Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simmons, Cox, McKinney, Wright, Jones

vCash

Simmons, Cox, McKinney, Wright, Jones

Is Simmons better (in college) than the rest of this list? These are all-pro type guys and I can't remember any of them being more dominant than he has been so far. Maybe Cox. I know it's early in his career, but I think he will move to the top of this list. If the draft were tomorrow, I don't think it's crazy to say he would go in the first (if he was eligible, and I know he's not).

vCash
    Cox was really dominate & CJ had a great JR year, but right now Simmons is playing at a disruptive level that is probably better than any of those guy ever played.

That being said, I think teams are clearly going to start scheming to stop Simmons & it will cause his production to fall off while allowing others to tick up.

vCash
    Simmons is the best DL in the SEC. I think he is better than Cox was as a Soph.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    As a Soph no doubt he is better. Cox Jr year he was filthy & Chris had a really good 2nd half of his Jr season. If Simmons continues on his path he could be the best out of the bunch though & challenge Fletcher as highest draft pick under Mullen.

vCash
    As good as that list is - I think you are leaving off the most disruptive front 7 player we have had (until now) in the Dan Mullen era -

Preston Smith - he was our D in 2014 - with 9 sacks, 15 TFLs, 2 INTs (one a pick 6), 3 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles

The thing that I think Grantham has done (which Collins did to a lesser extent) is he is building his scheme around letting our guys attack. The difference between him and Collins is that Collins would back down with a lead. Grantham doesn't know how to back down. I really fear for Fromm's this weekend. Grantham will have our guys going full bore to remind the UGA's what his D can do.

vCash
    Yes, unequivocally yes.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    As good as that list is - I think you are leaving off the most disruptive front 7 player we have had (until now) in the Dan Mullen era -

Preston Smith - he was our D in 2014 - with 9 sacks, 15 TFLs, 2 INTs (one a pick 6), 3 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles

The thing that I think Grantham has done (which Collins did to a lesser extent) is he is building his scheme around letting our guys attack. The difference between him and Collins is that Collins would back down with a lead. Grantham doesn't know how to back down. I really fear for Fromm's this weekend. Grantham will have our guys going full bore to remind the UGA's what his D can do.
    Preston Smith was extremely good and very productive. But he wasn't as disruptive as Cox.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Preston Smith was extremely good and very productive. But he wasn't as disruptive as Cox.
    Also I thought he did not start clicking until his last season. All I know is I am happy Simmons chose State. He wasn't a fool like AJ and the other guys who believed Freeze and signed with ole miss.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 09-18-2017 at 09:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Looking at the stats, I'd argue he was just as disruptive. Cox had 5 sacks, 14.5 TFL, no INTs, no PDF's, 1 FF his Jr. year (final year). I know everything doesn't show on a stat sheet on DL - but what made Preston so disruptive (and why he is now a LB in the NFL) was his speed and ability to drop back into pass defense. Cox was a much more of a true DE while Smith was a hybrid.

vCash
    Looking at the stats, I'd argue he was just as disruptive. Cox had 5 sacks, 14.5 TFL, no INTs, no PDF's, 1 FF his Jr. year (final year). I know everything doesn't show on a stat sheet on DL - but what made Preston so disruptive (and why he is now a LB in the NFL) was his speed and ability to drop back into pass defense. Cox was a much more of a true DE while Smith was a hybrid.
    Cox played on the interior, he wasn't on the edge.

And we'll just disagree. Cox's numbers don't come close to his impact, in the same way you're not going to see Simmons rack up tons and tons of sacks, but he'll blow up plays constantly.

Cox blew up so many plays from the inside.

vCash
    A switch flipped for Preston his senior year. He was good his junior year but outstanding his senior year. He is still doing great in the NFL. Simmons is not only being extremely disruptive but also seems to be a leader that the other guys weren't as sophomores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyper View Post
    Simmons is the best DL in the SEC. I think he is better than Cox was as a Soph.
    Agree. He's the best Soph DT we've had in my lifetime.

vCash
    Can't look at the stats to compare an end to an interior DL.

Simmons looks to be more or less as disruptive as any other DL we've had, but he's doing it as a sophomore. The only excuse I can come up with to pump the brakes is that LSU was starting a true freshman at OG, so maybe that was a better matchup than against other SEC teams, even ones with weaker OLs over all. Even if that's true though, he's still looked dominant enough that I think we can count on him being gone after next year unless he just loves college football.

vCash
    Well, the thing with Simmons right now is that he allows us to get pressure without numbers. He is taking on 2 blockers almost every play, so we can rush 4 vs 5 and still get one on one matchups everywhere else. Plus he is still beating 2 people sometimes! His swim move is good early in the games, but his bullrush becomes unstoppable late in the game when everyone is tired. They said he is over 300 lbs. He is the leanest 300 lbs I have ever seen. I would've guessed 265 or less. If he is really around 315, he could probably still play at 350. He is just a freak.

vCash
    I know he played some basketball in HS. Can you imagine trying to block him out for a rebound?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    A switch flipped for Preston his senior year. He was good his junior year but outstanding his senior year. He is still doing great in the NFL. Simmons is not only being extremely disruptive but also seems to be a leader that the other guys weren't as sophomores.
    Definitely. I don't want to sound like I was comparing what Preston did to being equal to or greater than Simmons. I really can't think of an interior guy we have had in the past 25 years who has done what Simmons is doing - and doing it as a freaking sophomore. I hate that we will lose him after next year.

vCash
    Cox took off plays. Simmons doesn't. That's the difference. Simmons has the highest rev motor I've seen since Ed Smith.

vCash

OMG!

vCash
    Simmons is the best I've seen imo. His game reminds me of Ndamukong Sue. He's got the nasty attitude, nasty in a good way, not like Sue. Freakish athletic ability, he's smart and he must have lungs like 55 gallon drums. He has a motor that just won't quit! He goes as hard in the 4th quarter as he does the 1st. Just unbelievable!

vCash
    The best I have ever seen at State was Johnnie Cooks. He played LB so it's not an apples to apples comparison but Simmons isn't to that level......yet. He shows every sign that he will get there. I'm to young to remember DD Lewis at State.