Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilton Garden Inn (Starkville) is hosting CBS Alabama weekend...

vCash

Hilton Garden Inn (Starkville) is hosting CBS Alabama weekend...

So i just called the Hilton Garden Inn in Starkville to see about availability for the Bama weekend (long shot - i know, i have a room in Westpoint and just trying to get closer).... she dropped that the hotel is booked solid and they are hosting CBS so they don't expect any cancelations...

Hosting CBS? College Gameday coming to Starkville if things play out?.... just thought it was some interesting intel to pass along...

vCash
    Just a heads up, the networks will book multiple possibilities and decide later on. They did that to us one time way back when I worked at Hotel Chester.

vCash
    It is the Alabama Network.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Just a heads up, the networks will book multiple possibilities and decide later on. They did that to us one time way back when I worked at Hotel Chester.
    Good to know... well if they do pull back... that hotel might have some last minute availability for anyone else looking.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by afranzo View Post
    So i just called the Hilton Garden Inn in Starkville to see about availability for the Bama weekend (long shot - i know, i have a room in Westpoint and just trying to get closer).... she dropped that the hotel is booked solid and they are hosting CBS so they don't expect any cancelations...

Hosting CBS? College Gameday coming to Starkville if things play out?.... just thought it was some interesting intel to pass along...
    I'm sure CBS books hotels months in advance for multiple locations on the same gameday before schedules are finalized. They'll just cancel the rooms there if it ends up being picked up by another network. The rooms mentioned to you over the phone by the hotel staff were probably booked like 8 months ago. That being said, I'd imagine we would definitely be the CBS game if we have one loss or are undefeated heading into the game. We may also be on CBS next weekend against Auburn if we win in Athens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    I'm sure CBS books hotels months in advance for multiple locations on the same gameday before schedules are finalized. They'll just cancel the rooms there if it ends up being picked up by another network. The rooms mentioned to you over the phone by the hotel staff were probably booked like 8 months ago. That being said, I'd imagine we would definitely be the CBS game if we have one loss or are undefeated heading into the game. We may also be on CBS next weekend against Auburn if we win in Athens.
    Think it's already been confirmed we're the primetime ESPN game next weekend.

vCash
    It's not as far out as you might think. But they will build a relationship with those hotels and ask them to hold certain weekends early. They won't actually book until closer and even then the bookings won't be finalized until they know how many people are coming that will need rooms. You would be surprised how few full time network employees are on the broadcast team. It's usually just talent and a few others. Everybody else is one day contractors from various local stations.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    Think it's already been confirmed we're the primetime ESPN game next weekend.
    We are primetime ESPN against UGA. I'm talking Auburn. That one doesn't get announced until later today. The only other competition is UGA-UT, which loses a lot of appeal if we beat UGA this weekend.

vCash
    Already announced 6 pm on ESPN at Auburn.

vCash
    My friend is a GM at a hotel in Oxford (He is not a UM fan) anyways all these television networks will call ahead of times and book rooms for possible weekends. I guarantee you CBS has called 3 other SEC cities too on the same weekend. Not saying don't expect CBS or Gameday to be here just how those companies work.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    Already announced 6 pm on ESPN at Auburn.
    It must have been announced before ESPN updated their schedule on the website then. That is surprising. It's a really weak lineup of games outside of MSU-Auburn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by afranzo View Post

Just curious ... let's say you alreay had a room there, and then CBS decided to come in. Would they kick you out of your room in favor of them?

I always stay in Columbus. It's a lot less hassle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Just curious ... let's say you alreay had a room there, and then CBS decided to come in. Would they kick you out of your room in favor of them?

I always stay in Columbus. It's a lot less hassle.
    It works the other way around. CBS books rooms at hotels in several different locations, then they cancel the ones they end up not choosing.

Banned
    vCash
    I'd rather have the primetime game on ESPN than the 2:30 game on CBS. Much rather listen to Blackledge and Tessitore than Dickheadson and Nessler. 3 weeks in a row in the primetime slot on ESPN is awesome!

vCash
    For the Bama weekend, doesn't CBS have rights to do a double-header one Saturday a year. If that game turned out as big as it could, could be looking at a Saturday night and on CBS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I'd rather have the primetime game on ESPN than the 2:30 game on CBS. Much rather listen to Blackledge and Tessitore than Dickheadson and Nessler. 3 weeks in a row in the primetime slot on ESPN is awesome!
    I sure hope Bama is a night game....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Everybody else is one day contractors from various local stations.
    The networks will also use the staff and equipment of the Television Center. Several games in the early 80s were completly produced by the TV Center for ABC or CBS. If necessary they will also get certain students to help. When MSU games were televised in the early 80s I would work as a statistician or spotter for the networks. I was asked because the Athletic Department knew me from being Reflector sports editor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejlector84sports View Post
    The networks will also use the staff and equipment of the Television Center. Several games in the early 80s were completly produced by the TV Center for ABC or CBS. If necessary they will also get certain students to help. When MSU games were televised in the early 80s I would work as a statistician or spotter for the networks. I was asked because the Athletic Department knew me from being Reflector sports editor.
    What sport was it when the "announcers" were actually in Florida but were calling the game by remote control? Basketball? It was just a couple years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejlector84sports View Post
    That's not the case anymore. Football is the only sport now that isn't covered by the in house crew. Yes, ESPN or CBS will get students to be utility or hold parab mics on the sideline, but just about everyone else is freelance, being brought in from out of town. When it comes to all the other sports, there are a few key positions that are run by full time university employees, or freelance with years of experience, but those are all in the control room. As far as cameras, utility, and everything else in the arena, it's students. The TV Center is in no way affiliated with sports anymore. That happened with the start of the SEC Network. When I was a student, I did player interviews for the John Cohen show and also directed the short lived Sports Zone while working at the TV Center, so yes, it was affiliated at one time. But once the SEC Network was born, it all shifted over to the athletic department. I would know, I work on the broadcast crew for 4-5 years, including the first two of the SEC Network+.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    I sure hope Bama is a night game....
    Yes sir!