Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Week For Fitz, Abram, Sweat, & Grantham

vCash

Big Week For Fitz, Abram, Sweat, & Grantham

I think we are a really good football team, but we will need some extra juice this week in order to avoid a let-down after getting sky high to play LSU.

I'm hoping that the leadership & maturity of this team is at a level that will allow us to play consistent, physical football.

However, I'm also hoping that this game is so important to Fitz (Georgia boy), Abram (Former UGA player), Grantham (Former UGA DC), & Sweat (Georgia boy) that they bring some extra juice this week in practice.

We'll need to play at or above the level we played vs LSU to win Saturday night.

The ability to play well week after week after week is what I've always been impressed with about Alabama's program. That is what championship teams do.

This team has done an awesome job of handling adversity after being a dumpster fire on defense last season, but now it's about handling prosperity, which many times is far more difficult for 18-22 year olds to handle than adversity. Can they handle standing ovations in class this morning? Can they handle everyone coming over in the cafeteria & patting them on the shoulder? Can they handle the hot chick that now wants to meet them? Can they handle the praise from message boards & the the national media? Can they find a way to keep their mind on the basics & fundamentals of THIS game & not give in to the urge to look ahead & wonder "what if" like us fans do?

Big week & we need these Georgia guys to step up
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-18-2017 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    Fitz has had this game circled on the calendar since he enrolled at State. He wanted to go to UGA and UGA didn't give him the time of day.

Abram got benched at the end of his FR year at UGA. He will be ready and will have our D ready.
    And don't forget Chauncey - he will be in everyone's ear this week too.

And Grantham - they ran him out of town after had them at the #3 D in the country a couple of years earlier.

We ready ready.

vCash
    I don't think it's going to take much to fire them up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think we are a really good football team, but we will need some extra juice this week in order to avoid a let-down after getting sky high to play LSU.

I'm hoping that the leadership & maturity of this team is at a level that will allow us to play consistent, physical football.

However, I'm also hoping that this game is so important to Fitz (Georgia boy), Abram (Former UGA player), Grantham (Former UGA DC), & Sweat (Georgia boy) that they bring some extra juice this week in practice.

We'll need to play at or above the level we played vs LSU to win Saturday night.

The ability to play well week after week after week is what I've always been impressed with about Alabama's program. That is what championship teams do.

This team has done an awesome job of handling adversity after being a dumpster fire on defense last season, but now it's about handling prosperity, which many times is far more difficult for 18-22 year olds to handle than adversity. Can they handle standing ovations in class this morning? Can they handle everyone coming over in the cafeteria & patting them on the shoulder? Can they handle the hot chick that now wants to meet them? Can they handle the praise from message boards & the the national media? Can they find a way to keep their mind on the basics & fundamentals of THIS game & not give in to the urge to look ahead & wonder "what if" like us fans do?

Agree with all of the above except the bolded statement. We can play significantly worse than we did Saturday and still win that game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Agree with all of the above except the bolded statement. We can play significantly worse than we did Saturday and still win that game.
    I find it interesting that you and Brunswick (Georgia residents) feel so good about this game.

vCash

That is the most impressive thing about Saban, he keeps grinding every day even when he is at the top. It is human nature to want to let up once you reach the pinnacle. Saban just goes right back to work. The day after the championship, he treats it like the first day of the new season. That drive without burning out is the most impressive thing to me.

vCash

I really like our chances in this game. The question isn't "Can we stop their offense?" We absolutely can. The question should be "Can they stop our offense?" And honestly, I don't think they can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    That is the most impressive thing about Saban, he keeps grinding every day even when he is at the top. It is human nature to want to let up once you reach the pinnacle. Saban just goes right back to work. The day after the championship, he treats it like the first day of the new season. That drive without burning out is the most impressive thing to me.
    No doubt. We play them the week after they play LSU most every year and they are never flat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I find it interesting that you and Brunswick (Georgia residents) feel so good about this game.
    It's just Georgia telepathy.

I have watched Georgia, and I know about a lot of their players. They are very talented, but it's a mix of youth and inexperience in some spots (their starters are mostly upperclassmen but they have a lot of Fr and So who play) and others who haven't quite lived up to the hype, like Lorenzo Carter and Trenton Thompson. And their OL has been an issue at times.

