Thread: My thoughts on the game

vCash

My thoughts on the game

1. Four guys need to run the ball. Fitzgerald, Aeris, Kylin Hill, and Nick Gibson. D. Lee is not the answer.

2. Reese looked good at RT at times. At other times he looked like a turnstile. He better be ready for the LSU/Georgia/Auburn stretch or he will get Fitz killed. The potential is there.

3. Jeff Simmons is a 3-year player. He won't be here as a senior.

4. The D looked organized and well coached. They knew their assignments.

5. Playing K. Thompson was the right move. Everyone says he should have redshirted like Ole Miss tried with Patterson. Everyone forgets that Pellerin was actually #2 while they tried to redshirt Patterson. We don't have anyone that could have played a backup role while Thompson redshirted. Key can backup 2 years then start 2 years. Mullen is recruiting well behind him, so we don't need 5 years from him.

6. Farrod Green is an overachiever. Not a special talent, but he works and grinds. I really like him. Tough as nails.

7. I worry about the wideouts against SEC competion. Except for Gray of course. But I expect Mixon to be more involved.

8. Willie Gay might look like Reuben Foster to me.

9. Guys that might struggle for meaningful snaps other than special teams are Jung, Rayford, Dontavian Lee, Murphy.

10. Good depth on D. Best since the 1A/1B days.

11. I'm still perplexed that Aeris runs to the left with the ball in his right arm. Still perplexed.

12. Logan Cooke is a weapon.

vCash
    Pretty much on target. Center needs to work on snaps to be competitive in SEC play.

vCash
    Y'all thought we might look like the Relf spread. Well, we've got the shoestring shotgun snap down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    9. Guys that might struggle for meaningful snaps other than special teams are Jung, Rayford, Dontavian Lee, Murphy.
    Jung mystifies me. I thought he was a to notch talent.

vCash
    1. Four guys need to run the ball. Fitzgerald, Aeris, Kylin Hill, and Nick Gibson. D. Lee is not the answer.
    Correct, but in this order: Aeris, Hill, Fitz, Gibson. Having said that I bet we see a lot of D. Lee. I hope not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Correct, but in this order: Aeris, Hill, Fitz, Gibson. Having said that I bet we see a lot of D. Lee. I hope not.
    Agree and I hope not as well

vCash
    11. I'm still perplexed that Aeris runs to the left with the ball in his right arm. Still perplexed.
    That's becoming more and more common throughout football. I'm no expert so I'm not completely sure why, but my guess would be that some now believe the vulnerability while switching hands has become riskier compared to just clamping it in one arm from the outset, due to the ever increasing speed and athleticism of the game. In any case, Aeris is far from the only one who doesn't switch now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    I think Fitzgerald has to at least be #2 if we want this offense to be as good as it can be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    That's becoming more and more common throughout football. I'm no expert so I'm not completely sure why, but my guess would be that some now believe the vulnerability while switching hands has become riskier compared to just clamping it in one arm from the outset, due to the ever increasing speed and athleticism of the game. In any case, Aeris is far from the only one who doesn't switch now.
    I think you're right. I would assume they've done studies and seen that fumbles actually increase when switching arms, or at least I hope so. It does seem to follow logically. Plus, how often is the RB further to the outside than any defender? Usually there are still guys on either side of you, so if you switch arms, there's still the risk of a player coming at you from the ball side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    You don't have to switch arms. You start with it in your left arm from the outset when the play is going left.

vCash
    You don't have to switch arms. You start with it in your left arm from the outset when the play is going left.
    There are some RBs that don't switch arms for whatever reason. It could be that he isn't comfortable with it in his left.

vCash
    After what I saw out of Kylin Hill, it really makes me hope the staff puts Marcus Murphy on offense as well. Can you imagine the explosiveness with Hill in the backfield, Murphy in the slot, and Heath/Jason on the outside?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    There are some RBs that don't switch arms for whatever reason. It could be that he isn't comfortable with it in his left.
    That's going to be my guess. It didn't get corrected in junior high, and he was allowed to do it all through high school. By the time he got to MSU, it felt totally foreign to carry in the correct arm.

vCash
    I always thought the advantage of carrying the ball in your off arm was that it gives you more stiff arm capability. I have never thought it prevented fumbles.

I think most people have a dominate hand/arm. I have always thought if you carried the ball in your dominate arm then you have a better chance of hanging onto the ball. Yes, I know you are putting the ball on the side of the hit but I say that's only after you get the edge. If you cut up at any point, you lose any advantage you gain and it's in your weaker arm. Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    I always thought the advantage of carrying the ball in your off arm was that it gives you more stiff arm capability. I have never thought it prevented fumbles.

I think most people have a dominate hand/arm. I have always thought if you carried the ball in your dominate arm then you have a better chance of hanging onto the ball. Yes, I know you are putting the ball on the side of the hit but I say that's only after you get the edge. If you cut up at any point, you lose any advantage you gain and it's in your weaker arm. Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.
    Agree on the ability to stiff arm. You can't stiff arm with the arm you are using to carry the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    After what I saw out of Kylin Hill, it really makes me hope the staff puts Marcus Murphy on offense as well. Can you imagine the explosiveness with Hill in the backfield, Murphy in the slot, and Heath/Jason on the outside?
    What makes you think Jason is coming to MSU?

I hope he does!