Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reeds cancels Rosebowl's book signing

vCash
    I'm guessing that Reed's had no idea what the book was about when they scheduled the signing, and certainly didn't realize it was so divisive. The title of the book doesn't really give much of a hint of the contents, unless you're a message board follower. I suspect that they were just trying to help out a first-time Mississippi author, and only realized what they'd done in scheduling the signing when the Bear fans called. Not so sure they "caved under pressure" so much as they decided they'd made a mistake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I'm guessing that Reed's had no idea what the book was about when they scheduled the signing, and certainly didn't realize it was so divisive. The title of the book doesn't really give much of a hint of the contents, unless you're a message board follower. I suspect that they were just trying to help out a first-time Mississippi author, and only realized what they'd done in scheduling the signing when the Bear fans called. Not so sure they "caved under pressure" so much as they decided they'd made a mistake.
    The front of the book has "The truth behind the blind-faith culture that led to the explosive NCAA Investigation of Northern Miss Football" (Italics are mine; I'm not using their moniker). Maybe they didn't even look at the cover...maybe they are CL readers and had no idea that northern miss was being investigated, but either way, it's hard to believe that they really didn't know what it was about.

They have the book in stock, for goodness sakes.
    Last edited by jbjones; 09-14-2017 at 07:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post
    The front of the book has "The truth behind the blind-faith culture that led to the explosive NCAA Investigation of Northern Miss Football" (Italics are mine; I'm not using their moniker). Maybe they didn't even look at the cover...maybe they are CL readers and had no idea that northern miss was being investigated, but either way, it's hard to believe that they really didn't know what it was about.

They have the book in stock, for goodness sakes.
    But did they have it in stock when they scheduled the signing?

vCash
    But did they have it in stock when they scheduled the signing?
    Valid question. I see your point.

Edit: Been thinking about this, and I'm pretty sure if this was the case Reed's just knee-jerked with the response from a handful of nutjobs. Why didn't they just sit on it, call Steve and say, "hey this is a problem for us because <reasons>, and that's it". That way Steve could tweet or whatever he does for putting out a message, and tell his followers that he was moving that signing to somewhere else or just not having it? I mean, none of this shit is rocket surgery. But I'm speculating....
    Last edited by jbjones; 09-14-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Total Bullshit Speculation (good band name)

Banned
    vCash

They're acting like bullies and thugs

Quote Originally Posted by JDog13 View Post
    I don't feel starting the thread was stupid. I wanted to show that ole miss fans were acting like idiots as usual, and I wanted some pushback to let other vendors know it goes both ways. You cave to one school, you're gonna piss the other off. I feel like supporting Steve against their childish antics is warranted.

Edit: Not directed at you, just explaining to the board my reasoning.
    THeir despicable Nazi-like behavior has made cowards of businessmen and politicians in Mississippi for nearly 175 years.

If any group deserves the Death Penalty, the University of ole Miss does.

vCash
    Looks like students are starting to boycott OM. Enrollment is down...**

vCash
    Bear fans, on the Spirit, are having a boycott drive against stores that have Rosie signings. They called Reed's in Tupelo and threatened to not buy from there again if they had the signing. Reed's showed no backbone in caving to people calling, that didn't even know it existed before the spirit post.

So, if you're in the Tupelo area, let them know you won't be buying anything from them since they caved to the snow flakes. Boycott's are dumb, but it just amazes me a company lets a bunch of weirdo's dictate how they do business.
    I don't buy shit from them anyway...this just gives me another reason.

vCash
    I don't feel starting the thread was stupid. I wanted to show that ole miss fans were acting like idiots as usual, and I wanted some pushback to let other vendors know it goes both ways. You cave to one school, you're gonna piss the other off. I feel like supporting Steve against their childish antics is warranted.

Edit: Not directed at you, just explaining to the board my reasoning.
    You wanted to show them that we can be stupid, too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You wanted to show them that we can be stupid, too?
    They already see that every time you post.

vCash
    That's literally what you said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That's literally what you said.
    I can read it to you, but I know you still won't understand.

vCash
    If this is the case, then how in the hell are they still open and operating? If they didn't know what the book was about and they scheduled a signing event, then they are just plain stupid. Who would even stock a book not knowing what it was about? It could've been a book on bukaki for all they know. I don't buy this theory at all. They knew what the book was about. C'mon man, don't kid yourself.

Leave it to the PPB (pink panty boys) of Ole Miss to boycott an overpriced clothing store. I'm pretty sure that their daddies credit card bills would appreciate the boycott. I honestly don't care about this idiocy. I don't shop at Reeds. Its an overpriced boutique store. Amazon works just fine with me.
    Yes- that Behr

vCash
    I don't read or buy the CL.

vCash
    I chose to call Reeds and voice my opinion. I don't care if you approve or not..

vCash
    ONLY thing Bulldogs should buy at Reed's .. FLIM FLAM
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Don't know who posted it but I saw earlier in the thread someone said the owner of Reed's is pro-OM. Not the case. He's actually a pretty big bulldog supporter. Holds season tickets for football, baseball, and both men's and women's basketball. Really good guy and a good family friend. Im not arguing either side of the issue, just wanted to put the facts out there.

vCash
    Just saw where Steve's tupelo signing will be at Barnes and Nobles on October 15

vCash
    Guy that does the Reed's commercials used to sit by us in Section 4 years ago before we got moved a couple of times because we wouldn't up our Superdawg contribution when we "got good" under Jackie. Seating rules were awful during those years. You could have given $1000 yr for 20 years but a new Silverdawg could bump you his first year. Anyway the Reed(?) guy was super nice, there for every game, and True Maroon. (Still think they should have had the signing event though).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    Don't know who posted it but I saw earlier in the thread someone said the owner of Reed's is pro-OM. Not the case. He's actually a pretty big bulldog supporter. Holds season tickets for football, baseball, and both men's and women's basketball. Really good guy and a good family friend. Im not arguing either side of the issue, just wanted to put the facts out there.
    Most of the Reeds are Vandy grads. But they have lots of State connections too, especially by marriage (not least to the Mizes). Great folks all around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AFDawg View Post
    Most of the Reeds are Vandy grads.
    Lived among them. I can honestly say I'd live in oxford before I'd live among vandy grads again.

They are uppidity and not nearly as smart as the world gives them credit for.