Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix - What are you watching / Have watched master thread

vCash

Netflix - What are you watching / Have watched master thread

Atypical

Watched the whole first season last night... Really enjoyed it.
    My wife's little brother is very much like the main character so it was really funny at times. The actor did an amazing job portraying an autistic kid.
    Evidently it was a big hit and will be renewed for a 2nd season with 10 episodes. Check it out.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 09-18-2017 at 10:04 PM.

vCash
    Watched it about 3 weeks ago. Excellent show. I have a close friend with a 6 year old autistic boy who recommended it to us.

Netflix has rolled out some high quality shows.

Have you checked our Ozark?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Watched it about 3 weeks ago. Excellent show. I have a close friend with a 6 year old autistic boy who recommended it to us.

Netflix has rolled out some high quality shows.

Have you checked our Ozark?

Nope thinks it's on my list..

Need to bump or recreate the netflix thread so people can give more suggestions

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Norseman, British comedy about Vikings.

vCash
    I want to watch Norseman.

We've recently finished The Last Kingdom, Foyle's War, La Esclava Blanca, and am currently watching 'Allo, 'Allo.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Just watched the first season of "Master of None" it was pretty funny. Really good..
    If you liked the movie "The big sick" that came out recently... you will like it.

vCash
    Watching "The White Helmets" now.. Just so sad what is going on a world away...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Watching "The White Helmets" now.. Just so sad what is going on a world away...
    I haven't watched the show but I read an article and those people are real heroes. The word Heroes probably gets thrown around too much now but it fits with what they are doing. I couldn't imagine living in that type of environment and doing what they are.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    (This turned out way, way longer than I originally intended. Woops.)

The White Helmets is incredibly moving and well worth a watch. If you're like me and are only vaguely up to speed on world news, it's an eye-opener as well.

In a similar vein, the 2010 documentary Restrepo on Netflix is a must-see. It's about a group of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. Moving, informative, well-produced, exciting, funny, and everything else you could hope for in a movie featuring our troops.

There are so many options on Netflix these days that it's hard to keep up. I think I spend more time scouring the service's enormous library than actually watching its content. I really, really need to use the "My List" function more than I do.

Right now, the only series we're watching on Netflix is GLOW. It's alright, but nothing that's going to blow you away. Not a bad option if you're looking for an amusing 30-minute show that doesn't require you to invest too much attention or thought.

In the past year or so, though, I've watched a few series on Netflix, including Rectify, the first season and a half of Love, Making a Murderer, the first season and a half of Broadchurch, and Detectorists. All are solid in their own way.

Rectify is one of the better shows I've seen anywhere in recent memory and I highly recommend it. A southern drama about a dude released from prison after DNA evidence overturned his murder conviction. Set -- and filmed -- in a small, Georgia town, created and directed by a southern actor (the "bona fide suitor" from Oh Brother Where Art Thou), and stars mostly southern actors. It's totally character driven and isn't fast-paced or action packed. It's just good.

Love is a comedy about twentysomethings who suck at relationships. It's produced by Judd Apatow, and it reminds me a little of some of his older stuff. Check the trailer out to see who's in it. (The chick who played "Britta" on Community is the female lead, but I don't remember what all the main dude was in.) It's funny and easy to watch. I sort of trailed off as the second season was winding down, but I'm sure I'll revisit it later.

I assume I don't need to pump Making a Murderer to anyone. It's as interesting and engaging as you've heard.

Broadchurch is a well-produced and well-acted murder mystery focused on law enforcement in a small, tourist town on the coast of England. If you're into shows about crime or police, it's worth a look.

Detectorists is hard to describe in a way that makes it sound worthwhile, but it really is a great show. It's a comedy set in rural England and is about, well, two dudes who spend their free time out in the English countryside looking for stuff with their metal detectors. It's charming, lighthearted, funny, and well done across the board.

