Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Mixon was huge last night...

vCash

Keith Mixon was huge last night...

He had a hell of a game. I just watched the replay and hadn't noticed how clutch he was all game long. Also Deddrick Thomas came up huge on a few plays including his TD. Considering we don't have any WR's we have some guys who can catch the ball.

vCash
    I think our receivers are good but we just don't have a lot of length. Most of them are better suited for the slot position. We do have a couple of guys like Couch, Todd, and Mitchell that have length but they are still developing. That's why we're using Jordan Thomas outside at WR some even though he's listed at 280 and probably profiles better as a TE. An example from the LSU game was when we tried to throw it deep to Gray against LSU- it got knocked away but I think next year Guidry, Heath or even one of the guys developing would have likely caught it because he would have been able to use his size to either catch the ball or draw a pass interference.

We're scheming around it as best as we can- like I said with Thomas and then it seems like we run a lot of crossing routes to help get our smaller guys open.

vCash
    Did you watch Mixon block? That lil son of gun can seal an edge. He's a really good run blocker. Our receivers are extremely unselfish.

vCash
    We're playing like New England in that we feature different players each week. Teams will never know who is going to be the go to receiver until it is too late. Plus the TEs create mismatches. I love it.

BTW, I love that Mullen primarily RTGDFB just like I like it. Mullen was masterful. Keep it up!!!
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Dirty Red. He's Tubby with more top end speed.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    We're playing like New England in that we feature different players each week. Teams will never know who is going to be the go to receiver until it is too late. Plus the TEs create mismatches. I love it.

BTW, I love that Mullen primarily RTGDFB just like I like it. Mullen was masterful. Keep it up!!!
    Exactly! Its what I love about the way Dan is running things. We have different game plan each week with each player doing their part, not one player that you can key on(othere than Fitz).

vCash
    Deddrick should have had another TD on the ball that Fitz over threw. He had a hell of a game.

vCash
    Mixon and Deddrick have both been impressive. I think we see Dan open up the playbook even more with those 2 going forward. Man when I think about the offensive weapons that we have, who does an opponent key on? We got Fitz, Aeris, Lee, Kylin, Gibson in the backfield. We got Gray, Mixon, Thomas and Gabe in the receiving corps. We got Jordan Thomas, Farrod and even Justin Johnson at TE. I may be leaving out somebody, but seriously who do you stop if you're an opposing DC?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    I love D. Thomas. He is VERY high energy and is always hyped to the max!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Mixon and Deddrick have both been impressive. I think we see Dan open up the playbook even more with those 2 going forward. Man when I think about the offensive weapons that we have, who does an opponent key on? We got Fitz, Aeris, Lee, Kylin, Gibson in the backfield. We got Gray, Mixon, Thomas and Gabe in the receiving corps. We got Jordan Thomas, Farrod and even Justin Johnson at TE. I may be leaving out somebody, but seriously who do you stop if you're an opposing DC?
    I don't remember a jet sweep or reverse of any kind either. Mixon and Deddrick could take one to the house on any spot on the field. The amazing thing was that we didn't show too much against LSU. There wasn't too many plays that you haven't seen from us a hundred times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I don't remember a jet sweep or reverse of any kind either. Mixon and Deddrick could take one to the house on any spot on the field. The amazing thing was that we didn't show too much against LSU. There wasn't too many plays that you haven't seen from us a hundred times.
    Great points! You noticed that too. Our running plays were very standard run plays, nothing exotic and they still couldn't stop us. Some zone read, a couple of straight QB runs, some counters, just plain ole vanilla runs. That's the exciting part, we stuffed it down their throat without any deception at all. We just plain whipped them at the line of scrimmage, which makes us that much more dangerous going forward.

ETA and the right side of the line with Calhoun and Reese absolutely whipped the dl's butt all night. On Fitz's first td run Calhoun and Reese absolutely collapsed that side of the line.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 09-18-2017 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    Great points! You noticed that too. Our running plays were very standard run plays, nothing exotic and they still couldn't stop us. Some zone read, a couple of straight QB runs, some counters, just plain ole vanilla runs. That's the exciting part, we stuffed it down their throat without any deception at all. We just plain whipped them at the line of scrimmage, which makes us that much more dangerous going forward.

ETA and the right side of the line with Calhoun and Reese absolutely whipped the dl's butt all night. On Fitz's first td run Calhoun and Reese absolutely collapsed that side of the line.
    Loved seeing Mullen finally bring the counter back. It was money with Boobie in '09, don't remember seeing it since until last weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Loved seeing Mullen finally bring the counter back. It was money with Boobie in '09, don't remember seeing it since until last weekend.
    Boobie was a beast on the counter! I bet we ran it a million times against UK that year! He took it to the house on that counter play a bunch that year.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    It was a staple with Ballard.

vCash

Reese is playing fantastic for a freshman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    Keith Mixon was huge last night...
    Not one single "that's what she said."

You guys are slipping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    There were a couple of wrinkles that I liked that we added. We ran the counter that La Tech ran against us and I liked that. I mentioned that to my friends in Ruston when I was watching the game. We also ran an empty set with two TE's and two WR's and Aeris lined up as a WR and got a big first down out of it to Farrod Green. We also used a lot of bunch formations and we continue to see more and more pro style things- of course the play action pass on third and two to a WIDE open Mixon for a TD was off of pro-style formation.

We also had a set which was a two back set but Deddrick was lined up as a RB and we ran either a corner or a wheel route to him and he was open but we overthrew it early in the game.

I think Dear is the guy that when healthy is the best at the reverses and jet sweeps. The fact that we have a lot of small WR's probably limits our blocking on the perimeter on those kinds of plays plus I'm not sure how Jordan Thomas would be running a reverse because I could see that taking a looooonnnngggg time to develop. Those are all probably factors as to why we haven't seen many of those this year.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    There were a couple of wrinkles that I liked that we added. We ran the counter that La Tech ran against us and I liked that. I mentioned that to my friends in Ruston when I was watching the game. We also ran an empty set with two TE's and two WR's and Aeris lined up as a WR and got a big first down out of it to Farrod Green. We also used a lot of bunch formations and we continue to see more and more pro style things- of course the play action pass on third and two to a WIDE open Mixon for a TD was off of pro-style formation.

We also had a set which was a two back set but Deddrick was lined up as a RB and we ran either a corner or a wheel route to him and he was open but we overthrew it early in the game.

I think Dear is the guy that when healthy is the best at the reverses and jet sweeps. The fact that we have a lot of small WR's probably limits our blocking on the perimeter on those kinds of plays plus I'm not sure how Jordan Thomas would be running a reverse because I could see that taking a looooonnnngggg time to develop. Those are all probably factors as to why we haven't seen many of those this year.
    That 2 back set with Deddrick in the backfield we ran against Charleston Southern. We ran it when Deddrick caught his TD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    That 2 back set with Deddrick in the backfield we ran against Charleston Southern. We ran it when Deddrick caught his TD.
    Creates the mismatch with more than likely a lb trying to cover Thomas coming out of the backfield. No contest on that one.

vCash
    Biggest difference was the ol doing their job... a lot of similar stuff with a few wrinkles. The guys are just executing at a higher level. Amazing how that works when the guys execute.