Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Fitz and Our WRs Good Enough?

vCash

Are Fitz and Our WRs Good Enough?

This team is fairly simple to me.

- We are good. Possibly damn good. Not sure yet

- Our defense is damn good. Like they score points good.

- While somewhat inconsistent right now, this is the most talented kicking game we've had in years.

- We are damn good and deep at RB.

- OL is what it is. Not elite but probably a little above average.

* That really leaves one massive question to me: is our QB and WRs good enough to make talented defenses respect a vertical passing game?

Our WRs are terribly short and have little catch radius and Fitz, while he has a strong arm, lacks accuracy, horribly stares down receivers, lacks anticipation, and natural passing instincts.

This team could be damn good, but could also have an extremely one dimensional offense that struggles to stretch teams vertically.

We'll find out this week, but I'm skeptical
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-09-2017 at 11:00 PM.

vCash
    Yeah they're good enough. Can they make the plays when they have too, that's a question that has yet to be answered. That being said I thought we win 7-8 games this year. However if we can beat lsu we have a shot at 9-10. We all thought next year could be special but with the way the west is looking this year we can win 9-10. Gonna have to tighten up some things thoughx

vCash
    We'll find out the next 3 weeks. Fitz and company are plenty good enough to beat our OOC teams and 4 sec games (aTm, arky, om, and Kentucky). Not saying we'll win all 6 of those games, but we can.

Banned
    vCash
    If Fitz can't improve his accuracy, he will prevent us from competing for the 2nd slot in the SEC West. I'm not impressed with whatever he and Dan did to improve his accuracy during the off season. Some QB's have it and some just don't. I'm not convinced Fitz has it as far as being a pure QB. Hope I'm proved wrong. I hate it because I love his passion and toughness. But damn, he has GOT to get better with the passes 10 plus yards and more. if not, it will get worse as the season progresses because the tough SEC teams will just load the box on us and 17 us up the ass because of no down field threat.

vCash
    WR are dropping passes left and right. Fitz is doing fine. He is continually praised by people all around the country and continually questioned by some of our own worst fans. Let the guy grow and play football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    If Fitz can't improve his accuracy, he will prevent us from competing for the 2nd slot in the SEC West. I'm not impressed with whatever he and Dan did to improve his accuracy during the off season. Some QB's have it and some just don't. I'm not convinced Fitz has it as far as being a pure QB. Hope I'm proved wrong. I hate it because I love his passion and toughness. But damn, he has GOT to get better with the passes 10 plus yards and more. if not, it will get worse as the season progresses because the tough SEC teams will just load the box on us and 17 us up the ass because of no down field threat.
    It looks like he has regressed.

Dan does him a horrible disservice by not giving him easy throws early to find rhythm.

Fitz is football player. Not a QB yet.

Small WRs + an inaccurate QB is a double whammy and poor mix. No margin for error due to small catch radius.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    WR are dropping passes left and right. Fitz is doing fine. He is continually praised by people all around the country and continually questioned by some of our own worst fans. Let the guy grow and play football.
    Agreed. He's pretty inexperienced as a passer and he's got some development to do but the NFL scouting gurus have him ranked extremely high so they must know something .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    We are good team, but this issue will prevent us from having a chance to beat teams that we struggle to run on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Agreed. He's pretty inexperienced as a passer and he's got some development to do but the NFL scouting gurus have him ranked extremely high so they must know something .
    They like his huge tools, but we've seen him more.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    He is in his what, 5th year as a QB in his life? He has to be more consistent with his footwork and unfortunately just needs more time to get better at the reads. I think we forget how raw he was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    True but tools can be developed into weapons and remember he only played one year of qb in hs and that was running the option. This is only the beginning of his second year as a starter in the sec. Still has a high ceiling.

vCash
    This team is fairly simple to me.

- We are good. Possibly damn good. Not sure yet

- Our defense is damn good. Like they score points good.

