Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    The thing is this, the whole mid-latitude setup is WAYYYY different than for Katrina.
    My point is all of the models were/are taking into account an increase of overall forward motion to allow the front to turn it. To whicn has not occurred and looks like it's slowing down jogging south and west.

Here is another overall question for all of these storms the past few weeks. Why are these things moving so unnaturally. Katia is and has been sitting in almost the same spot for days, when the models has it already fizzled out by now? Irma keeps shifting the cone. Harvey had more rain on the hisicirally dry west side than the eastern side that was over the water. How did the water continue to just inundate the Western side of Harvey when most storms get drenched on the eastern side?

Being from the MS gulf coast and living through multiple storms including getting wipes out by Katrina, I've new fascinated with and watched these things for over 30 years. This year's storms are. It acting "natural."

I want to see your response before bringing something else up.

vCash
    Just my opinion and I may be dead wrong...I think there's just a lack of strong upper level steering currents right now and the storms are just meandering around. Normally, by this time of year cold fronts are starting to try and make their way into at least the northern US which is enough to pull tropical systems north. A very zonal quiet pattern now is not doing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    My point is all of the models were/are taking into account an increase of overall forward motion to allow the front to turn it. To whicn has not occurred and looks like it's slowing down jogging south and west.

Here is another overall question for all of these storms the past few weeks. Why are these things moving so unnaturally. Katia is and has been sitting in almost the same spot for days, when the models has it already fizzled out by now? Irma keeps shifting the cone. Harvey had more rain on the hisicirally dry west side than the eastern side that was over the water. How did the water continue to just inundate the Western side of Harvey when most storms get drenched on the eastern side?

Being from the MS gulf coast and living through multiple storms including getting wipes out by Katrina, I've new fascinated with and watched these things for over 30 years. This year's storms are. It acting "natural."

Oh shit, rouge now knows more about weather than a weather guy. Much like his hitting instruction prowess.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post

We are still working on our hurricane models. The problems we are having with Hurricanes on our models are that they are SO different than mid-latitude systems, thus we have to basically re-write all the formulas. Things are necessarily moving unnaturally. Tropical cyclones move to the best possible environment for it until they are "nudged" into landfall. With this in mind. Many, including myself, were expecting the storm to be "nudged" towards the Eastern side of Florida and follow the Gulf Stream. So these storms are still moving naturally.

The NE quadrant of the storm is usually where you get the strongest WINDS not necessarily the most rain. That's just due to the natural dynamics of a tropical system that like.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    We are still working on our hurricane models. The problems we are having with Hurricanes on our models are that they are SO different than mid-latitude systems, thus we have to basically re-write all the formulas. Things are necessarily moving unnaturally. Tropical cyclones move to the best possible environment for it until they are "nudged" into landfall. With this in mind. Many, including myself, were expecting the storm to be "nudged" towards the Eastern side of Florida and follow the Gulf Stream. So these storms are still moving naturally.

The NE quadrant of the storm is usually where you get the strongest WINDS not necessarily the most rain. That's just due to the natural dynamics of a tropical system that like.
    That's why Mississippi coast got the worst of the wind in Katrina. Much worse than New Orleans, which got flooding. I remember reading that was the reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    That's why Mississippi coast got the worst of the wind in Katrina. Much worse than New Orleans, which got flooding. I remember reading that was the reason.
    Correct. The worst possible winds are going to be in the NE quadrant of the storm. No matter what.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Correct. The worst possible winds are going to be in the NE quadrant of the storm. No matter what.
    And your tornado threat.

vCash
    Irma back to a Cat 5 with 160mph winds.

vCash
    I'm no weather guru so I'll ask, did anyone anticipate Irma slowing down? Now at 13mph. Does that put gulf in play or included as part of the model runs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Irma back to a Cat 5 with 160mph winds.
    I've seen people saying it has slowed because of Cuba, hopefully to start the turn north. Being on the MS coast I hope that's the case but still not seeing anything but West.

vCash
    Forecast is it turns north tomorrow. If my midadternoon it's still chugging west then I might get a bit concerned. One thing is it going over Cuba should weaken it some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Forecast is it turns north tomorrow. If my midadternoon it's still chugging west then I might get a bit concerned. One thing is it going over Cuba should weaken it some.
    I hope so for our own sake in MS. Truth be told though somebody is about to get rocked, I hope somehow this thing dies down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    People always pay attention to category. The size of the storm and atmospheric pressure coming with it are much more of an indicator of potential damages Imo. Katrina was a Cat 3, but the storm took up the entire Gulf of Mexico and was near the record for the lowest pressure ever (lower is stronger). The pressure is a decent indicator of how much water it's carrying too.
    Pressure is 930 millibar so is that high or low?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Pressure is 930 millibar so is that high or low?
    It's higher than what it was. Cuba is providing a lot of shear and inhibition at the moment.

vCash

Wow NAM calling for hit near Apalachicola

It's higher than what it was. Cuba is providing a lot of shear and inhibition at the moment.
    then turning up, NW, towards midsouth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    then turning up, NW, towards midsouth
    Word of advice, never trust the NAM with a tropical cyclone. The NAM was made solely for mid-latitude systems, not hurricanes. Now, if you want to look at a model designed for hurricanes by the US, then look at the HWRF model.

vCash

Alot of weather gurus put stock in the ECMWF, even for tropical

Word of advice, never trust the NAM with a tropical cyclone. The NAM was made solely for mid-latitude systems, not hurricanes. Now, if you want to look at a model designed for hurricanes by the US, then look at the HWRF model.
    systems. Ref, would you agree w/that?

vCash
    BTW, I blv the US spent alot of $ on its modeling (GFS), are we getting our bang for the buck from that? I've read they are deep physics issues w/the model

vCash
    systems. Ref, would you agree w/that?
    The Euro is the cream of the crop as far as models are concerned. GFS lags a little bit behind, but considering the budget it is running on it'll do.

Just remember that each model has strengths and weaknesses. The ECMWF has been really good at handling major systems like Irma and Harvey. But it does matter on the initialization on how good the model will be.

vCash
    BTW, I blv the US spent alot of $ on its modeling (GFS), are we getting our bang for the buck from that? I've read they are deep physics issues w/the model
    While we have spent a good amount on the GFS, there is SOOOO much more needed. We are still lagging so far behind in terms of modeling. The reason is just due to the fact that we started off behind the 8-ball. We will continue to fight it though.