is a team award unless you just have more hype than anyone else. Manziel and Robert Griffin were 2 guys whose teams didn't win at that high level but they were hyped enough to win. Fitz needs to get us to 10 wins or 9 wins with 1 being Bama where he has 500 yards. It also matters if you have your "Heisman moment" at the beginning of the year like Dak did or later when voters are deciding. Dak didn't have a big win in November which is what kept him from NY. Fitz can get the spotlight over the next few weeks but Bama will decide if he gets votes.
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    It's week 3 .. Heisman talk shouldn't even come up till mid season
    Unless it's about an Auburn or Texas A&M QB.

vCash
    Bo, Jake and John W all want to be national sports guys. I can't hardly listen to any of the three. Non of them play football out side of pee wee and we are suppose to take what they say as fact. Chris at lunch and Jay on the drive home are good shows. They don't try to talk down to you. They are just having fun. Those first three really suck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Bo, Jake and John W all want to be national sports guys. I can't hardly listen to any of the three. Non of them play football out side of pee wee and we are suppose to take what they say as fact. Chris at lunch and Jay on the drive home are good shows. They don't try to talk down to you. They are just having fun. Those first three really suck.
    If you want to hate on the first three, go for it....But to follow that up with Brooks and Jay White being good shows? Dear god man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Yes, but he is flashy. Dak just did his job and gave everyone else praise.
    Well, we also had a late season crash and burn, so to speak, in 2014. Dak might have won it if we'd gotten past Alabama and Ole Miss, or maybe even one of those games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JDog13 View Post
    If you want to hate on the first three, go for it....But to follow that up with Brooks and Jay White being good shows? Dear god man.
    I want to be talked to, not down to and talking down to their listeners is what Bo, John and Jake do. Jay and Chris are true local call in shows. They are not trying to be Mike and Mike. It is two shows you can call into and listen to other callers. I am not saying they are super shows. But they come off as average guys you can sit down with and have a good conversation. Those other three come off as arrogant, Prima donna candy asses and you would rather Jack Slap them then to sit down with them.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 09-18-2017 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Listening to Bo Bounds on Finebaum & Laura Rutledge just asked him if Nick Fitzgerald could win the Heisman, & Bo said:

"He's good enough but since MSU probably won't win the 10 or 11 games necessary for him to be a candidate. Dak was the best player in the country but wasn't even invited. It's should be about elevating your teammates."

My beef with the Heisman trophy is that, due to media coverage & your record being such an integral part of the voting process, we've basically narrowed it down to where only players on about 5 teams can win the Heisman.

Just seems completely stupid for the process to be so closed
    If we don't have a key injury or two, if Fitzgerald is good enough to win the heisman, then we will win 10 games and probably 11.

He isn't a great player stuck on a bad team. We have a good defense and he has a good supporting staff even if we are missing a true #1 receiver. If we win 9 games, it will probably mean that while Fitz is a badass, his passing wasn't quite good enough to make teams like UGA and Auburn pay for focusing on stopping the run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I want to be talked to, not down to and talking down to their listeners is what Bo, John and Jake do. Jay and Chris are true local call in shows. They are not trying to be Mike and Mike. It is two shows you can call into and listen to other callers. I am not saying they are super shows. But they come off as average guys you can sit down with and have a good conversation. Those other three come off as arrogant, Prima donna candy asses and you would rather Jack Slap them then to sit down with them.
    Jay called state fans whiners and our whining is what got ole miss in trouble, and reflected negatively on the state. He's always hating on state. Also, sounds like he squeezes his nose the whole show. I've always thought his show was the most excrutiatingly boring hour in sports radio.

Brooks I can handle. His show is ok to listen to except for Sallee & Kellenberger Mondays, or when McCready or Garrett are on.

Banned
    vCash
    Oh it's definitely a popularity trophy for sure. I graduated high school with a young lady who won the Miss America title 2 years after we graduated and she wasn't even voted most beautiful at our high school or finish in the top 4. lol
    You go to Meridian High?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    You go to Meridian High?
    Yes I did.

Banned
    vCash
    Yes I did.
    I know who you're talking about. Very pretty, but crazy as as loon.

BTW, my sister graduated in the same class as her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    I know who you're talking about. Very pretty, but crazy as as loon.
    Lol and a bear as well