- While somewhat inconsistent right now, this is the most talented kicking game we've had in years.

- We are damn good and deep at RB.

- OL is what it is. Not elite but probably a little above average.

* That really leaves one massive question to me: is our QB and WRs good enough to make talented defenses respect a vertical passing game?

Our WRs are terribly short and have little catch radius and Fitz, while he has a strong arm, lacks accuracy, horribly stares down receivers, lacks anticipation, and natural passing instincts.

This team could be damn good, but could also have an extremely one dimensional offense that struggles to stretch teams vertically.

We'll find out this week, but I'm skeptical

Very good, honest post Shotgun. I'm not one for lengthy posts but I'd like to say this... Fitzgerald worries the crap out of me. The guy has ALL the physical attributes to be the greatest QB in MSU history... and one of the all-time best in the SEC. But I'm worried about what's between his ears. His slow starts show either his lack of maturity, his lack of confidence in his decision making or his nerves aren't where they need to be to be the best. I'm afraid that slow starts against great defenses like LSU, Alabama and possibly Auburn will be insurmountable. Dude needs to learn to be a self motivator and come out firing on all cylinders. Be a leader and and make smart decisions. He threw way too much to the wrong receiver early on tonight instead of checking down like he should.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm not sure you are asking the right question. Are our QB's and WR's good enough to make talented defenses respect the vertical passing game? That's easy....no, they aren't. If they were, we'd be a consensus Top 5 team. But, that's not what we are asking them to do. Mullen didn't even ask Dak to stretch the field vertically much during his 5th year.

To me, the correct question is "are our QB and WR's good enough to make talented defenses respect the intermediate passing game enough to keep the running game going?" I think the answer is yes, they are good enough but are not consistent enough....yet. Fitz needs to not make throws like he did tonight on the near Pick 6, and he needs to know when to tuck and run just a little bit faster sometimes. And there are still little things like him throwing a pass 100 mph to Jordan Thomas when he's only 4 yards in front of him that need to be cleaned up. But overall, we are getting there. Next week will be the big measuring stick we have been waiting for since last December.

vCash
    Wha?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    I'm not sure you are asking the right question. Are our QB's and WR's good enough to make talented defenses respect the vertical passing game? That's easy....no, they aren't. If they were, we'd be a consensus Top 5 team. But, that's not what we are asking them to do. Mullen didn't even ask Dak to stretch the field vertically much during his 5th year.

To me, the correct question is "are our QB and WR's good enough to make talented defenses respect the intermediate passing game enough to keep the running game going?" I think the answer is yes, they are good enough but are not consistent enough....yet. Fitz needs to not make throws like he did tonight on the near Pick 6, and he needs to know when to tuck and run just a little bit faster sometimes. And there are still little things like him throwing a pass 100 mph to Jordan Thomas when he's only 4 yards in front of him that need to be cleaned up. But overall, we are getting there. Next week will be the big measuring stick we have been waiting for since last December.
    Great post and accurate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post

Teams with really good 2ndarys and an active front 7 will eat that up. LSU may fall into that CAT, AU does on half of that.... I dunno about UGA...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Keep it PG please. And no, I don't think they're good enough.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Alabama will eat that up. LSU may fall into that CAT, AU does on half of that.... I dunno about UGA...
    Fixed it for you. But, you are absolutely correct. Those type teams are few and far between, and generally "eat up" most every offense.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    To me, Fitz needs early "hard" contact in the running game to get going in the passing game. He ran a few times early tonight but never got that "hit" to settle him down.

This is a double edged sword because getting hit increases chances of injury, but when you have a guy who needs that contact to zone in you have to let him run it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    He is in his what, 5th year as a QB in his life? He has to be more consistent with his footwork and unfortunately just needs more time to get better at the reads. I think we forget how raw he was.
    I agree 100% but we need him to be good now. Not in 3 years.

This is a win NOW team. We may be fielding a team with double digit NFL players right now.

Development is great, but let's 17ing win something.