Oh yeah, and I've watched all the Marvel shows on Netflix, including the newest installment, The Defenders. If anyone wants my two cents on them, let me know.

As for movies, there are a ton that are on my list to watch, but like I said before, I seem to scan through them all more frequently that I watch any of them. I did watch Dr. Strange fairly recently. It was one of the better Marvel movies I've seen. And the effects were pretty damn incredible. (I should note, though, that I'm into the more tripped out side of Marvel's stuff than others may be, so Dr. Strange appealed to me more than most of the other franchises Marvel produces. (If it's any indication, I'm a big fan of the show Legion.))

Two random Netflix recs and I'll end my novel:

The Third Man. One of my favorite movies ever. WWII-era film noir. Great cast, incredibly filmed, and the single-instrument score is perfect.

Peep Show. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. It's a British comedy filmed in the first-person, so it takes a few episodes to get your bearings. Just funny as hell though.

vCash
    I'm going to throw in Amazon Prime shows too -

Sneaky Pete - excellent show created by Bryan Cranston. The story arc is stellar. Maybe Giovanni Ribisi's best role. Cranston is a bad-ass again. Maybe the best show I've seen this year.

Transparent - get past any hangups someone may have about trans anything and it is a hilarious show about an incredibly dysfunctional family. It's probably not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Fortitude - just started last night and I'm not sold on it yet. Murder and pathogen exposure in Iceland above the arctic circle. Interesting cast with Michael Gambon, Christopher Eccelston, Stanley Tucci, and at some point Dennis Quaid ( he hasn't been in the first 2 shows). a B Sky B show.

On Netflix - Stranger Things - If you were a late 70s/early 80s kid you have to watch this show. It's almost like a Stephen King version of The Goonies. Makes me miss my BMX Huffy, tape decks, and Tales from the Crypt.

vCash
    Stranger Things - If you were a late 70s/early 80s kid you have to watch this show. It's almost like a Stephen King version of The Goonies. Makes me miss my BMX Huffy, tape decks, and Tales from the Crypt.
    Can't believe I forgot about that one. It's awesome. I'm stoked for the second season, which I think hits in a just a few weeks.

Sneaky Pete sounds great. Love Bryan Cranston, and I remember enjoying Ribisi back in the day. Makes me wish I had Amazon Prime.

vCash
    The Punisher is coming out sometime this year, have high hopes for that one.

vCash
    I also watched Atypical, good show.

I highly recommend "Hell On Wheels". Cullen Bohannon is one bad dude! The Sweed may be the best villain I have seen on TV, you will learn to hate that 17'er. Gets long the last season is the only negative.

The Last Kingdom is good, but I had read the books before the show started. Only two seasons out so far, but should have a few to follow to keep up with the books.

vCash
    I'm going to throw in Amazon Prime shows too -

Sneaky Pete - excellent show created by Bryan Cranston. The story arc is stellar. Maybe Giovanni Ribisi's best role. Cranston is a bad-ass again. Maybe the best show I've seen this year.

Transparent - get past any hangups someone may have about trans anything and it is a hilarious show about an incredibly dysfunctional family. It's probably not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Fortitude - just started last night and I'm not sold on it yet. Murder and pathogen exposure in Iceland above the arctic circle. Interesting cast with Michael Gambon, Christopher Eccelston, Stanley Tucci, and at some point Dennis Quaid ( he hasn't been in the first 2 shows). a B Sky B show.

On Netflix - Stranger Things - If you were a late 70s/early 80s kid you have to watch this show. It's almost like a Stephen King version of The Goonies. Makes me miss my BMX Huffy, tape decks, and Tales from the Crypt.

I don't currently have a Netflix subscription but I will get one for the new season of Stranger Things. It was a fantastic show and I hope season 2 doesn't disappoint.