And Smart is a good coach, but I'm still not sure how good. Their offense doesn't scare me at all, even with their RB talent. And our offense can move the ball on just about anybody.
    Last edited by smootness; 09-18-2017 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I can't speak for Smoot - but, I still follow UGA fairly closely. I was raised on UGA in the Herschel era, believed Vince Dooley sat at the right hand of the father, thought Erk Russell was the toughest SOB on the planet, could recite Larry Munson's famous calls like "end around to Applebee" "my God a Freshman" and "Run Lindsey" and had Dave Perno as my UGA Baseball camp counselor. Almost all my friends Bleed that Red and Black - including my parents.

My confidence comes from the fact that my UGA friends that really know football are dead ass silent about this game. They know the OL is suspect. They know that Fromm is green. They are not sure if Kirby Smart is the second coming of Saban, or the second coming of Ray Goff. They know that Michel and Chubb have injury histories and a lot of miles on them. They know that the east is weak and are already wondering if Kentucky or Vandy will be the inexplicable loss of the season - or God forbid they lose both. They know we are hungry, and they are already looking for this season's disappointment. They project the confidence of Alabama coming into the game, but in their gut they know they aren't.

I think we win by 2 touchdowns, if not more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I can't speak for Smoot - but, I still follow UGA fairly closely. I was raised on UGA in the Herschel era, believed Vince Dooley sat at the right hand of the father, thought Erk Russell was the toughest SOB on the planet, could recite Larry Munson's famous calls like "end around to Applebee" "my God a Freshman" and "Run Lindsey" and had Dave Perno as my UGA Baseball camp counselor. Almost all my friends Bleed that Red and Black - including my parents.

My confidence comes from the fact that my UGA friends that really know football are dead ass silent about this game. They know the OL is suspect. They know that Fromm is green. They are not sure if Kirby Smart is the second coming of Saban, or the second coming of Ray Goff. They know that Michel and Chubb have injury histories and a lot of miles on them. They know that the east is weak and are already wondering if Kentucky or Vandy will be the inexplicable loss of the season - or God forbid they lose both. They know we are hungry, and they are already looking for this season's disappointment. They project the confidence of Alabama coming into the game, but in their gut they know they aren't.

Yep. I was never a UGA fan, but I did go there for a few years and know and work with a bunch of diehards. I've asked several if they're worried about Saturday and all they will say is, 'Yes.' They are not confident in what they have this year, especially with Eason down, and they are very concerned about us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yep. I was never a UGA fan, but I did go there for a few years and know and work with a bunch of diehards. I've asked several if they're worried about Saturday and all they will say is, 'Yes.' They are not confident in what they have this year, especially with Eason down, and they are very concerned about us.
    If we stop the run and force Fromm to try and win the game then it might be a great day to be a Maroon bulldog.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    I really like our chances in this game. The question isn't "Can we stop their offense?" We absolutely can. The question should be "Can they stop our offense?" And honestly, I don't think they can.
    I like our match up because of this. I think most of the pressure is on them.

Their RBs will be the best duo we've seen, but our front 7 is so disruptive they won't have many chances to break one.
    Last edited by Political Hack; 09-18-2017 at 10:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

Their RBs will be the best duo we've seen, but our front 7 is so disruptive they won't have many chances to break one.
    Best duo but Guice is the best RB in the SEC normally.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

Excellent summary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

Our front will definitely blow plays up, so our LB's and safeties will need to play disciplined and take good angles.

vCash
    Now I'm gonna throw this out there just for the 17 of it.

It was a big rumor that Dan wanted the UGA job. It was rumored to be one of those jobs he'd leave us for. They passed on him and hired Smart.

If this is true then this game will be Mullen coaching his ass off to show them "You coulda had me." I fully expect Dan to coach circles around Smart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Now I'm gonna throw this out there just for the 17 of it.

It was a big rumor that Dan wanted the UGA job. It was rumored to be one of those jobs he'd leave us for. They passed on him and hired Smart.

If this is true then this game will be Mullen coaching his ass off to show them "You coulda had me." I fully expect Dan to coach circles around Smart.
    Yup. Good point

Banned
    vCash
    Great news is, if we do beat them, and they start the We Want Mullen stuff, it won't matter until after 2018 because they aren't firing Smart yet. And 2018 might be our most talented football team in my lifetime. I'm not thinking about anything beyond that.

vCash
    I live in Atlanta and the UGA grads here are quite nervous.

To quote one, "I hate that we're the next team that has to play them. We can only hope for a letdown after such a big win"