Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 7dawg View Post
    You offer other options and go to other schools to visit. You try and get her to like another school if State is not an option. If she chooses Oxford, then you support her.

My wife and I both graduated from State. She graduated from UM law, but bleeds maroon. We are pushing our children to make their own choice (I am actually hoping Vanderbilt to be close or MIT, yes they are much smarter than myself).
    If they cheered or played sports at UM, I would support them and wear red and blue to the games. If they just attended UM, I would tease the heck out of them and never wear red and blue.
    If your kid chooses MIT, let me know. I know a good bit about the school. Lots of great bulldogs in the Boston area, and I always love to meet them. Hell, come visit for a fall weekend with the alumni up here!

vCash
    You let her go and keep rooting for State because college sports aren't that serious?

vCash
    Have you asked her WHY? What is it (amongst every other school in the nation) that would cause her to choose UNM?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugdog View Post
    Thank you for all the advice. Really appreciate it. Great group of folks on this site. Will keep you updated.
    Until then

HailState.
    Best of luck. If you would be so inclined to let us know why she's going there, maybe we could give better advice. Hope all works out best for all.
    Last edited by Bully13; 09-04-2017 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    Both of my parents are OM grads, while my oldest brother and I are State grads and die hard fans. My other brother went to USM. Sister went to the W.

Four children and not a single one followed in their footsteps.

vCash
    Tell her she's out of the Will. But wish her the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You let her go and keep rooting for State because college sports aren't that serious?
    I know you always have the high and mighty answer for everything but maybe it has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with the atmosphere and culture there.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    You tell her that you support her decision to be an adult and go where she wants. Then you tell her that she needs to be responsible with the student loans that she is going to have to pull out to cover for the money she will not be receiving from you to pay for her expenses not covered in her scholarship.

My dad went to State, my 3 older brothers went to State. All of their wives went to State but one. I went to State. My wife went to State. My niece, 2 nephews, and her husband went to State. I have had 5 English Bulldogs. I am past president of an MSU alumni association. I have been a season ticket holder for many years. Everyone that knows me would agree that I'm passionate about my Bulldogs.

Here is my problem: My daughter wants to go to UNM or Grenada without the lake, to cheer and go to school. She is a top notch cheerleader who will make it and probably get some sort of scholarship. I know I should support my daughter, but I have already been thru 3 bottles of Pepto, prescription of Xanax, and a case of white cans.

Thoughts??

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailmari View Post
    Both of my parents are OM grads, while my oldest brother and I are State grads and die hard fans. My other brother went to USM. Sister went to the W.

Four children and not a single one followed in their footsteps.
    I graduated from State, my wife from USM. My two oldest are currently going to Belhaven and MUW. My two youngest love Texas and won't go to a Mississippi school.

vCash
    Bribe her...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I would respect her right to choose, but she better be prepared to go without any financial help from me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I would respect her right to choose, but she better be prepared to go without any financial help from me.
    That was the case with me had I chosen to go to Ole Miss or LSU. It was mainly because my parents thought that they were party schools.

vCash
    My dad went to State, my 3 older brothers went to State. All of their wives went to State but one. I went to State. My wife went to State. My niece, 2 nephews, and her husband went to State. I have had 5 English Bulldogs. I am past president of an MSU alumni association. I have been a season ticket holder for many years. Everyone that knows me would agree that I'm passionate about my Bulldogs.

Here is my problem: My daughter wants to go to UNM or Grenada without the lake, to cheer and go to school. She is a top notch cheerleader who will make it and probably get some sort of scholarship. I know I should support my daughter, but I have already been thru 3 bottles of Pepto, prescription of Xanax, and a case of white cans.

Thoughts??
    Well like my Bro-in-laws dad, a cigar boy, told his sister when she went to OM. Have a good time but the check is going to State. And it did. This was back in the early 70's and he did.

vCash
    Just be happy she is going to college but I wouldn't buy season tickets and tail gate. I would let her know that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    Say you're on your own money wise if you go to ole miss.
    This. I told mine Med center would be the only avenue that TSUN would see any of my $$.

Banned
    vCash

Thoughts??
    Can I ask if she goes to Jackson Academy? I've heard too many stories like yours where the kids that are State legacies get brainwashed by all things OM at that school. Many times the kids go to OM because of their friends.

I'm with others by saying she can get a cheer scholarship at State and as her parent I really would tell her the concerns you have of her going to OM. The party atmosphere and the arrogance and overinflated sense of self worth. It's trouble in the making in so many ways. Get her on campus as. Any times as you can this fall!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    I've seen too many decent boys and girls, once they go to Ole Miss, become psycho druggies, or alcoholics, or embrace an alternative lifestyle.
    I'm 4 gens on my Dad's side, 3 on Mom's. We've had 3 black sheep of the family go to UMiss in the last century.

My uncle, a fine artist. Oozes the elitist attitude, even with family. Lost all his OM juice when Khyatt resigned. The family hardly speaks to him.

My sister, English major, semi-functional alcoholic. Currently between husbands and teaching jobs. She's "persona non grata" with most of us.

Baby sister wanted to study medicine and went to UMMC after State. Her indirect exposure to the strain has put her on a 'couch-trip' and she's blaming all of us for her issues.

...Sorry about the OP's daughter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    Can I ask if she goes to Jackson Academy? I've heard too many stories like yours where the kids that are State legacies get brainwashed by all things OM at that school. Many times the kids go to OM because of their friends.

I'm with others by saying she can get a cheer scholarship at State and as her parent I really would tell her the concerns you have of her going to OM. The party atmosphere and the arrogance and overinflated sense of self worth. It's trouble in the making in so many ways. Get her on campus as. Any times as you can this fall!!
    MC. I have voiced my concern. I have college paid for thru MPpact. Not a concern.
    I will not be going to any games. The wife will do that. You can catch me solo at the Junction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    This. I told mine Med center would be the only avenue that TSUN would see any of my $$.
    I'm sitting in my living room with two of my own and I want to thank you for reminding me to let them know for the 10th time that I love and support them; however if they choose to go to UM they are on their own. That stance is only for Oxford but my coin isn't going there. Not today, tomorrow or ever.

Thanks again.

vCash
    MC. I have voiced my concern. I have college paid for thru MPpact. Not a concern.
    I will not be going to any games. The wife will do that. You can catch me solo at the Junction.
    MC is weird in that they have State cycles and Ole Miss cycles. Or as we call them "State Classes" and "Ole Miss Classes".