As far as the Marvel shows, I loved Daredevil season 1 and I watched half of Jessica Jones and just didn't get into it. I might break down and binge finish it. I liked Luke Cage and Iron Fist comics when I was young so I would like to see how they did them. Anyone have an opinion on the Defenders? So far it has the worst ratings of the rest but I know a lot of people didn't enjoy Iron Fist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rolodawg View Post
    I also watched Atypical, good show.

I highly recommend "Hell On Wheels". Cullen Bohannon is one bad dude! The Sweed may be the best villain I have seen on TV, you will learn to hate that 17'er. Gets long the last season is the only negative.

The Last Kingdom is good, but I had read the books before the show started. Only two seasons out so far, but should have a few to follow to keep up with the books.
    It looks similar to Deadwood in a way which is a great thing imo. I just haven't given it a chance.

vCash
    If you could binge watch one show out of 2 choices which do you pick: Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy?

Also, is Black Sails worth watching the whole thing? I have seen season 1 and part of 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    As far as the Marvel shows, I loved Daredevil season 1 and I watched half of Jessica Jones and just didn't get into it. I might break down and binge finish it. I liked Luke Cage and Iron Fist comics when I was young so I would like to see how they did them. Anyone have an opinion on the Defenders? So far it has the worst ratings of the rest but I know a lot of people didn't enjoy Iron Fist.
    I never read any of the comics behind Netflix's Marvel shows, but here's my take:

I think that Daredevil's second season, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are all worth checking out, though each stumbled in different ways. The hellbent secrecy and day-to-day actions of the main dude in Daredevil were fine in Season 1, but became hammy and disjointed in Season 2. (Huzzah for the arrival of the Punisher, though.) The berserker ex-special ops character in Jessica Jones was just plain dumb, and, like you, I struggled on the back half of the show. (I stopped watching altogether with two episodes left and had to come back almost a year later to cap it off.) And Luke Cage flopped around a bit once the main villain came into focus later in the season.

That said, if you liked the first season of Daredevil, you'll dig the second season as well. I didn't like it quite as much as the first, but it's still solid. Jessica Jones ends well enough, I guess, and you should probably finish it since you've already invested the time on the front end. And Luke Cage is solid and worth a look. After Daredevil, I think I like it the best of Netflix's Marvel shows.

Iron Fist . . . . Yeah, it's not so good. I honestly think that it starts off well enough. The premise is no less interesting to me than that of the other Marvel shows on Netflix, and the first couple or three episodes progress well enough. The acting seemed about on par with what you'd expect, though one or two of the American accents are grating. (What's the deal with all the Brits in these shows cast as Americans? And if they're the best fit for the roles, why not just make them be damn British?) The fighting is fine. And one of the female leads -- the Iron Fist's eventual love interest and fellow kung fu savant -- is not only solid in her role but is also fairly easy on the eyes. (She was one of the "Sand Snakes" in Game of Thrones, if that gives you any idea.)

But the show starts to derail as you reach the mid-point of the season, and eventually it just falls off the tracks. In fact, a couple of times later on, it has some laughably bad moments. The story and writing had pitfalls to be sure, but for me one of the main culprits was the lead character's flip from "chill warrior monk struggling to control his understandably strong desire for revenge" to "surly adolescent whiner with a poor temper and total lack of self control." Not only was it totally out of character for the dude we met early in the show (he was supposed to have been raised for 15 years by mystical monks, after all), but it was annoying as hell and piss-poorly acted.

Even still, if only because you enjoyed the comics, I think it'd be worth giving Iron Fist a causal whirl sometime, knowing that it may eventually flame out. If nothing else, you'll need to watch it if you're going to watch the Defenders.

And speaking of the Defenders, I'd put its quality on the middle of the Netflix-Marvel spectrum. Better than Iron Fist and maybe, taken as a whole, Jessica Jones, but not as good as Luke Cage or Daredevil.

