Thread: Electric Fences for Dogs

vCash

Electric Fences for Dogs

I was wondering if any of you has any experiences with electrical fences for dogs.

My family and I recently relocated to Starkville, and I am currently renting a house while my house in Tupelo sells. Well, this house, because of where we have to park our cars, we cannot close the gate to enclose the fence. I have a dog that is part Labrador and part boxer who is about 9 months old and around 53 lbs right now. She really needs to be outside, particularly on days like today, but she definitely has a strong tendency to leave the yard and head down the street.

I wondered if you guys had any recommendations on what the best electrical fence or the best fix for this is? I've looked at both the underground wire fences as well as the wireless fences. I think for renting purposes, the wireless would be the way to go, but I'm not sure just how effective the wireless fences are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I was wondering if any of you has any experiences with electrical fences for dogs.

My family and I recently relocated to Starkville, and I am currently renting a house while my house in Tupelo sells. Well, this house, because of where we have to park our cars, we cannot close the gate to enclose the fence. I have a dog that is part Labrador and part boxer who is about 9 months old and around 53 lbs right now. She really needs to be outside, particularly on days like today, but she definitely has a strong tendency to leave the yard and head down the street.

I wondered if you guys had any recommendations on what the best electrical fence or the best fix for this is? I've looked at both the underground wire fences as well as the wireless fences. I think for renting purposes, the wireless would be the way to go, but I'm not sure just how effective the wireless fences are.

I have had an underground fence installed for my dogs for a little over a year now. It was and still is the best investment I have made for my dogs.

I have 2 lab-pitbull mixes that are very tough and one of which is extremely stubborn. I, like you, wondered about the wireless fence. But just about every review and every person I talked to said the wireless connection was weak/faulty at best. I ended up going with the, I believe it's called "Simply Safe Pet Fence" that you can get from Lowes. I then paired that with the "Stubborn Dog" collars.

To tell you how strong the collars are, one of my dogs is a rescue that absolutely hates anyone or anything that is not family or friend coming anywhere near. The other, well, he's just a stubborn pain in my ass! I actually went this route because of the stubborn dog. I had them both in a ridiculously huge dog pen and that joker, no matter what I did, would be in the driveway waiting on me when I got home damn near everyday.

Neither one of my dogs wants anything to do with shock, even after a year! When the collar beeps to warn them they look like show ponies putting it in reverse to get back!

Now, don't get me wrong. No fence you get will be worth it if you don't put the time in like the manual says to train your dog and get them used to it. I put mine through about a months worth of training and have only had one issue but that was my kid's fault, not the dogs.

vCash
    Yes invisible fence was the best investment for our boykin spaniels who love to hunt on our 2 acre property. It works so well that after a year they don't leave the property even without their collar on.

vCash
    I have a Pet Safe wireless for my black lab and it works great. He was a definite roamer and spent a lot of time in my neighbors pond and anywhere people were outside. Took me about an hour to set it up but after about two days he got the point. The down side is that the collar needs to be recharged about once every week or two BUT he now knows his boundaries and no longer leaves the yard (this is after about 3 months of wearing the collar). Cost of the system was about $300 but it was really really easy to set up.