If you end up watching Iron Fist and Luke Cage (and the Defenders, I guess), I'm interested to hear your perspective since you're a fan of the comics.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 09-21-2017 at 10:53 AM.

vCash
    If you could binge watch one show out of 2 choices which do you pick: Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy?
    I've only seen a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy, so I'm no help there. But I'm firmly on board with those who think Breaking Bad was one of the best shows in the past decade or two.

vCash

Also, is Black Sails worth watching the whole thing? I have seen season 1 and part of 2.
    Season 2 is kind of the downer for Black Sails, finish it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    (This turned out way, way longer than I originally intended. Woops.)

The White Helmets is incredibly moving and well worth a watch. If you're like me and are only vaguely up to speed on world news, it's an eye-opener as well.

In a similar vein, the 2010 documentary Restrepo on Netflix is a must-see. It's about a group of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. Moving, informative, well-produced, exciting, funny, and everything else you could hope for in a movie featuring our troops.

There are so many options on Netflix these days that it's hard to keep up. I think I spend more time scouring the service's enormous library than actually watching its content. I really, really need to use the "My List" function more than I do.

Right now, the only series we're watching on Netflix is GLOW. It's alright, but nothing that's going to blow you away. Not a bad option if you're looking for an amusing 30-minute show that doesn't require you to invest too much attention or thought.

In the past year or so, though, I've watched a few series on Netflix, including Rectify, the first season and a half of Love, Making a Murderer, the first season and a half of Broadchurch, and Detectorists. All are solid in their own way.

Rectify is one of the better shows I've seen anywhere in recent memory and I highly recommend it. A southern drama about a dude released from prison after DNA evidence overturned his murder conviction. Set -- and filmed -- in a small, Georgia town, created and directed by a southern actor (the "bona fide suitor" from Oh Brother Where Art Thou), and stars mostly southern actors. It's totally character driven and isn't fast-paced or action packed. It's just good.

Love is a comedy about twentysomethings who suck at relationships. It's produced by Judd Apatow, and it reminds me a little of some of his older stuff. Check the trailer out to see who's in it. (The chick who played "Britta" on Community is the female lead, but I don't remember what all the main dude was in.) It's funny and easy to watch. I sort of trailed off as the second season was winding down, but I'm sure I'll revisit it later.

I assume I don't need to pump Making a Murderer to anyone. It's as interesting and engaging as you've heard.

Broadchurch is a well-produced and well-acted murder mystery focused on law enforcement in a small, tourist town on the coast of England. If you're into shows about crime or police, it's worth a look.

Detectorists is hard to describe in a way that makes it sound worthwhile, but it really is a great show. It's a comedy set in rural England and is about, well, two dudes who spend their free time out in the English countryside looking for stuff with their metal detectors. It's charming, lighthearted, funny, and well done across the board.

Oh yeah, and I've watched all the Marvel shows on Netflix, including the newest installment, The Defenders. If anyone wants my two cents on them, let me know.

As for movies, there are a ton that are on my list to watch, but like I said before, I seem to scan through them all more frequently that I watch any of them. I did watch Dr. Strange fairly recently. It was one of the better Marvel movies I've seen. And the effects were pretty damn incredible. (I should note, though, that I'm into the more tripped out side of Marvel's stuff than others may be, so Dr. Strange appealed to me more than most of the other franchises Marvel produces. (If it's any indication, I'm a big fan of the show Legion.))

Two random Netflix recs and I'll end my novel:

The Third Man. One of my favorite movies ever. WWII-era film noir. Great cast, incredibly filmed, and the single-instrument score is perfect.

Peep Show. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. It's a British comedy filmed in the first-person, so it takes a few episodes to get your bearings. Just funny as hell though.

Good post.
    Restrepo is only on DVD now so must of rotated off..but It's on my list to check out.
    My list is overloaded. I have to be in the mood to start a series... and I have I'd say over 25 series I want to check out.

I'm gonna skip on watching "Making a Murderer" due to everything I've heard about it. But if you likae that style be sure to check out The confession tapes. I think every 2 episodes is a new story.
    Rectify looks interesting..damnit theres another 4 seasons added.